Hesitant to Try a Cruise?

Dan Askin

Of these top reasons people are reluctant to try a cruise, which one resonates most?  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Of these top reasons people are reluctant to try a cruise, which one resonates most?

• I'll be trapped on a ship
    • Too many rigid traditions, like set-seating dining
    • Too little time in each port
    • Bingo, bingo, bingo and shuffleboard
    • It's pricey
    • I'll be bored to tears onboard
    • Rough seas
    • Getting seasick
    • Too many old (or young) people
    • Meeting people I don't like

It's easy to come up with reasons for not trying a new type of holiday. And cruising especially carries with it a number of well-established stereotypes -- cabin fever, seasickness, bingo. So we'd like to know: Of these top reasons people are reluctant to try a cruise, which one resonates most with you?

After you vote, don't forget to elaborate on why you chose what you did. And we're hoping that the cruise veterans out there will lend a hand. We'd love to have you join the discussion with some advice for our virgin cruisers!

I put too many old people.

That was actually going to be one of my questions.... if anyone has any information on a median age per cruise line. I want to sail preferably on the "youngest" ones....

Coming from an "old" person, by the way!

I had a real fear of getting sea sick on board prior to our first cruise and ended up getting sea sick. However, I took appropriate meds with me and that was that. Unlike my fears that it would ruin my cruise, it didn't, although I did have a couple rocky hours. Now I know to start the meds the day before and that is that.

Taking a cruise, however, is just like any vacation and should be something you want to do and not a thing to do because everyone else is. While I did end getting sea sick, it would never have kept me from cruising, nor would the fear of meeting old or boring people or of having to follow traditional dining etc - there are enough cruisleines that offer both convenience of dining any time you want as well as the prices fitting a variety of price ranges.

This should be an interesting thread if it gets going.

Charlie

I put too many old people.

That was actually going to be one of my questions.... if anyone has any information on a median age per cruise line. I want to sail preferably on the "youngest" ones....

Coming from an "old" person, by the way!

Median Age for cruise lines can be very misleading. For Carnival & RCCL, with most of the cruises being a week or less and near to the US, they get a younger overall crowd.

On the other hand Princess and HAL have many cruises in Europe and other parts of the world. These tend to attract and older group. These are the people with the moeny and time for longer vacations.

NCL would probably be somewhere in the middle.

If you just looked at the week long cruises in the Caribean, I am guessing the averages would be much closer together.

I chose " I'll be bored...." simply because that is what our non cruising friends believe{ and state} While I can say I have never been bored on a cruise I found that some of the activities offered on our last transatlantic cruise left much to be desired. However, a good book, beautiful scenery. and meeting new people made the whole journey enjoyable.

I think you left out one reason----the hassle of flying to and from the port!

(We've been on 4 cruises, 3 of which we had to fly to and from. Unforunately air travel these days is not something to look forward to. You have to be there way early. Security can be a hassle. Seats are cramped. One always has to worry about delays. On a long flight you arrive jet lagged.)

My DH tried to convince me to cruise for 9 years. I flat out refused because I get seasick on a dock! There was no way I wanted to spend a week stuck in a small cabin while I was sick.

After we moved within 20 minutes of a port, I finally decided to give it a try for a weekend cruise. I did visit with my doctor before and got a prescription for the scopolomine patch. We went on a 7-night cruise and I was ready to go again from the SECOND we came home (and the patch worked beautifully for me). Best vacation EVER!!!

Needless to say, every time I book another cruise (six in two years) he reminds me that I should have listened to him a long time ago! :o

I put confined on a ship and no where to go.. But thats what other people I have talked to say... Personally for me it was the small cabin sizes.. Since we don't get suites... The only other ship I had been on was when I was 10 for a day cruise.. And they did have "small" cabins.. Ours had a bathroom in it.. Most of the cabins didn't on that ship..

My 1st "real" cruise was with my future to be husband back in 03.. And I fell in love with cruising.. I did consider having our wedding on a cruise.. But decided against it for other reasons.. But if we ever decided to get "remarried" someday.. Then I'll do a cruise then...

We will be doing our 9th cruise together in Dec... And can't wait for that one..

Water Baby's

My DH tried to convince me to cruise for 9 years.

