Canceling and booking new cruise, do we lose depoist?

Hi, We have to cancel our november cruise, we knew it was a possiblity when we booked. (thankfully, we can still get a suite for about the same price. so super happy).

So we're looking to rebook, I have a temp hold on one for Aug, Husband is trying to see if he can switch vacation times.

If we cancel (or rebook?) our nov cruise (we've only paid depoist), and book for Aug can our (750) deposit be applied to our cruise fare for our aug cruise or are we out of the deposit.

Thanks.

It depends on what rate you booked under. If it's Early Saver, you will have to pay a $50/person change fee. Did you book yourself online? If so, go to Manage My Booking, and then under your payment details, you'll see a link to click on that says something like What is the Penalty for Canceling?

It depends on what rate you booked under. If it's Early Saver, you will have to pay a $50/person change fee. Did you book yourself online? If so, go to Manage My Booking, and then under your payment details, you'll see a link to click on that says something like What is the Penalty for Canceling?

Thanks! yeah, we booked ourself. I think it was early saver, but I didn't pay attention (bad, I know).

Thanks, losing 150, better than 750!

I found it: What if I Cancel My Booking?

If you cancel your booking today, the penalty amount would be $750.

Edited by Gardeneroflove

You need to call carnival and let them know what you are planning.. The $750 penalty would be if you didn't plan on re booking. If you are moving your cruise then you should only have to pay the $50 change fee. Next time you are not sure if you will be able to cruise consider booking Past Guest or Fun Select fares where you can cancel without a penalty 70 days and further before the cruise.

We just did this with our breeze cruise. We were booked Early saver. The only thing we lost was $50/pp. We had 2 people booked so we lost $100 but the $500 deposit that we put down on our cabin just transferred over to our new booking. That was never an issue with carnival. They just applied it to the new sailing. Of course it does help to know what rate you have booked, but since you have a new cruise that you plan on booking I really think worse case scenario, being early saver, the worst thing you will lose is the $50/pp.

You need to call carnival and let them know what you are planning.. The $750 penalty would be if you didn't plan on re booking. If you are moving your cruise then you should only have to pay the $50 change fee. Next time you are not sure if you will be able to cruise consider booking Past Guest or Fun Select fares where you can cancel without a penalty 70 days and further before the cruise.

Good to know! Thanks!!

Thanks! yeah, we booked ourself. I think it was early saver, but I didn't pay attention (bad, I know).

Thanks, losing 150, better than 750!

I found it: What if I Cancel My Booking?

If you cancel your booking today, the penalty amount would be $750.

Call Carnival. Penalties do not kick in until 90 days before sailing. See http://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/legal-notice/ticket-contract.aspx for policy.

I just had to do this for our August cruise-booked early saver and then had to change dates/ships. We just had to pay $50 pp, which was $200 for the 4 of us. Carnival just transferred our booking to the new sailing. Our booking number and everything else stayed the same. The new sailing was a little less, so we are less now only at about $80 loss instead of $200-already have gotten one price drop.

Hi, We have to cancel our november cruise, we knew it was a possiblity when we booked.

For future reference, if you're booking and you know there is a chance you'll cancel, don't go with the Early Saver rate. I just had this situation and there were other rates (Past Guest, which I subsequently changed to their Memorial Day sale rate since it was a better deal) that were only $20 per person more than Early Saver.

So you would have paid $60 more in this case, but could have cancelled and rebooked (or even cancelled and not rebooked) and get all your money back, which would have saved you $150.

Though if you thought it was only a remote chance you'd have to cancel maybe you'd decide to gamble on the high chance of saving $60 with Easy Saver vs. the remote chance of losing $150 if you had to rebook.

GardenerofLove - Assuming you booked Early Saver, you'll be out $50pp cancellation fee. The balance is held toward a future cruise. If you rebook when you cancel, they'll normally apply the balance to the new deposit; if you cancel and rebook at another time, technically they apply the balance top the cruisefare (not the deposit). ken

For future reference, if you're booking and you know there is a chance you'll cancel, don't go with the Early Saver rate. I just had this situation and there were other rates (Past Guest, which I subsequently changed to their Memorial Day sale rate since it was a better deal) that were only $20 per person more than Early Saver.

So you would have paid $60 more in this case, but could have cancelled and rebooked (or even cancelled and not rebooked) and get all your money back, which would have saved you $150.

Though if you thought it was only a remote chance you'd have to cancel maybe you'd decide to gamble on the high chance of saving $60 with Easy Saver vs. the remote chance of losing $150 if you had to rebook.

If in doubt, you can also book a refundable fare, and when you know your dates are secure, change to ES if it's still available in order to take advantage of price drops till 2 days before cruising.

Thanks!

My husband called. They had to cancel our '24 hold' then rebook it. We did pay the $50pp, but our $750 was applied to the balance. The booking number was the same and it took a few hours to update on the site under my log in. I was super confused but once we had the email from carnival with the new information, I was calm. :D

Earthworm Jim, it was a chance, but not really an expected chance...I didn't actually think we'd need to cancel, but sometimes life throws us suprises!. I'm just super glad I found a cruise with a suite available for a date that will work for about the same amount. We're out a bit, the $150 plus about $100 in the additional price, but that's the gamble.

Now we get to cruise sooner! Though, it'll be too hot to be enjoyable if it's like before, but that's ok. I'm cool with enjoying a book in bed with room service. My goal is to do as little as possible.