Azmara after Royal Caribbean, some questions

ccotting

Hello all:

I would appreciate your help.

We are considering an Azmara cruise after spending some years on Royal. I've reviewed some of the newbie questions but I have some that I haven't yet found answers to so I hope you all can help!

We have been told for years that our RCI status will be recognized by Azmara but the Azmara booking agent has said not for the first cruise at all. Only after we have cruised once with Azmara do we get our status. We are Diamond Plus with RCI. It's not what I understand from the web, anyone help with experience here?

The liquor thing has us confused. We are told free drinks and wine but the room is stocked with some bottles, these are free or charged? Cocktails are free at the bar with standard liquor? Yes or No?

Based on something Mr. Pimmental said recently ("Azamara includes a standard pour of wine at lunch and dinner in the cost of its cruise fare") it sounds like the best you get at meals is one glass? Or not?

Is the dinner service open seating or a set time dining?

We have our reservation on 'hold' and are trying to decide. We love the itineraries. RCI is going big ship and those ships can't get into many of the ports we are interested in.

I look forward to hearing from all of you.

Kind regards

Hello all:

I would appreciate your help.

We are considering an Azmara cruise after spending some years on Royal. I've reviewed some of the newbie questions but I have some that I haven't yet found answers to so I hope you all can help!

We have been told for years that our RCI status will be recognized by Azmara but the Azmara booking agent has said not for the first cruise at all. Only after we have cruised once with Azmara do we get our status. We are Diamond Plus with RCI. It's not what I understand from the web, anyone help with experience here?

The liquor thing has us confused. We are told free drinks and wine but the room is stocked with some bottles, these are free or charged? Cocktails are free at the bar with standard liquor? Yes or No?

Based on something Mr. Pimmental said recently ("Azamara includes a standard pour of wine at lunch and dinner in the cost of its cruise fare") it sounds like the best you get at meals is one glass? Or not?

Is the dinner service open seating or a set time dining?

We have our reservation on 'hold' and are trying to decide. We love the itineraries. RCI is going big ship and those ships can't get into many of the ports we are interested in.

I look forward to hearing from all of you.

Kind regards

Hi and welcome to one of our favorite cruise lines.

I will do my best to answer your questions.

The agent is wrong. You will receive benefits on your first cruise.I am not sure if you are Discover or Discover Plus, you you do indeed get benefits. Make sure you have a Le Club Voyage number. Our number for Royal, Celebrity and Azamara are all the same.

Wine is free with lunch and dinner. Not just one glass, as much as you would like. The Suites have bar set ups with free liquor, the mini bar is not free. Azamara sells liquor packages just like Celebrity and Royal, if you want to drink liquor or better wines.

There are no formal nights and dinner is by seating or open seating, you choice at reservation time. The two specialty restaurants are open seating at all times, they take reservations. They are free for Suite guests, or for a charge for non Suite guests.

We love Azamara. It is a great size ship and the staff is incredible. It is like coming home every time we board her. You can see from our signature how much we enjoy traveling on Azamara.

If I got anything wrong, fellow Cruise Critics, please feel free to correct. Sometimes I get Celebrity and Azamara a little mixed up.

Our status was immediate upon our first cruise as will be yours. Your wine glass will never be empty at lunch or dinner. You will walk into dinner when you wish, be seated as you wish, by yourselves or at a larger table. Standard drinks are available without charge at any bar. Ther is not liquor in the room unless you have a suite, but of course you can carry a drink to your room. You can carry wine aboard from any port to your room. Basically you will be treated as an adult.

The ships can get to wonderful ports and they are often berthed in the heart of the action. The personal attention and is genuine from your room steward up yo the captain. Both ships have staff that truly seem to take pride in their jobs and are enabled to say yes to any reasonable request.

Am I a cheerleader? Perhaps, but I'm just two weeks back from a very enjoyable week in the Carribbean on Royal. For Europe ,though, it will likely always be Azamara.

I thought the standard list of drinks was complimentary through out the ship, including wine and beer......am I wrong, is wine or beer only available at lunch and dinner unless you buy a drink package? There definitely has been some confusing information regarding this.

I thought the standard list of drinks was complimentary through out the ship, including wine and beer......am I wrong, is wine or beer only available at lunch and dinner unless you buy a drink package? There definitely has been some confusing information regarding this.

Included wines, liquors and soft drinks are available at no cost everywhere on the ship and throughout the day or night (except for room service). Also the speciality coffees in Mosaic Cafe are free of charge (except Nespresso specialty coffees???). I have been very happy with the availability of included beverages, but occassionally do purchase a port or something that is not included at a small charge.

