PVP vs. just booking on Carnival site?

Our stalker/PVP is annoying. She actually called me out on booking a cruise online myself once. Wanted to know why I didn't use her on a booking.

For me I prefer to handle it myself or use my TA. Often my TA kicks in a nice on board credit that makes them a better deal than Carnival direct. My two cents

I have used the same PVP since 2006, She knows when we cruise and what type of room we like. Makes it so much easier to call her up and tell her when and where we want to go. Find a good one and stick with them.

We have always called the 1-800 number and been lucky with whoever answers. DH and I travel with another couple and although we book separately we want adjacent cabins and bookings linked. We always know what we want down to cabin numbers before we call and then one of us books (with a hold on the second cabin needed) and then the other takes the phone and does their booking.

I even called recently because there was a small price drop on our upcoming cruise and I couldn't get the price protection form to come up on my computer. The nice lady who answered the phone said they weren't allowed to fill out the form but she would see what she could do and voila! in a few minutes it was done.

• 4 years later...

I was curious about the benefits of a PVP Vs. TA Vs. Self booking which lead me to this post. I thought maybe there was something I was missing by not going through a PVP and after reading this I don't think there is.  One thing I will add to what has already been said is that for My wife and I, half of the fun of going on a vacation is the research and planning. We are looking at itineraries and mock bookings constantly. Once we get something looking promising then we go into overdrive with research. We look at different ships, dates, cabins, itineraries, events, etc. We also love to change our mind right before booking. We originally were going to book a 15 day Hawaii cruse then got the news that Mardi Gras was doing a 15 day and did a 180 and booked that. I don't think a PVP could keep up with us lol. We also hate to be called and deal with things on the phone. We would much rather just go to the website and handle everything through there.    

• Like 1

Odd, I rec'd a phone call from a PVP too. He knew I was looking on line due to VIFP# and other personal info.  Have 18 Carnival cruises under my belt and only used a PVP last cruise because of a girls cruise and sharing cabins. My PVP was very nice, but a huge PITA to reach. Just booked a quick 5 day cruise on line. Easy Peasy!!

7 hours ago, geoffrywillhardt said:

I was curious about the benefits of a PVP Vs. TA Vs. Self booking which lead me to this post. I thought maybe there was something I was missing by not going through a PVP and after reading this I don't think there is.  One thing I will add to what has already been said is that for My wife and I, half of the fun of going on a vacation is the research and planning. We are looking at itineraries and mock bookings constantly. Once we get something looking promising then we go into overdrive with research. We look at different ships, dates, cabins, itineraries, events, etc. We also love to change our mind right before booking. We originally were going to book a 15 day Hawaii cruse then got the news that Mardi Gras was doing a 15 day and did a 180 and booked that. I don't think a PVP could keep up with us lol. We also hate to be called and deal with things on the phone. We would much rather just go to the website and handle everything through there.    

Having a PVP certainly doesn't mean you can't research yourself.  I booked my first 2 cruises using a travel agent, then booked the next 2 myself online.  After that I got a call from my PVP and after discussing things with him, researching myself, etc., I ended up booking with the PVP.  Since then I've only booked using him.  I still do research myself to find itineraries, look at ships, find dates, etc., but I end up getting pricing from multiple itineraries from my PVP and then booking.  My PVP can find better room choices than I can, and he also lets me know about upcoming specials.  For example, he sent me the info about the Mardi Gras right when it was released.  Yes, while it was public, I don't browse the Carnival site every day so I was able to jump on the maiden cruise in Europe and get a great room.  While I didn't book it, I also found out about dirt cheap, last minute cruises on Vista when it had service.

3 hours ago, MizzCard said:

Odd, I rec'd a phone call from a PVP too. He knew I was looking on line due to VIFP# and other personal info.  Have 18 Carnival cruises under my belt and only used a PVP last cruise because of a girls cruise and sharing cabins. My PVP was very nice, but a huge PITA to reach. Just booked a quick 5 day cruise on line. Easy Peasy!!

I would say you don't have a good PVP.  Mine is super easy to reach via phone, email, or through FB.  He also works late into the evening to cater to his clients.

• 2 weeks later...

I used a PVP for my first few. My first booking was with family so she helped get us together. She was also a big help when we booked a large group of my wife's parents friends and family for my FiL's 60th birthday. (8 cabins or so ) She got everyone pretty close together with zero work on my part. Since I was organizing for a bunch of ~60-year olds, most of them non-travelers, it was nice that I could just tell them "Call this person at this number / extension and pay for your cruise."

The annoyance was that every time we logged in to look at something, even if we were just causally browsing with no intent to travel, I'd get calls the next day on my home number, my personal cell, and my work number, from her, saying that it was a great time to book because of... reduced deposits/etc. It was pretty annoying. To the point where I wouldn't use the Carnival site because I didn't want to trigger multiple voice mails (and emails) the next day.

Nobody likes conflict so I didn't want to tell her to stop calling every time, I just stopped using the Carnival site for a while. Now I use a large warehouse club's travel site and get a gift card, plus 2% back. And now I can log in to the Carnival site... the calls all stopped the day I booked the first one with the warehouse club.

If I was booking for a large group of technophobes again, then I'd use a PVP, but other than that, I'm happy with the kickback $ from the warehouse club.

We used a TA for our first few cruises.  Then they went out of business.  I e-mailed Carnival and requested a PVP that had been with the company for at least ten years and had sailed on a few of their ships.  The following day I received an e-mail introducing himself and giving me his history with the company.  He had been there for twelve years and had sailed on seven of their ships.  

