Led Astray by Lottie A

nordski

As followers of this forum know, Lottie A is a sophisticated and knowledgable source on this forum concerning cruising in general, and Azamara in particular.

Thus I was intrigued when she mentioned a series of novels set in a certain port, on a certain island in the Mediterranean, and concerning a certain Police Inspector. Having been to that port on Azamara, and with time on my hands having been recently consigned to a period in dry-dock, I downloaded the first in that series. Now, several months and seven books later, I realize I am seriously addicted. This is costly and distracting. Costly not only in terms of the novels purchased, but I now want to return to that certain port to undertake a tour of that setting. Distracting in that I find myself, in the midst of more serious reading (presently a history of the Plantagenets), wondering "What will Police Inspector S**** be up to?" in the next in the series.

I want to thank Lottie A for her suggestion since it's opened a door to some serious enjoyment. On the other hand I've attempted to draw a veil over her recommendation lest others be as weak as I.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You have gotten hooked deeply enough to call him by his first name! Perhaps we could start a 12-step group, which of course would have to meet at a certain trattoria for mullet ("I'm not hungry, just bring me three orders -- as a starter")!

Literature-loving Lottie strikes a bullseye!! C'mon Nordski, don't leave us all in suspense. Name that Inspector. Those of us taking a 15 night Azamara transatlantic (like yours truly) would love to succumb to his charms as well....;)

Is the port Venice or is it Sicily? I have read every one of the books featuring a certain Inspector in Venice and find myself reminiscing about the streets and foods mentioned. I haven't read the books for the detective in Sicily but have watched the subtitled series.

I was worried my "interesting past" had caught up with me when I read the title of your post. :D

Thanks for the "sophisticated and knowledgeable" description but you forgot very attractive too.......:D:D:D

So glad you are enjoying the Inspector Montalbano books set in beautiful Sicily. I have no problems about encouraging others to join in my Salvo addiction!

Have you watched the DVD's? They are great.....the settings around Sicily are wonderful and Luca Zingaretti is exactly as I visualise Salvo Montalbano. You can buy them on Amazon......maybe something for your list to Santa?

Host Jazzbeau....only three mullet? Just a little snack then!

G2G....the port is Porto Empedocles Vigata near lovely Agricento and the Vigata was added in 2003....it is the fictional setting for the Montalbano books. Their author, Andrea Camilleri was born here and lots of the books are set around the area.

Deirdre.....I think you will love them.

The other books mentioned set in Venice are also wonderful. They are written by Donna Leon and the central character is Commisario Brunetti.....he's a great detective but he just isn't the irascible and wonderful Salvo Montalbano!

Hazel....if you are reading this ....stop laughing! My Salvo addiction is harmless, as you know. :)

I am flying to the States tomorrow for a holiday with my partner and Salvo is coming with me.....I have downloaded the newish book Montalbano's First Case....alas it is only 97 pages so I will be re-reading a few of the older books too.

Happy reading everyone. Perhaps we could have an Azamara Book Club thread?

I do like to read book recommendations from other cruisers.

HI

I love a good read - can you post a link to some of her books since all I get when I google are booked by Jacqueline Wilson re Lottie.

I'm sorry that I don't know the author but the books are about Inspector Montalbano and he is based around the Agricento area in Sicily.

Please don't encourage Lottie A fellow CC posters. She is seriously hooked on Salvo. I have often told her (in fun of course) not to get carried away. He is a fictional character LOL :)

I was worried my "interesting past" had caught up with me when I read the title of your post. :D

Thanks for the "sophisticated and knowledgeable" description but you forgot very attractive too.......:D:D:D

So glad you are enjoying the Inspector Montalbano books set in beautiful Sicily. I have no problems about encouraging others to join in my Salvo addiction!

Have you watched the DVD's? They are great.....the settings around Sicily are wonderful and Luca Zingaretti is exactly as I visualise Salvo Montalbano. You can buy them on Amazon......maybe something for your list to Santa?

Host Jazzbeau....only three mullet? Just a little snack then!

G2G....the port is Porto Empedocles Vigata near lovely Agricento and the Vigata was added in 2003....it is the fictional setting for the Montalbano books. Their author, Andrea Camilleri was born here and lots of the books are set around the area.

Deirdre.....I think you will love them.

The other books mentioned set in Venice are also wonderful. They are written by Donna Leon and the central character is Commisario Brunetti.....he's a great detective but he just isn't the irascible and wonderful Salvo Montalbano!

Hazel....if you are reading this ....stop laughing! My Salvo addiction is harmless, as you know. :)

I am flying to the States tomorrow for a holiday with my partner and Salvo is coming with me.....I have downloaded the newish book Montalbano's First Case....alas it is only 97 pages so I will be re-reading a few of the older books too.

Lottie,

Our posts crossed. I think this is totally hilarious. Does K know Inspector Montalbano is accompanying you on your trip. I fear you are a lost cause :D

But the idea of an Azamara book club sounds fun

Lottie,

Our posts crossed. I think this is totally hilarious. Does K know Inspector Montalbano is accompanying you on your trip. I fear you are a lost cause :D

But the idea of an Azamara book club sounds fun

Hazel....What K doesn't know won't hurt him....but he's wise enough to know that he's the "second" love of my life.....after that bald Italian guy of course! :D

Love the idea of reading books set in the ports we visit. In 2013, when docked in Leith, I was reading a book where a murder had actually been committed in the port. Sorry, can't remember the name or the author. But here are a couple of other suggestions -

The Amber Room by Steve Berry, set in St Petersburg. And the Greek Detective series by Anne Zouroudi.

