Shore excursions Colombo Sri Lanka

Pedroandme

My husband and I are booked on Azamara Quest arriving in Colombo on Nov 11th 2015.

I was looking at what shore excursion to do and found a very well regarded local company called “Colombo City Walks”.

They said they have been commissioned to do Azamara shore excursions in Colombo.

I have had a look at the shore excursions offered by Azamara and it doesn’t seem that any of them are conducted by “Colombo City Walks”.

Are you able to advise if this is the final list of Land Discoveries that will be offered in Colombo or will more options conducted by “Colombo City Walks “ be added?

Many thanks for your assistance.

My husband and I are booked on Azamara Quest arriving in Colombo on Nov 11th 2015.

I was looking at what shore excursion to do and found a very well regarded local company called “Colombo City Walks”.

They said they have been commissioned to do Azamara shore excursions in Colombo.

I have had a look at the shore excursions offered by Azamara and it doesn’t seem that any of them are conducted by “Colombo City Walks”.

Are you able to advise if this is the final list of Land Discoveries that will be offered in Colombo or will more options conducted by “Colombo City Walks “ be added?

Many thanks for your assistance.

i did a walking tour that was highlights of very old buildings including a working hotel. .then we went to an area of better stores and restaurants called "Dutch Hospital". .They left me there for a wonderful massage and shopping . later in the day i got a ride back with the second group.. i had a wonderful crab dinner at the Ministry of Crab there. Must have rezie's to get in.. all about 10 minutes from the ship.. i only missed a museum I wanted to see. you should look under the Ports of Call boards too.

Hi Pedro

We went there last year on the Journey and did the Kandy Tour on the train which was a great experience.

If that's still on the Land Discoveries we can highly recommend it.

Hi Pedro

We went there last year on the Journey and did the Kandy Tour on the train which was a great experience.

If that's still on the Land Discoveries we can highly recommend it.

I have to agree. Given how unreliable Sri Lankan trains are this is not a trip to DIY with local guides. It was the highlight of our cruise and I did not really feel part of a large group on it

Hi Bonnie, Did you find out anything for me about the Colombo City Walks shore excursions?

Many thanks, Karen

Hi Pedro&me, at your suggestion our tour planning group is investigating the possibility of such a walking tour. It is not a fast process but I will let you know if/when I hear anything. Please be patient, but feel free to send me the occasional reminder :)

As this was offered twice on the Quest this March i am now wondering if it was part of hte many add on tours after you arrive on the ship.. Errol- ship tour manager told me it was great and it was.. maybe shore side does not know as it will be a surprise when you get on the ship.. this winter we had about 10 add on's after I boarded for 2 months. mark takes great care of you.. do pre book the restaurant.

Hi Robin, Thanks for your reply. So you think that even though it is not offered as one of our shore excursion choices on the Land Discoveries brochure it may well be added as an option once we are on the ship. If that's the case it would suggest it is better not to book any land discoveries at all in advance of sailing. I thought there was some need to lock in our choices of shore excursions ahead of time. Do you pre book yours or wait till your onboard? regards, Karen

Hi Robin, Thanks for your reply. So you think that even though it is not offered as one of our shore excursion choices on the Land Discoveries brochure it may well be added as an option once we are on the ship. If that's the case it would suggest it is better not to book any land discoveries at all in advance of sailing. I thought there was some need to lock in our choices of shore excursions ahead of time. Do you pre book yours or wait till your onboard? regards, Karen

I would preebook you risk not getting the trip of your choice if you don't

If other trips were available onboard I am sure that you would be able to make changes

That said whilst Robyn is reporting additional offerings on board, never had that on any Azamara trip I've been on. Maybe it varies in different parts of the world

Thank yo for spelling my name correctly. i was on 5 cruises this winter and almost everyone Errol had extra tours. . When you got the ship the list was in the cabin and the new tour ones said new tour. several times they either had new tour flyers or ones that were not selling well flyers.

In some cases they were not selling due to price. i had 2 or 3 cancel for tat reason and also switch on board to a new tour that I found more interesting than i had pre booked.

I do agree with Ann that tours can sell out.and have .I notice that more in Europe than Asia. But a few had 3 to 5 buses as it was a highlight of a major city. Not one tour i took was shut down for that this past winter- they only added buses.

I find it is easier to pre book and cancel as then i have instant ship boards credit for the spa or another tour..i only pre book to not have to stand in line and only the first day the lines are really bad.

A word of caution when visiting Sri Lanka and Columbo. There are at least 24 public/national holidays celebrated, which they take very seriously and you will be really hard pressed to find anything open - or to get anyone to privately do a tour with you.

When visiting Columbo 2 years ago with Azamara, we were there on April 25th which was a public holiday for the full moon. We had wanted to do 'High Tea' at the beautiful and famous Galle Face Hotel, and then visit the Ministry of Crab Restaurant on our second day there, after looking around with a tour guide the day before. One of the rules for a public holiday is no alcohol is allowed to be served on the day, so our High Tea with Champagne and a G&T, watching the sun go down was reduced to a High Tea with endless cups of tea. It was delicious and a lovely afternoon, shared with 2 wonderful people (g'day Derby St :p) but a cold drink would've topped it off beautifully!! The restaurant - which was the ONLY thing my hubby wanted to do - was closed. (I envy Ellbon being lucky enough to visit:)) So disappointing. There were a couple of tourist shops open, (Barefoot, which is great) but basically Columbo closed down.

I should have done better research. You can get a list on the web as to when the holidays are. This may help you with any decisions, or at least if planning to do a private tour, to ask the question. This of course doesn't affect the ships tours.

Have an awesome and fabulous cruise :D

Edited by wangeling gal

They never filled up all up all the tables but there was a sign near the door saying they were full. guess they do not want to overwhelm the kitchen.

i also enjoyed the spa and massage there which is open at night.. loved my day there.

They never filled up all up all the tables but there was a sign near the door saying they were full. guess they do not want to overwhelm the kitchen.

i also enjoyed the spa and massage there which is open at night.. loved my day there.

Sounds fabulous! Lucky you!! :D