Very discouraged about Sunshine

getupgo

To me, canceling a March cruise to Aruba because it might be windy is like cancelling any Caribbean cruise from July to October because there might be a hurricane.

We sailed the Sunshine in January and we enjoyed it! Really, there were crowded moments, but we have experienced that on every cruise ship we have been on. Some a little more than others, but never enough to make a cruise bad. Honestly, the Dream felt just as crowded to us. Can you sacrifice 15-20 minutes of feeling crowded each day to reap all the great amenities and food options of the Sunshine? The Sunshine offers just about everything a Carnival ship offers (except the Thrill Theater on the Breeze).

You can read my detailed picture review of our Sunshine cruise: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2169332

I provide lots of tips on how to prepare and avoid crowds (Post #163 on page 9) . By the way, checking in for Anytime dining on Deck 5 prior to going to deck 3 for dinner is really not that big of a deal. The purpose is not to have people lingering and backing up by the small elevator area outside of the Dining room entrance.

And another thing, Aruba is AMAZING!!! We did the Jeep tour around the Island on our Freedom cruise and loved it. See the picture review of the excursion beginning at post #97 on page: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1781515&page=5

I booked for March 5, 2016 cruise on Sunshine to Aruba because I've always wanted to go snorkeling there, but my hubby will only sail out if Port Carnival or Tampa. Now I am reading that Aruba is always windy in March and the ship did not even stop there last week. That coupled with the horrible reviews of overcrowding has got me ready to cancel. To further complicate things, I see where anytime dining requires you to go to a separate deck to get a ticket. Why is that? Which dining room is designated for anytime dining? I usually don't pay attention to reviews but these issues are not based on opinions but hard facts. Can anyone offer any encouragement? I really want to go to Aruba but not just to sail past it.

My husband is the same way. HATES sailing out of Fort Lauderdale and Miami. I feel the same way about the Sunshine. Worried. I was thinking About a cruise to Aruba and Cureso this summer. I am reading the long reviews of the Sunshine and they are not all bad. Crowding. Seems to be the major issue/

As to Aruba..........we have been there many times. We always dock in Aruba. I have never tendered in. There are tradewinds in the Dutch Antilles...but not strong winds. They don't have hurricanes. They are out of the Hurricane belts. As Aruba and Cureso are only 20 miles from Venezuela. they have their weather

My husband is the same way. HATES sailing out of Fort Lauderdale and Miami. I feel the same way about the Sunshine. Worried. I was thinking About a cruise to Aruba and Cureso this summer. I am reading the long reviews of the Sunshine and they are not all bad. Crowding. Seems to be the major issue/

As to Aruba..........we have been there many times. We always dock in Aruba. I have never tendered in. There are tradewinds in the Dutch Antilles...but not strong winds. They don't have hurricanes. They are out of the Hurricane belts. As Aruba and Cureso are only 20 miles from Venezuela. they have their weather

We were on the Sunshine for an 8-day last week. Not sure if it's the way we cruise (times we go do stuff, where we do stuff) but we didn't think the crowds were any worse on the Sunshine than any other ship. It honestly reminded us a lot of the Fantasy. The only issue we had with the other people on the ship was the number of them that were grumpy

I am now convinced that the Sunshine is a great ship and we will have a wonderful cruise. I am very excited about being able to sail to Aruba out if Port Canaveral. I did change to a 4j cabin which is a first for me. So I am no longer discouraged and really appreciate all the encouraging words.

Edited by getupgo

We were on the Sunshine for an 8-day last week. Not sure if it's the way we cruise (times we go do stuff, where we do stuff) but we didn't think the crowds were any worse on the Sunshine than any other ship. It honestly reminded us a lot of the Fantasy. The only issue we had with the other people on the ship was the number of them that were grumpy

We were on the same cruise, and I felt the same way. There were crowds at times, but never overwhelming....in fact we felt more crowded on the Freedom. Sorry you met up with so many grumpy types, we actually met a lot of very nice people this cruise. I also have to say, there were more polite teenagers this cruise than I've ever experienced in my life!

We were on the same cruise, and I felt the same way. There were crowds at times, but never overwhelming....in fact we felt more crowded on the Freedom. Sorry you met up with so many grumpy types, we actually met a lot of very nice people this cruise. I also have to say, there were more polite teenagers this cruise than I've ever experienced in my life!

Eh, it wasn't that big of a deal, we just heard a lot of people grumping about things that seemed not worth the effort. They didn't damper our fun at all. We also met up with a bunch of really nice people, and had a lot of fun with the regulars in the piano bar.

We had a teenager with us, and the kids he hung out with were great. I think the Sunshine provides better entertainment for them than the other ships we've been on. He loved the Sunshine and is really excited that we booked her for the 8 day Southern Caribbean next March.

