Mekong excursion with Azamara

santrah

Azamara are in Ho Chi Minh City from 8.00am until 1700hrs.

They have a Mekong River tour 7hrs for $159USD, it looks OK does this tour. I have contacted a reputable tour operator who has been mentioned on this forum and has excellent reviews on trip advisor, their itinerary is more off the beaten track and as the tour is tailor made offers a more indepth view of the area, their price is $105USD for the two of us. They are able to collect us at the port gates at 8.00am (will we be cleared for independent guests to depart or Azamara tours only at this time?) and drop us back at 1630hrs (I would probably ask for a 1600hrs return if I book it as I presume 1630hrs is the 'last call' for guests to return to the ship?

Would you book the Azamara guaranteed return to ship tour bearing in mind that I expect the group will be large or book the tailor made tour? I haven't been able to source many reviews of the Azamara Mekong tour on the internet.

As soon as the ship clears you can leave- could be 745 to 830.. yes be back closer to 4. you have to 445 but with traffic ... you Are not finding much info on this tour thru AZ because with one day there people tend to go to the cIty.

I hope you don't mind me asking but why do you say always book a private tour. We are new to Azamara and on previous Celebrity cruises we have booked a mixture of private and ship tours. Agreed some tours with Celebrity missed the mark because of ' shopping opportunities ' rather than the quality of the tour or the other people. Others have been excellent.

I had naively assumed that the quality of Azamara tours would match the quality of their ships.

I know Azamara tours are pricy but again assumed I would be paying for quality.

If you have experiences to share please do so as I like to be as informed as possible.

Thank you 'welshfamily' - in my posting of this thread I was hoping I was asking this question too about the Azamara excursions or 'Land Discoveries' as they are called. Are Azamara excursions worth paying more for - not just the assurance that you it won't sail without you. Are you 'herded' along on them?

I can see from some of the descriptions that there are targeted shopping times! The private tour distinctly mentions no shopping!

i think this person feel smaller groups are better. i do agree unless the distance is like 2 hours each way and the ship leaves before 8 pm.. if you break down you could still miss the ship..

I have found in general private tours are better. .ship tours are big. .but in Asia i went for more ship tours to get places. i had lunch when 4 buses came in. food so/so.

now in a private i had a few meals that did not cut it but in general they are better.

the more i cruise the more I do my own thing.

Welshfamily,

I say always book the private tour for several reason. First, I like to determine the agenda, not have it dictated to me. And if I want to change something during the tour I can. Second, I prefer being in a car with just those traveling with me to being on a bus with 40 other people, some of whom always keep you waiting while they shop or need to use the restroom just at the moment you're supposed to leave. Third, and perhaps most important, it's usually cheaper to do a private tour than to pay for two or three or four people individually on a ship's tour.

We did a similar cruise on Azamara several years ago. We used Water Buffalo Tours and had a great tour/private just two people. He took us to where he was born underground during the war and he and his brother took us on motor bikes around some of the rice paddies. We did much more. A highlight of the trip.

ctkathy - this is the tour company I contacted! They are great to have contact with and their reviews are very good. I wasn't sure if we can mention company names on the website. I have emailed them and booked an earlier return to the ship, very tailored made tour based on our likes and interests.

I shall let you know how we get on!

Thank you for all your valued comments.