I explained that we always cruise with my brother and sister in law.  We pick out the ship, date and close to what cabins we want.  We always choose cabins that we can open the divider on the balconies.  He told me that I would have to call him to make the reservation as he doesn't like doing it through e-mails.  

I called him and told him what we needed.  He found two cabins in the area that we were interested in that the divider could be opened.  I gave him all of the information to book ours.  He then put a hold on the second cabin and told me to have brother call within 24 hours to book theirs.  I added that we only cruise every other year and we would contact him when we were ready to book again.

That was a few years back.  Now when it's close to cruise again, he will call and ask if we are ready to book.  For our upcoming cruise on the Mardi Gras, he saw that I was looking and called.  I checked with brother and we decided on what ship, dates and general area on the ship.  I called him back and asked which cabins in a general area had the dividers that could be opened.  He looked on his site and found that it doesn't show for the Mardi Gras.  He put me on hold and checked with his supervisor.  He came back on and said that his supervisor couldn't figure it out either but was checking with their supervisor.  Apparently it hasn't been figured out yet.  He did say that they usually start with the first two cabins at the front, then work their way back.  So we picked two and hope that they will.

After picking the cabins, he checked and found that we were eligible for a reduced rate, reduced down payment and CC.  He then checked with brother's account and said that they were eligible too.  He asked if we wanted to use our credit card number that he has on file.  We were booked.  He asked if I had brother's Credit card number.  I did and he took it and theirs was done.  He gave me both booking numbers and cabin assignments and made sure both bookings were linked.  Then he sent both of us our booking information.  

With our TA, what we could see online was limited after we booked.  Now we can see everything.  We lucked out with this PVP. 

Edited by RWolver672
  • Like 1

On 5/28/2015 at 10:17 PM, isaiahsnana said:

You can look on Carnival funville website, folks can recommend good pvp's on that website. Just do a search. That is how I found mine, and I have been very pleased. She is always looking for ways to increase my OBC and contacts me if she finds something of interest but does not bug me.

According to this article,  https://*****/forum/post/carnival-pulls-the-plug  Carnival Funville was shut down three years ago.

Edited by RWolver672

On 5/26/2015 at 4:55 PM, kittychick78 said:

So I'm looking at booking another cruise for this Dec. My only other cruise, we just booked online at the time (2012).

I was online today playing around with booking options, and of course tonight I get a call from a PVP from Carnival. She wasn't exactly what I would call a seasoned PVP. She was fine, but I could tell she was just reading things off the computer, inexperienced, and didn't give me any info I didn't already know, phrasing things in an annoying sales pitchy type way...that approach just turns me off. Even basic questions (does booking using my VIFP vs early saver still give me price protection) required her to go silent for 2 minutes while she looked that up...that seems like a pretty basic query that she should know.

I'm 100% booking a cruise, but I'd rather give the sale to either PVP that is useful to me, or just do it myself.

Anyway, here are my questions:

What are the pros and cons of using PVP vs. booking online? Are there any specific benefits?

What method do you usually use?

And if you use a PVP, do you have any recommendations and extension # of someone who really knows their stuff and works for you? If you aren't allowed to post that directly, feel free to PM me. Or even just general feedback of what I should expect from a "good" PVP.

Thanks in advance!

We have a PVP, cause if there's a problem, they take care of it right away cause they have control of the booking!

But you'll find those who swear by a TA, and others who want to book themselves, so its your preference!

Edited by AmBear

TA's can frequently get you OBC that isn't offered via booking online or with a PVP, but I like having control of my booking. I have a great PVP that I will call and finalize deals with. There have been times that she has been on the phone with me for an extended period of time finding options for us. She checks in ever now and then, but isn't intrusive. 

10 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Psst, hey RWolver, the post you quoted is over four years old. 😉 I started out in the old FunVille forums. Interesting place. 😐

I've got to stop posting.  That's the second time this week that I fell for that.  That's the one thing I don't like about this site.  People complain because they don't do a search.  Then they do and bring up an old posting.  If you  read through them, you find a question that wasn't answered so you answer it.  Then you find out that it was four years old or older.  I guess if nothing else, if someone didn't know that Funville no longer exist besides me, now they know.

• Haha 1

On 9/24/2019 at 6:52 PM, RWolver672 said:

I've got to stop posting.  That's the second time this week that I fell for that.  That's the one thing I don't like about this site.  People complain because they don't do a search.  Then they do and bring up an old posting.  If you  read through them, you find a question that wasn't answered so you answer it.  Then you find out that it was four years old or older.  I guess if nothing else, if someone didn't know that Funville no longer exist besides me, now they know.

After doing a search, click on "Newest results first" on the results page.  It's right under the big search box.

• Thanks 1

I have been using the same TA since my first cruise in 1998.  She is knowledgeable and offers great service.  

I am Canadian.  The one thing I like about using a TA (I am not sure if this can be done through a PVP) is that she can book my cruise in Canadian dollars.  The exchange rate is the going rate at the time of the booking.  I put my deposit down and then I can sit and wait to see what is happening with the Canadian/US dollar during the year (I usually book around a year in advance).  The rate is 100% refundable until the full amount is due.  If the Canadian dollar goes down, then I am locked in at a good price.  If the Canadian dollar goes up, I can cancel and rebook at the better exchange rate.  If I just booked online in US dollars, I don't know what the exchange rate will be at the time I pay off my entire cruise.  This way for sure I will know what I am going to pay and there is a chance I can pay less.