My husband didn't have to convince me to go, just never had any one the experience it with.. Personally I had been on merchant marine ship.. So I didn't think there was a big deal about cruising... Boy was I wrong..

I chose too many rigid rules. I am now booked for my second cruise and from my experience on the first one, I was right. I know that we were stupid on the first cruise. It was to Hawaii and had four days at sea in the beginning. I, too, got the patches. Those things were horrible. I felt like I was drugged all of the time. Please, please, some of you who love cruising, explain to me why you love it. Just a little of my experience on the first cruise. We flew from the midwest to San Diego. When we arrived, we had to claim our luggage and truck it out to the staging area. We were then handed a warm bottle of water and a granola bar and put on a bus to Mexico. Once there, we had to sit on the bus for an hour and then they dropped us off at some hotel where we signed in for the cruise. After some delay, we were herded back on the bus, sat in the parking lot for awhile and were then taken to the ship. We then sat on the bus in a parking lot until they let us off to go stand in line to get on the ship. So far - it's a wonderful vacation. We went to the cabin dropped the carry ons and went to get something to eat. The TV did not work there was no DVD player. We were up at 4:30 a.m. EDT to catch an early flight. The drill was at 9:00 PDT. After we returned from the drill, all we wanted to do was get some sleep. While we were brushing our teeth, the cabin attendant beat on the door and begged to come in and turn down the bed. We asked him to go away, but he seemed hurt, so we took a 10 minute walk to allow him to turn down the bed. When we returned, the bed was not turned down - which really didn't matter, since we do manage to get into bed every night on our own. We got into bed and, there came the cabin attendant beating on the door wanting to turn down the bed. We screamed back and forth through the door, until he finally seemed to understand that we were already in bed and were not going to allow him to come in. Finally he went away. I will not go into the food which we found substandard. When we disembarked, we were forced to set in a public area for hours waiting to be called. When we left the ship, we went out to find our luggage scattered here and there. Finally we got our bags - stupid me, I let them take the carry on bags, too - some of the tags were missing. Some seasoned cruiser took pity on us and explained that the only way to get our luggage and get on the transfer bus was to go bribe a porter and he would take care of it. We did that and got herded onto a bus. We were then dumped at the airport with about fifteen other buses and had to walk a mile to get a luggage cart. There were no porters that we could find in the airport. As a rule we did not find the other passengers friendly or outgoing. The best thing about that cruise was the bar and the two bartenders who regularly manned it. We were there so much that when we saw them on two separate occasions on shore, they asked if we would be back in the bar that night. They were the only people on the ship who ever bothered to learn that I do not go by the name on the "get out of Jail" card and called me by the name that I use. I did like being out at sea when it was calm. I loved that feeling. It was nice to stare out at the water, but how long can you do that before you want to jump in? However, what I alway hear is how great cruising is. How they pamper you. I am willing to admit that the first experience was a just a bad one, if that is really the case. So please, please tell me what you really love about cruising and what I can do to make this one coming up a better experience. We should have more senic cruising this time. Will that make it better? Thanks for any help you can provide.

I put "Getting Seasick". I had wanted to cruise for years but never would for fear of getting seasick becuase I get sick on small boats and ferries and Dramine/Bonine never helped.

Well our friends decided to get married in Bermuda and invited everyone to cruise over with them. My husband said that I need to be brave and try it at least once, so I got the patch, got some Bonine and Meclazine (trust me I was prepared, LOL).

Turns out I didn't need any of it, I was fine never once felt the least bit queasy even after some alcohol and very rocky seas on the Empress (smallest ship in fleet). I figured if I could handle that, I can handle all the other ships and am now wanting to cruise whenever I can.

I think you left out one reason----the hassle of flying to and from the port!

(We've been on 4 cruises, 3 of which we had to fly to and from. Unforunately air travel these days is not something to look forward to. You have to be there way early. Security can be a hassle. Seats are cramped. One always has to worry about delays. On a long flight you arrive jet lagged.)

I totally agree. Flying to and from ports is the worst thing about cruising. One also has to worry about airlines losing luggage.

I totally agree. Flying to and from ports is the worst thing about cruising. One also has to worry about airlines losing luggage.

Yes, you're absolutely right. Our last cruise was a 10 day Baltic cruise on the Star Princess starting and ending in Copenhagen. I actually met someone onboard who did not get their luggage lost by the airlines until we were in Helsinki, the 8th day of the cruise!

