Elation and seasick

Monthend

Just booked the repositioning cruise on the Elation for April 13. We have sailed on the Valour and the Freedom without any problem. I have been reading the reviews and several people mentioned a problem with seasickness. Do you think a repositioning cruise from San Juan to Jacksonville would encounter rough weather at that time of year?

I think it's safe to say there won't be any hurricanes as you're outside of Hurricane season.

As for will there be any rough weather the week of April 13, I'm sure that even the best meteorologists can't predict that far in advance.

I was just on Elation a few weeks ago and didn't have any issues.

No one can predict what the weather will do, and on ANY cruise you are subject to motion sickness. If you have anyone in your party that potentially suffers from this then it is better to take precautions in advance.

I LIVED on motion sickness medicine on any trip (cruise, air, bus, etc) until about 5 years ago. I would get motion sick just sitting in the back seat of the car.

I didn't like how zoned out the medicine made me though. One day my husband brought me home the wrist bands you wear with the pressure nubs on them - name brand is "Sea Bands."

Don't know why or how they work, but let me tell you they are a lifesaver! I can fly 10 hours on a plane to Europe and feel just fine. Can cruise in the worst seas and doesn't bother me at all (and let me tell you I have been on a couple cruises where half the ship was turning green). They are the best $8 we ever spent.

I wear one at all times when on-board, then if the seas get bad or I start "feeling" the motion, I put on the other one for double the relief and I am perfectly fine. I wear them when we go out on shore excursions that involve a smaller boat - like snorkeling, etc. and again all good.

I highly recommend them, and it is a great non-medication way to avoid the sickness. They are even recommend for women with morning sickness!

PS: Another trick I learned in Hawaii, and again I don't know why it works but it does, fresh Pineapple will help with a minor case of motion sickness and upset stomach. Which you can usually find this on-board the ship.

No one can predict what the weather will do, and on ANY cruise you are subject to motion sickness. If you have anyone in your party that potentially suffers from this then it is better to take precautions in advance.

I LIVED on motion sickness medicine on any trip (cruise, air, bus, etc) until about 5 years ago. I would get motion sick just sitting in the back seat of the car.

I didn't like how zoned out the medicine made me though. One day my husband brought me home the wrist bands you wear with the pressure nubs on them - name brand is "Sea Bands."

Don't know why or how they work, but let me tell you they are a lifesaver! I can fly 10 hours on a plane to Europe and feel just fine. Can cruise in the worst seas and doesn't bother me at all (and let me tell you I have been on a couple cruises where half the ship was turning green). They are the best $8 we ever spent.

I wear one at all times when on-board, then if the seas get bad or I start "feeling" the motion, I put on the other one for double the relief and I am perfectly fine. I wear them when we go out on shore excursions that involve a smaller boat - like snorkeling, etc. and again all good.

I highly recommend them, and it is a great non-medication way to avoid the sickness. They are even recommend for women with morning sickness!

PS: Another trick I learned in Hawaii, and again I don't know why it works but it does, fresh Pineapple will help with a minor case of motion sickness and upset stomach. Which you can usually find this on-board the ship.

Can i ask where do you get sea band? Regular grocery store ? I suffer from motion sickness also and just don't want to take pills the whole time i cruise. I thought about going to see my doctor before my trip and look into the patches behind the ear also. The sea band sounds awesome!

They are available at some pharmacy's, I have seen them in airports in their shops, and you can always look on line at Amazon or Ebay (I bought 2 pair just a month or so ago on Ebay for like $12 - my original pair were wore out lol!). I figure I would save my old ones for when I am snorkeling, etc. and use my good ones for wearing on ship, plane, etc. and I have a back up pair for later.:)

PS: If you use these make sure you follow the instructions for placement of the nub. I measure like 3 fingers width up my wrist from the base of may hand and make sure it is seated firmly against that tendon/blood vessel you can feel if you flex your hand downward. It has something to do with "pressure points" as to why they work.

I bought 2 boxes of sea bands at Walgreens.

There are 2 wrist bands in a box. I wear a band on each wrist when I feel the motion sickness coming on. I then keep them on for a few hours. They aren't uncomfortable but they have sure saved me from being a crabby patty a couple of times on a cruise. I thought by now I would have my sea legs but alittle help never hurts.:)

Edited by JustMeandeveryoneelse

Just got off the Elation on 9/5. I took Dramamine the first day just incase but forgot the second and never needed it after that. My husband did not use anything and never complained of feeling sick. You felt the ship move slightly but it wasn't too bad. I would definitely take something along just incase.

When we first started cruising, we used the sea bands - our Walmart always kept them behind the pharmacy counter. Now I just take a ginger capsule with breakfast & dinner. I've also heard that eating anything with ginger in it is helpful as well as green apples. My hubby never takes anything.

When we first started cruising, we used the sea bands - our Walmart always kept them behind the pharmacy counter. Now I just take a ginger capsule with breakfast & dinner. I've also heard that eating anything with ginger in it is helpful as well as green apples. My hubby never takes anything.

I also use the ginger capsules and they work for me.