Azamara on UK TV

little britain

Just noticed in the Daily Mail TV guide there is a feature called 'Cruise Ship Adventures' starting on Watch on May 5th at 8pm

TV naturalist Nigel Marven in a 6 part series 'for a tour of the world's most beautiful animal hotspots'. It mentions New Orleans, USVI, Dominica and Miami where Captain Carl Smith 'bent the rules to allow extra filming', and was taught how to catch an alligator by the tail. Useful.

Set your Sky Plus boxes!

Edited by little britain

You beat me to the punch! Here's a bit more information:

Wildlife presenter and enthusiast Nigel Marven presents brand new series ‘Cruise Ship Adventures’ which debuts on UKTV's Watch on Tuesday 5th May at 8pm.

Received from UK MD Richard Twynam:

The programme starts on Watch TV on Tues May 5th and can be found on

Sky TV- Channel 109

Virgin TV - Channel 124

BT Vision - 407

The best thing is that it features many of the guys from the ships, including but not limited to Captain Carl, Captain Jose, and Cruise Director Eric, to name just a few.

Thanks,

Richard

You beat me to the punch! Here's a bit more information:

Wildlife presenter and enthusiast Nigel Marven presents brand new series ‘Cruise Ship Adventures’ which debuts on UKTV's Watch on Tuesday 5th May at 8pm.

Received from UK MD Richard Twynam:

The programme starts on Watch TV on Tues May 5th and can be found on

Sky TV- Channel 109

Virgin TV - Channel 124

BT Vision - 407

The best thing is that it features many of the guys from the ships, including but not limited to Captain Carl, Captain Jose, and Cruise Director Eric, to name just a few.

Thanks,

Richard

We were looking forward to that but don't get those channels on Freeview, which is all we have :(. Will have to hunt around and find someone to record it for us!

• 2 weeks later...

Well Done Captain Carl! You can now add Alligator Wrestling to your C.V.

Have to say the look on his face was priceless when, after having dragged the alligator out of the pool by pulling on his tail, then Nigel asked him did he want to sit on the very large alligator and hold his jaw shut? I bet the first answer that sprang to his mind was NOT "of course I would Nigel":D:D:D

But of course, being Captain Carl....he did it!

Looking forward to next week.....it's Journey to The Fjords.....with Eric in his pink spangly frock of course.

Wasn't it great? Amazing wildlife. Carl did really well. Joao, Security Officer and total character Silvano. I saw a clip from next week with my favourite Ukrainians, Sasha and Dima the ballroom dancers. Eric and the puffins. It'll be good. Show 5 is the India cruise I did back in December.

Phil

Wasn't it great? Amazing wildlife. Carl did really well. Joao, Security Officer and total character Silvano. I saw a clip from next week with my favourite Ukrainians, Sasha and Dima the ballroom dancers. Eric and the puffins. It'll be good. Show 5 is the India cruise I did back in December.

Phil

It really was a great show. Loved seeing all the familiar faces onboard. And Phil, will we be seeing your own handsome face on episode 5? :D

Thanks! TiVo set. Nigel was filming on our Quest trip around India in December too.

Phil

Hi Phil. I hope to find the Sky 109 channel that the Nigel and Azamara programme featured in, yesterday evening (plus the forthcoming episodes).

But mostly, I wanted to thank you for that most thoughtful act of kindness at Athens Airport. It made the world of difference to my long and tiring day... just as well, as there was a huge motorway detour on the way home from Manchester... I arrived home around 1.5hours late (after midnight).

Best wishes, and regards to Helen too. S.

Hi Phil. I hope to find the Sky 109 channel that the Nigel and Azamara programme featured in, yesterday evening (plus the forthcoming episodes).

But mostly, I wanted to thank you for that most thoughtful act of kindness at Athens Airport. It made the world of difference to my long and tiring day... just as well, as there was a huge motorway detour on the way home from Manchester... I arrived home around 1.5hours late (after midnight).

Best wishes, and regards to Helen too. S.

Sylvia, I haven't forgotten that I must email you. Wiped out after the cruise and then recovery in time to get on Anthem of the Seas so haven't done much organising. It was great to meet you and so glad it worked out at the airport and it made the long day at little more bearable.

Phil

It really was a great show. Loved seeing all the familiar faces onboard. And Phil, will we be seeing your own handsome face on episode 5? :D

Lottie, I sincerely hope not! LOL The film crew were around and about. They were on the tender with us in Galle and filming the ship at sunset over my shoulder, but that bit may have found the cutting room floor;)

Phil

Only got a chance to watch it last night. Great show.

Total respect to Captain Carl with his Alligator handling skills - a braver man than me.