I chose too many rigid rules. I am now booked for my second cruise and from my experience on the first one, I was right. I know that we were stupid on the first cruise. It was to Hawaii and had four days at sea in the beginning. I, too, got the patches. Those things were horrible. I felt like I was drugged all of the time. Please, please, some of you who love cruising, explain to me why you love it. Just a little of my experience on the first cruise. We flew from the midwest to San Diego. When we arrived, we had to claim our luggage and truck it out to the staging area. We were then handed a warm bottle of water and a granola bar and put on a bus to Mexico. Once there, we had to sit on the bus for an hour and then they dropped us off at some hotel where we signed in for the cruise. After some delay, we were herded back on the bus, sat in the parking lot for awhile and were then taken to the ship. We then sat on the bus in a parking lot until they let us off to go stand in line to get on the ship. So far - it's a wonderful vacation. We went to the cabin dropped the carry ons and went to get something to eat. The TV did not work there was no DVD player. We were up at 4:30 a.m. EDT to catch an early flight. The drill was at 9:00 PDT. After we returned from the drill, all we wanted to do was get some sleep. While we were brushing our teeth, the cabin attendant beat on the door and begged to come in and turn down the bed. We asked him to go away, but he seemed hurt, so we took a 10 minute walk to allow him to turn down the bed. When we returned, the bed was not turned down - which really didn't matter, since we do manage to get into bed every night on our own. We got into bed and, there came the cabin attendant beating on the door wanting to turn down the bed. We screamed back and forth through the door, until he finally seemed to understand that we were already in bed and were not going to allow him to come in. Finally he went away. I will not go into the food which we found substandard. When we disembarked, we were forced to set in a public area for hours waiting to be called. When we left the ship, we went out to find our luggage scattered here and there. Finally we got our bags - stupid me, I let them take the carry on bags, too - some of the tags were missing. Some seasoned cruiser took pity on us and explained that the only way to get our luggage and get on the transfer bus was to go bribe a porter and he would take care of it. We did that and got herded onto a bus. We were then dumped at the airport with about fifteen other buses and had to walk a mile to get a luggage cart. There were no porters that we could find in the airport. As a rule we did not find the other passengers friendly or outgoing. The best thing about that cruise was the bar and the two bartenders who regularly manned it. We were there so much that when we saw them on two separate occasions on shore, they asked if we would be back in the bar that night. They were the only people on the ship who ever bothered to learn that I do not go by the name on the "get out of Jail" card and called me by the name that I use. I did like being out at sea when it was calm. I loved that feeling. It was nice to stare out at the water, but how long can you do that before you want to jump in? However, what I alway hear is how great cruising is. How they pamper you. I am willing to admit that the first experience was a just a bad one, if that is really the case. So please, please tell me what you really love about cruising and what I can do to make this one coming up a better experience. We should have more senic cruising this time. Will that make it better? Thanks for any help you can provide.

...why on Earth did you book another cruise? You can certainly find some bar room where the bartender calls you by the name which you prefer! It would be much cheaper than spending all that money to be miserable!

Years ago when I was married I always wanted to go on a cruise. I would pick upbrochures and realize that this is something we could never afford-not knowing that what I see is NOT the bottom price. People that are not cruise savvy will see the brochure rate and know that a cruise is not for them.

My husband also gave all those reasons above-being trappedand being bored as the biggest reason for not even considering a second thought.

My husband died without trying it.. It took me a year and half to know that life is too short and I better "get out there before its too late. Since 2000 I have been on 10 cruises.

Cruising is not for everyone but I think everyone should try it at least once "just to see"

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 26 and most people my age think that cruising is too expensive. It sounds like a lot of money up front, people don't realize once they add up the daily cost of a traditional vacation its far more than a cruise. And thats a good point about the brochure price is ridiculous, that certainly scares away less experienced people who don't know how to find a good deal. Cruise lines really need to start advertising on price to the mass market.

I'd say the age factor is second. People in my generation have the stereotype is that cruising is for retirees. The Carnival and RCCL commercials have helped ease this fear but its still hard for people to take the plunge. And it has nothing to do with the older generation or being too bored. People just don't want to feel uncomfortable or out of place by being singled out for any number of reasons, age being one of them. But once people realize that there are families, friends and couples of all ages then its really not an issue.

