DSLR or Micro 4/3? Olympus TG-4 or GoPro?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Photo & Camera Discussions

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:51 AM.
302 Posts
Joined Mar 2016
I will be cruising to Bermuda this July on the Breakaway. It will be our second cruise (first was last year to Alaska). My primary camera is a Canon d70. Last year, I purchased the Tamron 16-300 to use as a walkabout as well as zoom lens for the trip. It worked well enough: got some really good whale watching shots, and my Glacier Bay pics are not bad.

I've never loved this lens--it's convenient, but it's not great in low-light, and isn't spectacularly sharp in general. Would it be worth considering renting a micro 4/3 camera for my still photos since I'm not loving this Tamron lens? Would there be something smaller/lighter/better quality that I could try out? Or should I just stick with what I have and consider a different walkabout lens.

For a water/sports camera, I currently have an Olympus TG-4. This is a great little camera for the beach/under water. We will be doing some active tours: parasailing, cave exploration/swimming, and cliff jumping (some small cliffs). I wonder if the Olympus Tough would be a good choice for these tours, or if a GoPro would be a worthwhile investment. The video quality on the TG-4 is poor (would do a lousy job for parasailing), though it does take decent stills.

TIA for any suggestions.
302 Posts
Joined Mar 2016
I see that the TG-5 is just coming out--seems to have better video capabilities. So I guess that would be an option as well. My TG-4 is only a year + old, so I would feel a little bad about replacing.
LI NY
484 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
I'm a little biased - but I would recommend micro 4/3 cameras just for the reduction in body & lens size. The image quality is comparable to APS-C form factor SLR's - but both the image stabilization and electronic viewfinder offer advantages over a typical SLR setup.

The blogger / photographer Robin Wong has an overview of the OMD 10 mark2 - his site also features street photography in and around Kula Lampour

Check with sites like lensrentals and borrowlenses - they may have a package with body & lenses [OMD EM5 mark 2; Olympus Pro 12-100 f4 would make a nice walk around combo]
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Now planning first Transatlantic September 2017 - round trip
Southern California
7,743 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
You might consider the Sony A6x00 caneras for a DSLR alternative. Same size APS-C sensor as the DSLRs (D7x00, etc.) and actually larger than the Canon Rebels' sensor. 50% larger than the M4/3 sensor despite the body being significantly smaller than all but a couple of the lower-end M4/3 cameras. With the 16-50PZ kit lens (performs way better than the somewhat misleading reviews) it is jacket pocketable and produces excellent image quality. Add class-leading low-light capability and you have the reason I retired my DSLR and switch to these cameras.

Here's a link to one of our recent cruising galleries shot entirely on my A6000/A6300 cameras: http://galleries.pptphoto.com/paccoast2016

Whatever you end up with, enjoy your trip!

Dave
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

"Teams! Together we can do the work of one!" - Despair.com

A cruise ship is my favorite camera accessory!
49 Posts
Joined Dec 2015
I'm taking my Micro 4/3 in preference to my large bulky Nikon. It's a Panasonic G7 also taking a couple of lenses 12-60 and 45-150. It's a great small camera with excellent photos and 4K video.

Last year I only took my Panasonic TZ40, pleased with the photos but in the intense South Pacific sun having no viewfinder was a real pain. Chose the G7 because of its viewfinder and Raw capability.

Intense sun shouldn't be an issue this year as we are off to Norway

Sent from my iPhone using Forums