drying rack that will fit in a suitcase?

travelbug615

Looking for a drying rack that will fold up to fit in a suitcase. Would like to have something other than the clothes line in the shower to hang wet bathing suits to dry on. I want it to fit in the shower/tub area so it wont make a mess for the room steward.

Anyone out there found such a rack?

Looking for a drying rack that will fold up to fit in a suitcase. Would like to have something other than the clothes line in the shower to hang wet bathing suits to dry on. I want it to fit in the shower/tub area so it wont make a mess for the room steward.

Anyone out there found such a rack?

I read once where someone brought big balloons with them. They blew them up once on-board and laid the suits over the balloons to dry.

An alternative is to buy suction shower hooks and use that for drip drying things in the shower stall. I doubt a drying rack would fit in a standard cruise shower stall unless you have a tub too. Those things are tiny!

An alternative is to buy suction shower hooks and use that for drip drying things in the shower stall. I doubt a drying rack would fit in a standard cruise shower stall unless you have a tub too. Those things are tiny!

We have a minisuite with the tub

Understand the issue... when the clothes are over the line they are folded and take a while to dry where touching.

Could simply use old fashioned clothes pins on the line.

Or

Use a pants hanger on the line as it already has the clips.

Or

The Pressa from IKEA might work.

http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/80189663/

I've seen cheaper versions of these at dollar stores (Daiso).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We've used a stretchable two cord clothesline for travel for 16 years. It has suction cups and hooks on the end. DH bought two strong magnets with hooks from Home Depot and, putting one on each cabin wall and attaching the line across the cabin, nothing we put on it will pull it down.

Here is one like we have. It's indestructible and will last through many trips.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/43479066?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=223&adid=22222222227031373917&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=55993673336&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=99992338376&veh=sem

We dislike using the cord in the shower. It can be moldy or dirty, doesn't hold much, and items are slow to dry and need to be moved every time the shower is used.

Edited by PescadoAmarillo

Try Bed Bath and Beyond. Polder compact drying rack. 19.99

Reviews says it is very small and should state for apt. size. This might work. I have been looking for one to fit in a suitcase for a beach trip that we are flying too. Good luck in finding one!

OP, if you are just hanging swim suits, they dry so fast if doing a warm weather cruise. We just hang them on the verandah chairs and they are dry by the time we finish our showers.

If using the inside pools during cool weather cruising, then just hang them in the shower with the pants hangars and rope. I think packing a drying rack for a cruise is over thinking this.;)

If its not dripping wet, we only bring enough cloths to take up half the closet pole. I just hang my stuff on a hanger and hang it in the closet, usually 2-3 inches apart, its dry by the time I want to wear it.

I bring multiple swim suits. I always have a dry one. Surely this will take up less space than a clothes rack.

I do have a small one that you get to hang underwear on outdoor clothes line usually about 12" diameter with pegs attached with a hanging hook that will clip on to clothes line.

Unfortunately I don't know how to attach a photo so I could show you.

I used strong magnet hooks and a bungee clothes line to do my laundry on a recent Celebrity cruise. Worked great!

Cartagena-Sunday-8352W-L.jpg

Here's an edited picture because I didn't want to post my panties on Cruise Critic!:o

Edited by Cindy

Roll your wet suits in a towel to get out excess moisture, then drape over a hanger, and hang it from the air vent in the cabin. They will dry in no time. The bathroom takes FOREVER for stuff to dry!

OR...after your "last dip" in the pool, rinse off in the outdoor shower and let the suit dry ON YOU...no need to rinse again!

Edited by cb at sea

On my very first cruise decades ago. I did not know about the "line" that strings out in the shower to dry stuff. So I go and buy this plastic "umbrella" looking thing, has a hook instead of a handle to hang up then the "ribs" of the umbrella had clips to hang your stuff on to dry. So it looked like an upside down umbrella drying your stuff....reason for this post...too much junk to pack, just use hooks in the bathroom or just hang in closet to dry OR head to the laundry and use the dryer.

:eek:

On my very first cruise decades ago. . So it ....reason for this post...too much junk to pack,.

This cracked me up..thinking of how I packed for the first few cruises some 20 plus years ago. And that's when the rooms on the ships were TINY. I remember having to pack for casual, semiformal AND formal nights. Poor Dh packing sportcoat and tux/dark suit. Steamers allowed to touch up all the clothes in the room, outfit changing for every part of the day, purses and shoes to match all the outfits etc. :eek: I'm glad things have changed ;)

Edited by eandj

I didn't expect so many replies. Thank you.

I understand packing light (we did two weeks of land travel in Europe with just a carry on bag last summer)

We are planning some long cruises. Since we try to swim everyday and moving wet suits around when we have to shower and change for dinner gets to be a bother. I was wanting to find something where we can just lift it out of the shower and put it back in when we are done getting ready for dinner.

Question about those heavy duty magnets... do you not worry that they will mess up your electronics room cards if you accidentally get them too close?

Thanks for all the replies and pictures to boot. I appreciate all the sharing here on CC

I didn't expect so many replies. Thank you.

I understand packing light (we did two weeks of land travel in Europe with just a carry on bag last summer)

We are planning some long cruises. Since we try to swim everyday and moving wet suits around when we have to shower and change for dinner gets to be a bother. I was wanting to find something where we can just lift it out of the shower and put it back in when we are done getting ready for dinner.

Question about those heavy duty magnets... do you not worry that they will mess up your electronics room cards if you accidentally get them too close?

Thanks for all the replies and pictures to boot. I appreciate all the sharing here on CC

We've never had an issue with the magnets. I can't imagine why your room card would need to be close to them. We put them on opposite walls when we unpack and stretch the clothesline between them and they stay there until we pack up at the end of the cruise. We sometimes joke that they might interfere with flight navigation but that isn't an issue either. The whole setup- 2 magnets with hooks and the clothesline- fit in a sandwich-sized bag. Couldn't be simpler.

:eek:

This cracked me up..thinking of how I packed for the first few cruises some 20 plus years ago. And that's when the rooms on the ships were TINY. I remember having to pack for casual, semiformal AND formal nights. Poor Dh packing sportcoat and tux/dark suit. Steamers allowed to touch up all the clothes in the room, outfit changing for every part of the day, purses and shoes to match all the outfits etc. :eek: I'm glad things have changed ;)

If the OP has traveled with a backpack, that's great, that's my goal. 10 nights with just a backpack. My first cruises I believe we were able to take a travel iron, hair dryer, which on one ship, formal night, everyone turned on their hair dryers at the same time and blew a fuse, NO joke. All our toiletries, I think I took a gallon size shampoo and conditioner, constant changes of clothes...and the shoes...that was the worst. So posters, always look for a way to downsize packing, less is more they say. But I am still scratching my head on the cruisers who want to bring their bicycles with them.

Edited by myfuzzy

The magnetic hooks are transported in the luggage that is checked with the porter. The hooks go directly from the luggage to the wall. One holds a small backpack with snorkeling gear, plus one each with a skirt hanger for his/hers bathing suits. They are hung in the cabin, where there is better air circulation, and above our heads where they are not in the way. They are never close to room cards, as they are handled only twice during the cruise (unpacking and packing).

I don't take many "extras" with me (no over-the-door shoe holders, duct tape, bungee cords, etc) but find the hooks invaluable.