Live notes from the first South America cruise on the Star

GUEST080219

After 17 day repositioning on the Sun down to Valparaiso we yesterday started the first regular 14 day cruise around Cape Horn.

Although I am to lazy for a real live review I wanted to share some news for those doing this cruise in the next weeks.

First great news is that we have a destination lecturer on board. He did his first lecture about he first two ports this morning in the theatre and will be available for Q&A every evening near the atrium. He will do some live commentary later in this cruise as well and hold some special events. IMHO really awesome news.

Freestyle daily day 1

eb16141888ea72ea4a0dbcb9d604e97e.jpg

View of the port in Valparaiso

4d156ad92b1d5571647a03ce27ff96d3.jpg

20d75e5ba95bdfb275b983536ed566d4.jpg

Thanks for the posting. Glad to see there is a lecturer. The first time we did this trip on the Norwegian Crown there was a professor from the University of Georgia, and the place was packed.

Looks like there is some nice music also.

After 17 day repositioning on the Sun down to Valparaiso we yesterday started the first regular 14 day cruise around Cape Horn.

Although I am to lazy for a real live review I wanted to share some news for those doing this cruise in the next weeks.

First great news is that we have a destination lecturer on board. He did his first lecture about he first two ports this morning in the theatre and will be available for Q&A every evening near the atrium. He will do some live commentary later in this cruise as well and hold some special events. IMHO really awesome news.

Freestyle daily day 1

eb16141888ea72ea4a0dbcb9d604e97e.jpg

View of the port in Valparaiso

4d156ad92b1d5571647a03ce27ff96d3.jpg

20d75e5ba95bdfb275b983536ed566d4.jpg

Great news to read about a South American trip. Thank you. I'm doing the trip going out on Jan 2, but in reverse order so I'm looking forward to reading your review. A guest lecturer will be great as I know very little about where this itinerary is taking us.

Great to see dance classes scheduled. That's what I love to do on Sea Days. Love the Latin fitness classes too! I'm too lazy to bother going to a gym, but dancing is fun! I usually attend all the entertainment crews dance parties too. Don't know the music groups on board, but I remember Hector from the Spirit Canary Islands last January. He ran 'name that tune' one night in place of Gio. Love that game too, but wouldn't say I'm overly good at it. I usually know all the lyrics, but not the name of the song. I'm certainly going to enjoy the lectures too! Thanks for the great info!

Fabulous thread! Thank you so much for posting the Freestyle Dailies. We are doing the reverse B2B on the last BA to Valparaiso then on to SF in March. My big question is, were you required to get off the ship in Valparaiso? If you don't know could you ask at the registration desk for me? I will take a tour in Valpo if DH does not need to exit the ship.

So pleased we will have a destination lecturer available! Again, thanks so much for posting.

Thanks for posting micm. There's very limited, and somewhat conflicting, information about whether taxis/drivers will be at the port in Chacabuco so it would be greatly appreciated if you (or anyone else on later cruises) would report back anything you find out there. Thanks and enjoy the cruise!

Looks like from the daily it is open from 5:30pm to 5:30am only.

Thanks - I should have cross checked. I thought I had read somewhere that it had limited hours! (Looks like I won't be lunching on hot buffalo wings!)

Michael,

Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to post this information for all us future cruises. It's great to have some insight as to what to expect as (for us at least) this is a very different cruise to what we normally do.

Even if you only have time to post the Dailies that would be so appreciated.

By the way, your title was almost correct, what it should have read was:

'Live notes from the first South America cruise by the Star!' LOL :)

Have a great cruise.

Karen

Fabulous thread! Thank you so much for posting the Freestyle Dailies. We are doing the reverse B2B on the last BA to Valparaiso then on to SF in March. My big question is, were you required to get off the ship in Valparaiso? If you don't know could you ask at the registration desk for me? I will take a tour in Valpo if DH does not need to exit the ship.

So pleased we will have a destination lecturer available! Again, thanks so much for posting.

Back to back cruisers could stay on board if they wish. We have around 700 guests who are doing the back to back cruise but most went off the day. Just me and a couple of others stayed on board. If you don't change the room you do not have to attend muster drill again.