17 never again

Just returned from cruise to Bilbao and was looking forward to celebrating our wedding anniversary in 17 having dined there previously.Got a shock it has jumped up to £28 but never mind it was a special occasion, but then came the meal.

First we were given a free pre-starter which was 2 king prawns with a minute bit of shredded lettuce served on what i can only describe as a 4inch wall tile.

The starter we ordered was fine but the main course we ordered Dover Sole à la Meunière with Baby Vegetables arrived several minutes were then required to bone the fish whilst the veg which arrived first went cold followed by the fish the waitress serving my wife then announced here is your butter sauce and drowned her fish with it my waitress just gave the jug to me.My wife who was feeling slightly under the weather due to rough seas felt unable to eat hers and left me with mine.The desert course i ordered was summer berries terrine of which i got 3 berries in a jelly didnt want to create a scene but will never eat in 17 again thanks p@o for a wonderful anniversary not

Welcome to cruise Critic.

I am sorry you were disappointed in your meal. Surely however, it would have been better to complain while on board when they may have been able to do something about it ?

Welcome to cruise Critic.

I am sorry you were disappointed in your meal. Surely however, it would have been better to complain while on board when they may have been able to do something about it ?

Agreed, although when we made a complaint about 17 to the manager at the time the response was very dismissive. I followed it up with a note to the Food and Beverage Manager, as suggested, but didn't get a reply. It not like me to let things go but on this occassion I did and got on enjoying the holiday.

On our next cruise we gave 17 another go, after all it gets many good reviews, nothing to complain about but very unimpressed with the food.

So me to, 17 never again.

Sorry you had a bad experience. If ever we have been dissapointed with a meal onboard they have always worked to resolve it so it is very strange your comments went unanswered.

Personally we have tried 17 and didnt like it. The menu and food was very rich with choices more relevant to a 1980s restaurant. However many love it. The price hike to £28 seems to have hit business as they were everywhere on our cruise in May trying to sell it.

I have to say that the meal we had in 17 last September was exceptional, in fact we both agreed that it was the best fine dining meal we had had.

Gan Canny

Dai

You must have been unlucky. I agree with Dai - the meal we had in XVII last year was amongst the best we have ever had, let alone at sea. It is a shame when something you look forward to turns out to be a disappointment.

As a side issue, the last time we ate in 17 it was extremely rough seas. Did not really bother us but several people felt unwell.

They decided to refund all monies paid. As far as I am aware nobody asked for it, they just did it.

There must have been about 15 - 20 people in the restaurant.

Archived