I'm scared!

excitedofharpenden

I'm currently onboard Royal Caribbean's Anthem of the Seas for a short three night cruise out of Southampton. I never thought I'd take this leap of faith. Those that read the Azamara board know how much I love the size of Journey and Quest and here I am on a ship with a maximum occupancy of 4900 guests. It's got a rock climbing wall which is old hat now, a Flowrider surf simulator which has also been around a while. It's also got a skydiving simulator and something called North Star which is a pod that takes you 300 feet above the sea. It's one impressive place to be.

The cabin is lovely and the design around the ship really stunning. I'm still missing Mosaic though and the bartenders and waiters around the ship that seem to preempt my needs and offer such wonderful service. This is a different experience that I'm going to love with the friends I have with me, but I don't think I'll be changing my Azamara booking plans. We are in Zeebrugge today. If there was an Azamara ship here (docked in much closer most probably) I'd be giving it a longing look.........

Oh, three days unlimited internet with my discount is $30. Compared to what I pay on Azamara that is REAL luxury.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

Hi, Phil. Interesting to know what prices are in the bars and for wine at dinner. So many people go for the bigger ships and I can respect that. I don't think we will ever do it for a longer cruise, but the cruise you are on now would be the perfect opportunity just to give it a try.:) I have some other friends on board as well and they are feeding some pictures and info via FB. Enjoy:D

I have some other friends on board as well and they are feeding some pictures and info via FB. Enjoy:D

:D:D...and they just shared some pics from last night. Looking good Phil. See you are enjoying yourself:):p

Hello Phil,

What a small world! Paul and I are onboard as well!! (Just leaving TWO70, where we had breakfast for trivia in the Schooner Bar.)

It would be lovely to run into you!!

All best John and Paul

Phil,, Azaama gives free internet but i agree not unlimited. I would on go to test put the space thoing and over water thing. what cabin size are you in... i have lots of new A cruises for two years but there is a window to fly onto this but not sure I last a week.

Hello Phil,

What a small world! Paul and I are onboard as well!! (Just leaving TWO70, where we had breakfast for trivia in the Schooner Bar.)

It would be lovely to run into you!!

All best John and Paul

John I will look out for you. Hope to see you around but it will be a challenge!

Phil

Leave us a note ... we're in 13618.

All best and enjoy.

John

PS we are looking out for you as well. We are in Wonderland tonight, then Spectra's Cabaret.

We are in Wonderland tonight too and Schooner prior to We Will Rock You. I'm in 11246. We gotta have narrowed down our chances! LOL

P

Hi Phil

Would love to read a review of the short taster voyage when you are home. We have been put off by the sheer size of these new ships and also what the mix and profile of cruisers might be. You know we prefer the size and scale of Azamara though we are jumping ship in June to go on Eclipse again, the itinerary being one (Iceland) that Azamara were not offering. Having said that our neighbour, a widow in her mid 70's, loves the RCCl ships and is always waxing lyrical about them so we may be tempted yet, who knows.

Enjoy your trip.

Hilary & Colin

It was a reference to being used to a ship with 700 guests and being on one with nearly 5000. My English humour lost in translation.

Phil

Looking forward to meeting you on our future cruise!!! Hang in there!!! :D LuAnn

HI, Phil, glad you are enjoying this new experience. How are the lines, like to get off of the ship or for the tenders?

Do you wait long at dinner time for your food?

Hi Phil,

They say a change is as good as a rest. So glad you are enjoying Anthem.

Just today Lottie and I booked a cruise on HAL purely for the lovely med itinerary where our package includes four full days in Barcelona, two in a hotel and two on board.

We know it will be totally different from Quest and Journey but are expecting to have a great cruise as we always do.

Enjoy your three days

HI, Phil, glad you are enjoying this new experience. How are the lines, like to get off of the ship or for the tenders?

Do you wait long at dinner time for your food?

I will be honest. I haven't exited the ship in port. Just a three nighter and staying on to see as much of this amazing ship as possible. I'm told that SOLAS regulations dictate that all ships must be evacuated in 30 minutes, regardless of size. Embarkation was an absolute breeze. The ship must have at least 4,500 guests onboard.

We ate in Coastal Kitchen yesterday and the service was off. We walked in, but our courses didn't arrive at the same time. The food however was really good. We had dinner in The Grand last night and once again the service was spotty. Too much waiting. My food was good. Others had overcooked halibut. The drinks took an age. We ate in Wonderland tonight and it was fantastic food. The drinks took a long time.

We saw the show "We Will Rock You" this evening. In spite of a technical hitch it was by far the best show I've seen on a ship. West End/Broadway standard. Singing and acting fantastic. Brian May was guitarist last week. Curly Watts ex-Coronation Street was excellent .

It takes way too long to get a drink. I miss Azamara here, but it's a first world problem really. Very lucky to be on a most amazing ship. As I said I won't be cancelling any Azamara, but it's quite an experience.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

I wondered about the thread title as well. Maybe Phil was posting from the rock wall or the North Star pod?

I was worried Phil would say he's scared he may not go back to Azamara after being on the mega ship.

I'm not sure we would enjoy a ship that size, so it will be interesting to read his entire overview.

Have a great time, Phil.

It was a reference to being used to a ship with 700 guests and being on one with nearly 5000. My English humour lost in translation.

Phil

I got the title as soon as iread your first post Phil. i will only see it thru others pictures.. i do not even want to go on my free Ceelbrity cruise for new tier. i had enough with the size on my last S class. the only thing I liked was the cabin.

i sent food back on Azamara so you know what i woyuld do with this food and service

i want lsots of reasons why you took this cruise.

Phil

No problem with the title, an excellent teaser, scared re size like bigger or smaller, scared you prefer it to Azamara etc etc

Look forward to your final analysis, though no robot could EVER beat Dale ;)

Phil

Phil- I had similar misgivings about Oasis; but what I learned was that for these ships, they went beyond just "bigger" and "more passengers" and really truly designed them to accommodate the number of people BETTER than ships half the size. My only worry about those large ones is how very quickly they started retrofitting (ie cramming) new cabins and venues into a beautifully designed ship; I'm sure the designers are crying :(

But there is still nothing like being on a ship with 90, 150, or 200, or even 600 people- it goes places others can't and with far fewer people once you get there! (provided you aren't in port with the giant ships anyway ;))

Phil- I had similar misgivings about Oasis; but what I learned was that for these ships, they went beyond just "bigger" and "more passengers" and really truly designed them to accommodate the number of people BETTER than ships half the size. My only worry about those large ones is how very quickly they started retrofitting (ie cramming) new cabins and venues into a beautifully designed ship; I'm sure the designers are crying :(

But there is still nothing like being on a ship with 90, 150, or 200, or even 600 people- it goes places others can't and with far fewer people once you get there! (provided you aren't in port with the giant ships anyway ;))

Like me, I'm sure you'll be booking the Harmony of the Seas. :cool:

There's room for all kinds of vacations, including land based, small ships, megaships, and even medium sized ships.

Had a great time on the ship and it is quite an amazing place to be. Lots to see and do. It takes a lot of cues from Celebrity and like someone said to me "S-Class on steroids". I've booked a week on Ovation next year. I'll know some of my favourite places to hang out. My heart still belongs to Azamara. It was a very different experience that I'm glad I tried.

John, if you look in it was great to meet you and Paul again, chat and reminisce about that Journey cruise through the Suez. I left my brain in the bar the previous night and have lost your card and email address. If you get a chance could you email me at excitedofharpenden "at" yahoo "dot" co "dot" uk.

Phil