Best Time To Buy, Once Early Saver Has Passed

Fa310tx

I'm looking to book a cruise, in September.

We passed the Early Saver pricing (which is what I would, normally, purchase).

The price, of the cruise, is fluctuating between $399 and $409 (7 day cruise).

Should I just go ahead and buy or is there a time that prices drop?

I'd like to see $350, but that may not happen.

JJ

My experience in booking early saver and watching for price drops to get the best possible fare, is that the best "promotions" are either "more = merrier" (if you have more than 2 people traveling in 1 stateroom) or the senior rate promotion (if that applies to anyone in your stateroom). Otherwise the price has gone up and down with no rhyme or reason. For an off-season sailing, I think I'd just keep checking back. I think it's unlikely it will go up a ton (and not eventually come back down). Good luck and enjoy! :D

September is one of the cheapest months of the year for obvious reasons. Nothing is guaranteed and there's no specific moment when it's best to buy, but you could see prices drop closer to sailing. Just monitor the sailing.

It kind of depends how flexible you are in scheduling and how sad you might feel if you miss your chance to go for $100.

There could be hurricanes and the price might go down.

Or not.

We just booked a 7 day at 399 and it was a good deal as the price has gone up $60 per person.

After September there are usually some deals in October, January and February.

Is it important to you to pick a cabin? The price MAY go down by waiting until after the final payments are due, but the number of available cabins also decrease. Since you are not buying with the Early Saver restrictions you may be able to still upgrade your cabin if prices drop significantly closer to the sail date.

Do you need air? Because if you wait for the cruise price to drop, you might end up with a higher total cost if prices increase for the flights you need.

Edited by D4

The lowest prices are usually around 60 days out, which is now through the rest of July, depending on the date of your cruise. Of course, there are always exceptions, but that is the general rule. If you don't mind an assigned cabin, you might get a good pack and go price later, but as D4 said, air fare could be a problem that close to sailing.

Just a note, for posterity...

The price was hovering around $400, for interior, and $460, for oceanview.

It just went up to $460, for interior, and $530, for oceanview.

I'm hoping, it goes back down.

Hehehe...

With reference to the airfare...

I already purchased tickets, at a good price.

I'm just looking for a deal, on this particular cruise.

JJ

We are looking to book another September cruise as well. It has been our experience that when we wait within the month the prices are significantly cheaper. When we started price watching around this time last year the cruise we wanted was over $500 even for an inside cabin. Within 3 weeks of sailing date it was down to $279, and we ended up scoring an upgrade a week later to deluxe ocean view for 20 bucks.

We are price watching now, but we usually leave out of New Orleans and want to do a different ship and itinerary so we're looking at Florida ports and the prices are already cheaper than the $500 7 day out of New Orleans right now so we'll be deciding soon.

Well, the cruise that we are planning to go on is no longer listed on Carnival's website.

Hehehe...

I hope it returns (and for a lower price).

JJ

That happened to us last September when we got ready to book because it was 3 weeks out from sailing by the time we got vacation time approved and the cruise had disappeared from the site. I called our PVP who confirmed that there were actually still rooms but we would just have to book guarantee. He told me to always call even if I don't see the cruise listed. You might not get the exact rooms you wanted, but you could still be able to sail. Hope it works out for you!

• 5 weeks later...

In the on-going saga...

Every 6-9 Carnival cruise, for the dates that I'll be in Florida, are sold out.

Hehehe...

There are still other options, and an opening may present itself.

I'm kind of wishing that I booked the $400 tickets.

Thusfar, my opinion is...

Book Early Saver.

If Early Saver is over, book anyway.

Hehehe...

JJ

September is one of the cheapest months of the year for obvious reasons. Nothing is guaranteed and there's no specific moment when it's best to buy, but you could see prices drop closer to sailing. Just monitor the sailing.

This is an unusual year/ We cruise ever year during hurricane season Sept/Oct and both months doing nothing but going up.

I'm kind of wishing that I booked the $400 tickets.

I'll bet you are ! Or maybe not.

As this "saga" (as you call it) developed, I figured it would end up with you having a land based vacation in Florida.

If you truly wanted to cruise (and I'm not sure you were ever truly committed to it), you let those ships "sail without you" because of a minimal price point. Especially since you say you got airfare at a good price. You were already going to be in Florida, so no expensive additional transportation expense to cruise.

Why do I think this ? All the hehehehehehehehe I read and this last post that you "kind of wish".

Regardless, enjoy your trip !

Our sept cruise is almost sold out. I believe there is only a handful of inside cabins left.

Our prices dipped $100 right before final payment, then increased $200 over the last few weeks and now ocean views are sold out.

I'm booked on "Paradise" for a five day in September, and got a pretty good price, but I thought I'd go ahead and book the cruise prior, and make it a B2B. Since I've been watching that cruise, (about 45 days) it's DOUBLED in price. I too, have NEVER seen that happen, and especially in September. Guess I'll just keep watching??? :confused:

"SKY"

I booked ES for a Sept cruise and did get a price reduction, now my cabin category is sold out and I did a mock booking...there are very few cabins left and price has gone up twice. I think it depends on port and Itinerary...the 5 day cruises at the Charleston port do not sell as well as the 7 day. Just depends on were you are and want to go.

I booked Early Saver for 9/10 on the Paradise back in May. I got 2 price drops and $30 bonus OBC. Prices only dropped till July, then they started slowly inching up. Now there is literally only ONE OV cabin left, the rest of ship is SOLD OUT (Good job, Carnival!) and that cabin is $250 more than what I paid ... so much for "last minute bargains."

I think the reason September cruises are so well booked this year is because of the weather ... I guess this hurricaine season there is a lot of "Wind Sheer" that pretty much breaks up the hurricaines (That's what just happened to Erica to make it a non-event pretty much)

Anyway, I'll be booking my next cruise while on this one.... but want to go in Feb, so will prolly miss Early Saver.

As this "saga" (as you call it) developed, I figured it would end up with you having a land based vacation in Florida.

If you truly wanted to cruise (and I'm not sure you were ever truly committed to it), you let those ships "sail without you" because of a minimal price point. Especially since you say you got airfare at a good price. You were already going to be in Florida, so no expensive additional transportation expense to cruise.

Spending a week in Florida, certainly, wouldn't be the end of the world.

My wife and I really enjoy cruising, though.

If we don't get a cruise (or don't get a good deal), I'm blaming her.

Hehehe...

This is the first time for trying a last-minute booking.

She's cheap, so wanted to say money.

I still think we can pull through and get a good deal, though.

JJ

• 2 weeks later...