Third I'd say the fear of going to a foriegn country and to places they have never been. Most people are comfortable going to Cali or Florida for a vacation but being some place that they have never been or know little about it a bit scary. I love going to new places, but then again I love cruising. its scary for people my age to take that first big vacation out of the country.

Lastly I'd say the confined on a ship/sea sick answer. People don't realize how big the ships are and how many areas there are to hang out in and explore. My dad won't cruise because he gets motion sick very easily and needs to be able to get off whatever it is thats moving. It doesn't matter how much my mom and I try to convince him it just doesn't sound worth the risk. My grandma won't cruise because she thinks she won't be able to sleep well. A lot of people just are not "boat people" or think that they are not. I think this is the hardest group of people to convince to try a cruise because its the fear of being miserable and thats not something you can prove wrong to people with words, pictures or facts. They just have to try it on their own.

Being a fairly independent type who has traveled to a few European cities on my own, cruising was way down my list of vacation possibilities, other than expedition sailings like Lindblad (and I generally don't have that kind of disposable income). The kinds of activities I usually gravitate toward seemed pretty opposite the spectrum from belly flop contests and climbing walls :rolleyes: Going solo adds an extra dimension of "Hmmm... doesn't look like a lot of fascinating activity options for a somewhat shy, non-sun worshipper on her own."

The last 6 months, however, have been absolute h*** and I decided I needed some low-key, low-hassle R&R pronto. After looking at a lot of different options, cruising seemed to offer the most relaxation bang for the buck. I spent a lot of time researching the different lines and ships here on CC and went ahead and booked my first cruise for the end of next month. Though my top choices for itineraries and ships tended to be out of my price range and/or available travel dates, I'm optimistic about the RCI sailing to Mexico I ended up booking. (And the fact that there's a big friendly group from CC--including a bunch of solos--on the same trip sounds like a lot of fun.) We'll see! :)

Kate

I was cooking Thanksgiving at my house in 2007....planning an elegant feast for us and for our only invited guests: my SO's brother and the brother's wife and son. This was a rarity because we generally go to my brother and sister-in-law's and are with my side of the family every Thanksgiving.

We were especially excited because we had been talking to them for more than a year about about cruising with us :D...how much they would love it! They're a couple in their mid-40's and the son is 18...so he wouldn't come because he'd be away at school. So, Thanksgiving was to be the day we all decided upon which cruise. We told them to bring their laptops, so after dinner we could all sit back in our home office, everyone on his or her computer, sipping Grand Marnier and eating pumpkin pie, :p, and cruise-shopping online. Cool.

And the day arrived, and the meal was fantastic, and we all adjourned to the office & all agreed upon certain parameters:

--Prefer to leave out of NY

--Before June 1st, but not inclusive of May 17th due to a nephew's wedding.

--More than 7 days if possible.

--Prefer Carnival if possible.

And we all agreed upon the Miracle, out of NY on May 1st for 8 days. Hallelujah! We knew that cabins 8200 and 8198 were available & agreed upon them. We toasted our decision & upcoming cruise and both couples planned on booking the next day.

The next day, Friday, I called & booked cabin 8200 on the 5/1/08 sailing of the Miracle out of NY. All week I waited for confirmation that they had booked also. Well that week went by, as did the next 3, and after a few phone calls the brother's wife said the're not booking because she would feel "trapped on a ship".

I don't even know how to respond to that...it's such nonsense. And this is from the same couple that spend the same 2 weeks every October in the same time-share in Daytona Beach Florida. Talk about boring and trapped!

I guess this is why we're all different and ultimately need to just sit back and respect individual choices.

Me and my SO, however, are staying on the Miracle for 5/1/08.:)

I'm not sure personal vents like this are appropriate on a public board

What an absurd and rude statement. This board is to help people, and yes, a way of doing so is telling personal cruise stories. If you can't handle that, find another forum.

You are free to click away from the thread if you don't like it (preferably without making a snarky comment).

As for me and why I was hesitant--I could never find anyone to travel with. They either didn't have the time or the money, so I finally decided to go solo, and I've got my 3rd cruise scheduled in April!

Archived