Edited by leo178

The information regarding recognizing previous RCI and Celebrity passengers on their first Azamara Cruise is truly confusing. So much so that I had a series of e-mails back and forth with Nicole, the head of Le Club. Following is a quote from Nicole's e-mail regarding first cruise for previous RCI/Celebrity passengers As others have stated, we provided our Celebrity Captain's Club number when booking and it is in the system and confirmed:

"Also, I wanted to mention to you that since this will be your first

Azamara voyage, you will not be able to take advantage of the Le Club

benefits; however, you will be able to take advantage of the Le Club

onboard booking program where as Adventurer members you'd receive 3%

savings on future bookings (plus a $200 future onboard credit if you select

a ship and sail date.) Once you complete your first full fare voyage, you

then would technically be a Le Club member and would begin receiving Le

Club benefits."

Realize that several people have posted that they did get benefits on their first Azamara Cruise and am no arguing with them at all as perhaps what actually occurs on board is different than what is stated from Miami. Hopefully you will receive your benefits on your first Azamara voyage and hopefully we will too but, don't be surprised if the above is what occurs.

Perhaps with the change in Le Club rules, the change was effective Jan 1, 2015 when the rules recently changed. Will be interesting to see what occurs once we board.

Hi and welcome to one of our favorite cruise lines.

There are no formal nights and dinner is by seating or open seating, you choice at reservation time. The two specialty restaurants are open seating at all times, they take reservations. They are free for Suite guests, or for a charge for non Suite guests.

Just a very small correction, it is Open Seating at all times in the MDR, there is no reserving of tables, although as you get known as the cruise goes by you can often get the same table if its free. You can only (and often need to) reserve tables in the speciality restaurants. It's wise to book a couple of these at check in where there is usually a table for this purpose, otherwise there is always one on board.

Have a great cruise, you will enjoy it:)

Just a very small correction, it is Open Seating at all times in the MDR, there is no reserving of tables, although as you get known as the cruise goes by you can often get the same table if its free. You can only (and often need to) reserve tables in the speciality restaurants. It's wise to book a couple of these at check in where there is usually a table for this purpose, otherwise there is always one on board.

Have a great cruise, you will enjoy it:)

Thanks for that correction. We always ate in the Specialty Restaurants so I was not sure about that. I was also corrected about drinks being free as we only drink wine. I do know that they sell a premium drink package so I was a little confused. Sorry

The information regarding recognizing previous RCI and Celebrity passengers on their first Azamara Cruise is truly confusing. So much so that I had a series of e-mails back and forth with Nicole, the head of Le Club. Following is a quote from Nicole's e-mail regarding first cruise for previous RCI/Celebrity passengers As others have stated, we provided our Celebrity Captain's Club number when booking and it is in the system and confirmed:

"Also, I wanted to mention to you that since this will be your first

Azamara voyage, you will not be able to take advantage of the Le Club

benefits; however, you will be able to take advantage of the Le Club

onboard booking program where as Adventurer members you'd receive 3%

savings on future bookings (plus a $200 future onboard credit if you select

a ship and sail date.) Once you complete your first full fare voyage, you

then would technically be a Le Club member and would begin receiving Le

Club benefits."

Realize that several people have posted that they did get benefits on their first Azamara Cruise and am no arguing with them at all as perhaps what actually occurs on board is different than what is stated from Miami. Hopefully you will receive your benefits on your first Azamara voyage and hopefully we will too but, don't be surprised if the above is what occurs.

Perhaps with the change in Le Club rules, the change was effective Jan 1, 2015 when the rules recently changed. Will be interesting to see what occurs once we board.

What timing, just got a message from Nicole that she had to correct what I posted above and that all of the people stating that they would receive reciprocal benefits based on the equivalent Azamara club level on their first as well as future cruises on Azamara. Sorry to provide incorrect information but, was simply providing what AZ provided to me in writing.

Have to thank Nicole for making the correction so I can post the correct information. I find it extremely gratifying that Azamara provided a correction that I can pass on to others. Errors occur and it is great when people and companies own up to an error and provide the correct information.

Kudos to Azamara!!

What timing, just got a message from Nicole that she had to correct what I posted above and that all of the people stating that they would receive reciprocal benefits based on the equivalent Azamara club level on their first as well as future cruises on Azamara. Sorry to provide incorrect information but, was simply providing what AZ provided to me in writing.

Have to thank Nicole for making the correction so I can post the correct information. I find it extremely gratifying that Azamara provided a correction that I can pass on to others. Errors occur and it is great when people and companies own up to an error and provide the correct information.

Kudos to Azamara!!