I thought about the DVD's but, given the clear and apparent attractions of Salvo on the page, I have no intention of introducing my wife to the screen version.

One mustn't be heedless of the unfortunate comparisons that would ensue. :)

I should also point out, that I think the series definitely improves with each new story.

Your idea of a book club is an excellent one.

Edited by nordski

What was it about that cruise?

We were on the same sailing and met up with a lovely British couple who " suggested" we might enjoy Downton Abbey. Enjoy is putting it mildly. We are transfixed, binge watching the complete episodes on DVD.

Perhaps those famous Sirens are not mythological!

For anyone visiting Montreal or Quebec, may I suggest the books by Louise Penny about Inspector Gamache, I loved reading them when I recently took a cruise to the Eastern seaboard.

Love the idea of reading books set in the ports we visit. In 2013, when docked in Leith, I was reading a book where a murder had actually been committed in the port. Sorry, can't remember the name or the author. But here are a couple of other suggestions -

The Amber Room by Steve Berry, set in St Petersburg. And the Greek Detective series by Anne Zouroudi.

It would have either been a Quintin Jardine - a brilliant writer who creates such realistic pictures of Edinburgh and you are sure you know some of the characters in his book

or

Ian Rankin whose well known Rebus books are based in Edinburgh. Rankin has a massive following and one fun thing you can do if Edinburgh is now a been there done that place for you is to go on a Rebus walking tour. These are either formal tours - google them or there is this brilliant ap you can use

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fitunes.apple.com%2Fgb%2Fapp%2Fian-rankins-edinburgh%2Fid384080636%3Fmt%3D8&ei=kzuAVIXEJ6Kt7AaXqoCwBA&usg=AFQjCNHifBRj3rfsW5ZgvDx7O7AXgsQWVw&bvm=bv.80642063,d.ZWU

It would have either been a Quintin Jardine - a brilliant writer who creates such realistic pictures of Edinburgh and you are sure you know some of the characters in his book

or

Ian Rankin whose well known Rebus books are based in Edinburgh. Rankin has a massive following and one fun thing you can do if Edinburgh is now a been there done that place for you is to go on a Rebus walking tour. These are either formal tours - google them or there is this brilliant ap you can use

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fitunes.apple.com%2Fgb%2Fapp%2Fian-rankins-edinburgh%2Fid384080636%3Fmt%3D8&ei=kzuAVIXEJ6Kt7AaXqoCwBA&usg=AFQjCNHifBRj3rfsW5ZgvDx7O7AXgsQWVw&bvm=bv.80642063,d.ZWU

It was Quintin Jardine! Thanks. Now I can seek out other books by him. I have read many Ian Rankin books - they are great. Would love to return to Edinburgh. Will keep the Rebus tour in mind if I do.

For anyone visiting Montreal or Quebec, may I suggest the books by Louise Penny about Inspector Gamache, I loved reading them when I recently took a cruise to the Eastern seaboard.

Agree. Her latest book, The Long Way Home, is particularly good.

It was Quintin Jardine! Thanks. Now I can seek out other books by him. I have read many Ian Rankin books - they are great. Would love to return to Edinburgh. Will keep the Rebus tour in mind if I do.

Oh he is so good - try and read the books in sequence as that way Bob Skinners life and career develops in sequence. Be careful though when buying on line that you get one that is about Skinner. He also has a second series, the Oz Blackstone novels which are set in Spain. Interestingly Jardine himself lives in Edinburgh but has a house in Spain as well.

As someone who knows Edinburgh his descriptions of places, sounds and life are spot on. I remember one book he was describing a hostage incident at a conference in a hotel. I used to deliver a lot of training in that hotel and wow, it was so right, right down to the description of which room lead off others etc only difference was I knew it as Norton House, I cannot recall what he called it in his novel

Not exactly set in a port that we can visit (except in a Tardis), but I really like the series by Tasha Alexander (Lady Emily in Victorian England, Santorini, Istanbul, etc.). Must be read in order because of Lady Emily's life story arc.

What a good idea - an Azamara Club Cruises book club !

I usually borrow a few novels from the library on embarkation day and can frequently be found at breakfast on disembarkation day frantically trying to read the last few pages of a book.

I would recommend "Miss Garnet's Angel" by Salley Vickers for anyone spending time in Venice. The church mentioned in the book is within easy walking distance of the cruise ships' dock.

And, by the way, she also wrote "Dancing Backwards" - a novel set on a Transatlantic cruise ...

Edited by workingtocruise-59
Typo

What a good idea - an Azamara Club Cruises book club !

I usually borrow a few novels from the library on embarkation day and can frequently be found at breakfast on disembarkation day frantically trying to read the last few pages of a book.

I would recommend "Miss Garnet's Angel" by Salley Vickers for anyone spending time in Venice. The church mentioned in the book is within easy walking distance of the cruise ships' dock.

And, by the way, she also wrote "Dancing Backwards" - a novel set on a Transatlantic cruise ...

I enjoyed 'Miss Garnet's Angel very much but have not heard of the other Salley Vickers novel you mentioned. It has now gone on to my 'to read' list. Thank you workingtocruise-59