Absolutely! Nigel Marven came across as a very warm and interesting person, exactly how he was around the ship. Really looking forward to the rest of the series.

image.jpg1_zpsv2e9lsrv.jpg

Phil

Sorry, but I have to say that I wasn't very impressed as I think it was far too much of 'I must race back to the ship.....I must race back to the ship'....which, as we all know, is nothing like Azamara ethos of more time in port.

If I was a non cruiser, whilst the wildlife was amazing (especially swimming with whales) I don't think it would have convinced me to go on a cruise.

Let's hope episode 2 is better.

:cool:

Here is a small clip of a very interesting alligator handling session with Nigel and Captain Carl. The Captains expression is priceless.

Gosh, that clip made me screech at the end...the way the jaws snapped closed I thought our Captain was a "goner"!

We managed to watch this last night, thanks to Sky on Demand.

Realised that we were on the TA immediately after that Captain Carl had to "rush back for" after his alligator wrestling and that now makes man of his comments on board so much clearer.

looking forward to watching the rest of the series and a shame Nigel wasn't on the TA as his lectures look very interesting but not so many creatures to watch whilst sailing the Atlantic.

Just watched the second episode of Nigel Marven's Cruise Ship Adventures. It was on Journey to The Fjords, Iceland and The Shetlands this time.

Marvellous puffins....so cute. Nigel missed White Night yet again but did manage to catch Eric's show where he wears the pink spangly frock! It's so nice seeing all the familiar faces and it's probably the last time we will see Captain Jason, but I have to say it's a wildlife programme and not a cruising programme.

Very enjoyable nonetheless and I'm looking forward to Episode 3 from The Med next week.

Just watched the third episode on Quest in The Med. Loved the programme....fascinating wildlife, particularly those griffin birds soaring above the Cretan plateau. I think Nigel may be trying to kill Captain Carl though.....he made him wrestle an alligator in the first episode and tonight he gives him the most venomous scorpion in Europe to hold! :eek:

Must say though that seeing Captain Carl, Russ, Philip etc made me wish I had a Quest cruise booked soon. I feel homesick for Quest, my favourite ship and I think I may need to book a cruise on her for this summer! :)

Just watched the third episode on Quest in The Med. Loved the programme....fascinating wildlife, particularly those griffin birds soaring above the Cretan plateau. I think Nigel may be trying to kill Captain Carl though.....he made him wrestle an alligator in the first episode and tonight he gives him the most venomous scorpion in Europe to hold! :eek:

Must say though that seeing Captain Carl, Russ, Philip etc made me wish I had a Quest cruise booked soon. I feel homesick for Quest, my favourite ship and I think I may need to book a cruise on her for this summer! :)

We have the AzaMAYzing sale ending tonight!

Thanks for the reminder Bonnie but I have two cruises booked, sadly neither with Azamara......one in a week's time, one at the end of June and I'm fitting in a trip to Vegas as well! Then a Silversea cruise in August....so I'm pretty committed time wise at the moment.

Think I might have to wait for a late deal in September....hopefully there will still be cabins available on those recently released cruises.

Looking forward to catching up on it later. I enjoyed last week with Eric and the puffins and my favourite Ukrainians, Sasha and Dima the ballroom dancers.

Phil

• 4 weeks later...

It was part six shown last night, Journey in Antarctica. Spectacular scenery and some excellent trips out. It focussed quite a lot on the crew, including an impromptu snowball fight on the Pool Deck. Great fun. I have really enjoyed this series. Hopefully it will have a wider release so others in different countries can see it. I checked YouTube and only clips so far.

Phil

It was part six shown last night, Journey in Antarctica. Spectacular scenery and some excellent trips out. It focussed quite a lot on the crew, including an impromptu snowball fight on the Pool Deck. Great fun. I have really enjoyed this series. Hopefully it will have a wider release so others in different countries can see it. I checked YouTube and only clips so far.

Phil

I agree Phil. It was a great series and I'm going to keep it on my Skybox to look at when I have withdrawal symptoms from Azamara. I have to say that my two favourite scenes were of Captain Carl wrestling the alligator and the expression on his face when Nigel placed the "most poisonous Scorpion in Europe" in the palm of his hand. Priceless. :D

Nigel finally made it to White Night then, but sadly it was never going to be held outdoors in Antartica! Loved those penguins.

I do hope that the series is shown in other countries too.

Phil

We were on that cruise and it was fantastic, we had the most amazing time and were so lucky that two of our days in Antarctica were incredible weather. The scenery was so beautiful and I think the thing that struck us most was the silence. We were lucky to see a lot of wildlife and Nigel gave some really interesting and well attended talks during the cruise. I am really hoping that at some point the series will either be on TV here or that I can buy the DVDs. I will keep watching out for them!