Why do you like Carnival over other cruise lines

koss78b2

Large cabins for this family of 4. There is enough room for all of us and all of our stuff. Price wins out every time when I compare to other cruise lines. Excellent cabin stewards and wait staff. Actually all the crew is very friendly. The fact that we don't have to dress up if we don't want to and can just be ourselves without other people judging us. Variety of ports which is getting better.

I have cruised on RC and Princess, however we are Platinum on Carnival. We live in Austin, Texas so Galveston has always been an easy port for us to cruise from. Since we cruise about 3 times a year, two of those cruises are out of Galveston, the other from other ports with Carnival. We have always had great times on our cruises with Carnival. We find the staff are always happy and cheerful. Some people say that Carnival is the Walmart of cruise lines however that is not true. The only reason we sailed on RC and Princess was because they had cheaper fares for a cruise we were interested in taking. Carnival cruises are a little more laid back and not too fancy. We work hard as business professional's and have to dress up every day so it is nice that we can be more casual on our cruises. Any cruise is what you make of it. You can do as much as you want or nothing at all. You certInly won't starve as there is always something good to eat. You are waited on, cleaned up after and entertained by a hard working staff that spend long months away from their family. Yes, there are many people that complain about this or that on a cruise. These are people that are just looking for things to complain about as they are just unhappy people no matter where they are. I say everyone should try a Carnival cruise. You will love it!

bang for the buck

Have to agree with this. We have sailed on both Royal Caribbean and Carnival, and like them both. However, Carnival is more affordable for us. Yes, I've seen the many complaints about the food, entertainment (or lack thereof) and other things on this board. Food is subjective. We're not foodies. The on board entertainment can be hit or miss, depending on which ship you're on. We've seen everything from "pretty good" to "pretty awful". All of that aside, there's no denying that Carnival strives to be budget friendly.

We get the most value for our money and while I wouldn't say every cruise was great, most of them were. Carnival crews are great and with a port so close to home it provides us the best and most affordable vacation option.

*Destinations I want, when I want to sail ... May & Sept. primarily

*Price per person

*Service

*Casual, laid back vacation - I don't have to worry & schedule everything in advance, to get food, see a show, etc.

Well, I look to be the minority but I can't say I like Carnival over the other cruise lines.

We are sailing on a b2b on Journeys cruises and it definitely isn't cheaper than other lines.

I much prefer Princess or Celebrity but wanted to do the Journeys cruises because of the itineraries.

After these cruises, will more than likely go back to Princess unless Carnival's entertainment picks up. Really disappointed on our last Carnival cruise with very little entertainment. Hasbro game show 2 nights in the main theater on a 7 day cruise is NOT entertainment. Trivia at 9pm instead of a band is NOT entertainment. IMHO, Carnival has dropped the ball when it comes to entertainment.

Cost

Year round choice from Florida

Camp Ocean/Carnival is very good and parent friendly in its hours of operation.

Food in MDR is good

Just like it.

Although after the Breeze it will be hard to go to just any Carnival ship! :p

I don't prefer Carnival.

All things being equal, I actually prefer Royal Caribbean.

But they're generally not equal. Carnival is usually significantly cheaper than Royal and the qualitative difference between the two lines isn't enough to justify the higher price.

For example, my wife and I want to cruise this Fall. Our work commitments dictate that we sail in either October or November. We prefer to drive from Atlanta, so our choice of embarkation ports is limited to Port Canaveral, Tampa, or Charleston. I put together a spreadsheet of all 6-8 day cruises sailing from those ports during Oct-Nov.

All Prices are for Outside Cabins and exclusive of taxes and port charges:

- Carnival has 19 such cruises at an average price of $93.64 per person, per day (ppd). Low of $68.43, high of $145.57

- Disney has 9 cruises, average price $254.33 ppd. Low of $217.00, high of $383.00

- Norwegian has 9 cruises, average price $113.82 ppd. Low of $97.00, high of $144.14

- Royal has 6 cruises, average $112.07. Low of $103.00, high of $120.43

Going with Carnival ($68.43 ppd x 2 people x 7 nights = $958.02) over Norwegian ($97.00 ppd x 2 people x 7 nights = $1358.00) saves us $28.57 ppd or $399.98 for the two of us on a 7 night cruise.

We think Norwegian is better than Carnival, but we don't think its $400 better.

Edited by Bill&Karen

I'm not loyal to Carnival. We choose the cruise line based on the itinerary and price for the inflexible dates we can cruise. Carnival usually has the best price for the ports and dates we want. We usually cruise in summer when the other lines cut way back on Caribbean cruises. When we've cruised in the winter, it's more competitive and other lines are sometimes less expensive for similar Caribbean itineraries.

1. price

2. friendlier and more helpful staff than the other lines I've sailed

3. slightly larger cabins with more comfortable bedding than the other lines I've sailed

4. better food, in general, than the other lines I've sailed

5. casual upbeat atmosphere

Really, the only area where other lines I've sampled have Carnival beat is entertainment in the main show room. I wouldn't choose another line just because of that one thing. A cruise is entertaining in itself, and going to a show is only one hour out of the day, or less. I do miss the older, better shows though.