We were on Deck 5, Aft, and never really caught a whiff of the smell others have mentioned. Except one time, can't even remember where, and that was just the faintest of odors wafting on the breeze. Coulda been from the couple walking in front of us. ;-)

Oh my gosh, you are hysterical. Love your comment!!!

Well, no better way to find out than to find out in person... Just booked the Sunshine for one of her Charleston sailings, so I will take all the reviews with a grain of salt and go and have a great time!

Edited by reerun25

We cruised Sunshine last August -- Yes you get a ticket on the promenade before dinner - then go aft and down to the restaurant. Mainly because the area outside the dining room is by the elevators and gets crowded -

• 1 month later...

I sailed on the Sunshine May 9 ,2015 to the eastern Caribbean with teenagers 15 & 16 year old girls. Loved it!!! No crowding issues at all. Minor lines here and there but moved along quickly. Did miss a few things because I didn't know that they were happening until after the fact. So read your news letter and day and see that you don't miss anything. Pumchliner Crews was hilarious and entertaining as most were nearly as good. It was a wonderful cruise 7 days of bliss. Miss it so much. Love the ship and the crew. Food was good and Guys burgers were awesome. would definitely recommend this trip.

I booked for March 5, 2016 cruise on Sunshine to Aruba because I've always wanted to go snorkeling there, but my hubby will only sail out if Port Carnival or Tampa. Now I am reading that Aruba is always windy in March and the ship did not even stop there last week. That coupled with the horrible reviews of overcrowding has got me ready to cancel. To further complicate things, I see where anytime dining requires you to go to a separate deck to get a ticket. Why is that? Which dining room is designated for anytime dining? I usually don't pay attention to reviews but these issues are not based on opinions but hard facts. Can anyone offer any encouragement? I really want to go to Aruba but not just to sail past it.

We went to Aruba in March a couple years ago. There were no problems and its a fun port!! We will be on Sunshine there this June. I wouldn't cancel personally. Aruba is always windy. It's definitely one of my favorite ports!

We had a great time on the Sunshine

My Time Dining--you get in line-pick up a pager and then they page you when a table is ready (peak times)

Otherwise you go by the table--they had you a number and you go straight to MDR for your table.

Easy peasy

Just got off the sunshine today. I really enjoyed it! The entertainment staff was phenomenal, CD Jamie is fantastic and full of energy. The any time dining was very easy! You check in on deck 5 and we would walk to deck 3 aft. If you get a pager there is entertainment on 5 aft while you wait. There really isn't anywhere to wait outside the ATD dining room. Of the 4 days we ate in the dining room, we only needed to wait for a table once, and that was elegant night. If the table is ready, they issue you a ticket with your name and table number and you go right down to deck 3. From then an assistant maitre d will take your ticket and bring you to the table.

We were going to book the o.p.'s very cruise but after hearing about the crowded feel of the Sunshine decided against it. Even the PVP told us to avoid it. We booked the Breeze in April that adds LaRomana (been there dont that) to the route. The S. Carib. is our favorite since first going to Aruba and Curacao years ago. We never found Aruba to be windy, as a matter of fact just the opposite, it was hot extremely hot and muggy and stagnant. No wind at all but we don't frequent beaches, to much like home. Just like home(Fl.) only 5* warmer. No matter what ship gets you there, Curacao and Aruba are definitely worth getting to.

We were going to book the o.p.'s very cruise but after hearing about the crowded feel of the Sunshine decided against it. Even the PVP told us to avoid it. We booked the Breeze in April that adds LaRomana (been there dont that) to the route. The S. Carib. is our favorite since first going to Aruba and Curacao years ago. We never found Aruba to be windy, as a matter of fact just the opposite, it was hot extremely hot and muggy and stagnant. No wind at all but we don't frequent beaches, to much like home. Just like home(Fl.) only 5* warmer. No matter what ship gets you there, Curacao and Aruba are definitely worth getting to.

The Sunshine will be the only Carnival ship based in NYC so if we want to sail round trip from NYC, this will be the only option for us. Surprised a Carnival PVP would steer a client away from one of their ships... not good for business.

MARAPRINCE

The Sunshine will be the only Carnival ship based in NYC so if we want to sail round trip from NYC, this will be the only option for us. Surprised a Carnival PVP would steer a client away from one of their ships... not good for business.

MARAPRINCE

Agree 100%. I don't buy that one bit. That PVP wouldn't be employed with Carnival for long if that were true.

• 3 weeks later...
The sunshine gets no love in the reviews.

If you are referring to the ones in the official review section of CC, I do not even look at those. Far too many one-time posters with an ax to grind. And I have seen a lot of factually incorrect information in them.

Reviews posted on the Carnival board for Sunshine overall don't seem bad at all, overall.

We will be on Sunshine next year and I am not concerned. I have yet to sail on a Carnival ship that did not have crowding issues.