Firstly, thank you to all who posted, you have been most helpful! Now, I am having trouble understanding what you have written rallydave. Are you saying that reciprocal benefits are offered on the first cruise? I have a sense you typed quickly and missed a few connectors! Thanks again

Believe I said it correctly and yes, it is on your first Azamara cruise assuming of course that you have cruised RCL and/or Celebrity in the past but, let me try again. Here is what Nicole wrote:

Since you have sailed with Celebrity you will receive the Le Club Voyage

benefits onboard that are reciprocal to your tier level. You are a Classic

member with Celebrity which places you as an Adventurer member with

Azamara.

This is in my specific case. They take your level with the other cruise lines and convert that level to the equivalent Azamara level and then get those Azamara benefits at that tier level.

Hope this clarifies the policy.

Edited by rallydave

Believe I said it correctly and yes, it is on your first Azamara cruise assuming of course that you have cruised RCL and/or Celebrity in the past but, let me try again. Here is what Nicole wrote:

Since you have sailed with Celebrity you will receive the Le Club Voyage

benefits onboard that are reciprocal to your tier level. You are a Classic

member with Celebrity which places you as an Adventurer member with

Azamara.

This is in my specific case. They take your level with the other cruise lines and convert that level to the equivalent Azamara level and then get those Azamara benefits at that tier level.

Hope this clarifies the policy.

Yep, there was an ending missing on the first sentence of your earlier post... :) Well done you for getting the clarification!

I'm glad we've settled the reciprocal benefits question, because I was told when I called Azamara Ambassador Club Loyalty desk and got my number, that I would be given reciprocal benefits on my first cruise and that's what I am counting on! :D

I also read that the dining room is open seating both in terms of time and tables, and I'm counting on that! These may seem like small details, but both of these factored into my decision to go with Azamara over a similar itinerary on a Windstar cruise. I had quite a pro and con list going before I made my deposit! ;)

I'm glad we've settled the reciprocal benefits question, because I was told when I called Azamara Ambassador Club Loyalty desk and got my number, that I would be given reciprocal benefits on my first cruise and that's what I am counting on! :D

I also read that the dining room is open seating both in terms of time and tables, and I'm counting on that! These may seem like small details, but both of these factored into my decision to go with Azamara over a similar itinerary on a Windstar cruise. I had quite a pro and con list going before I made my deposit! ;)

You are correct...the MDR (main dining room) has open seating in terms of time and tables. You may have to wait a few minutes if, for example, you want a two-top and none are available. Or you may make friends with another couple and are looking for a 4-top, etc. It is the same as in any nice restaurant where you arrive without a reservation.

Speaking of reservations, say you make lots of friends and want to organize a group dinner. You should talk to the Maitre d' in advance to arrange a time & table.

Well, we're not on Board yet but we have had confirmed that we will receive reciprocity for our RCI level on Board. So I have faith.

The confusion arose over the Azamara points. I think that is what the person who handled the reservation for Azamara might have been thinking. While we will receive equivalent level benefits on our first cruise, we don't start to accumulate Azamara loyalty points until our second. I'm good with that.

I've got the dining and drinks more or less sorted too.

Now. Thermal suite? Costs to go? Single day or cruise package for that? Booking speciality restaurants? Give us the scoop team!

• 2 weeks later...

Included drinks are available free throughout the ship and all day and evening. Not all brands are free, but ther is a free offer of most types of spirit and several beers. Wine is the wine of the day, however if you don't like that day's white or red ask for another one - they can usually find one you will like that may be due to be the wine of the day on another day.

Beer is included BUT only Bud or Bud Light. They also offer Becks but did not have any for the first 2 days on our cruise. There is a wine list that is a bit longer to choose from and mostly standard liquors like gin etc

Beer is included BUT only Bud or Bud Light. They also offer Becks but did not have any for the first 2 days on our cruise. There is a wine list that is a bit longer to choose from and mostly standard liquors like gin etc

Alas - looks like I won't be drinking beer. But then again, I'm on a Greece/Italy cruise, so beer would seem out of place anyway. :)

• 3 weeks later...
I have seen that there are no formal nights, however I would like more specifics as to acceptable dress on Azamara.

Thank you. :)

Dining room dress code from the Azamara web site:

"Azamara Club Cruises® voyages have a resort casual dress code. This means there are no required formal nights, but guests who prefer to dress in formal attire are always welcome to do so. We only ask that guests refrain from bare feet, tank tops, ball caps, bathing suits, or jeans in the dining room or specialty restaurants."

As the OP is D+ with RCI you should automatically be Discoverer with Lcv, due to the reciprocal benefits between the programmes.

There is one membership number for RCI, (usually begins with 3xxxxx) and one membership number for Celebrity Captains Club / Azamara ( usually begins with 7xxx).

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Edited by little britain

• 2 weeks later...

I want to add a big "thank you" to all the helpful posters. Being tired of RCL, I have been searching out different cruises and I an going to book a West Indies on Dec 2017.... This now has me searching for 2016....:D