Worth $320 to go from Ocean view to aft extended balcony?

rok233

For those of you that have stayed in an aft extended balcony, is it worth $320 to go from Ocean view to aft extended balcony for a 7 day cruise?

I would do it without hardly thinking about it, but I am a balcony addict. There is nothing better than coming back from a long day, great meals, great entertainment and then sitting with my DW on the balcony, drinking some wine, watching the lights in the distance, hearing the surf, and smelling the salt air. If that isn't heaven, nothing is.....

For me, one of the biggest reasons to choose Carnival is to sail as affordably as possible. Spending $320 would defeat that purpose.

Although I've sailed on balcony staterooms before, I'm perfectly happy in an oceanview stateroom, unless the price difference to upgrade is negligible.

Absolutely worth it. IMHO the aft extended balconies are the best balconies. I love relaxing on the balcony and looking out the back. It's true that some are only partially covered, but usually the part where the chairs and table are located are covered so you have privacy.

No I wouldn't do it. I would try to get a normal balcony. Below are my reasons why I won't do an aft balcony again.

It is hot. You don't get the breeze back there.

Because the side panels are at an angle there is not as much privacy.

The people above you can look down at you.

They get dirty because the soot blows back onto your balcony.

Something else to consider, but it didn't bother me, the bed is turned 90 degrees compared to a regular room so it rocks side to side.

Having said that if you can ever book the odd shaped balcony cabins by the aft by the stairs do it. They have a huge balcony and the room is extremely quiet.

Edited by Tutontow

For me, that's a lot of extra money I'd rather use elsewhere. Maybe a nice dinner at the steakhouse, some drinks, or a massage, etc.

But if having a balcony is important to you, then I say go for it. I'd just personally would rather spend that money on other things.

These ext aft cabins can be considerably smaller than the middle ext afts on Empress deck on the Breeze, Sunshine and other newer ships. Make sure your cabin has a sofa and coffee table, not just a chair. My last ext aft on the Breeze was almost claustrophobic b/c the cabin was much smaller. The ext balcony was big though. If you pay for an 8M, you should get a normal sized cabin.

I just completed a cruise with an aft-extended balcony. I don't think I would rush to get one again unless it was an extremely good deal. We only got one because there were 3 of us to split the cost. I actually prefer the cove balcony, if I am going to pick that category. I just don't use the balcony enough to justify the extra expense. If I want to sit outside and relax I either go the Serenity area or the outside decks on the lobby level depending on if I want sun or shade.