Dubai new year cruise with a teenager???

stefanny28

Hi;

This will be our first cruise in the Middle East region. My husband has always dreamed of visiting Dubai and our daughter loves cruises so I thought I should combine the 2.

We plan to book a RCL 7 days cruise from Dubai right afetr New Year. I have not done much research yet but I do have some questions:

1/ Do we need any special visa to visit Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Oman etc... (we are Canadians)?

2/ what is the weather like in January?

3/ Dress code in this region? Conservative? No summer dresses or shorts?

4/ Will there be any teens on the ship for my DD to hang out with? I know this is not a popular itinerary for families with kids or teens but if it is during the Holidays Seasons (do they celebrate X-Mas in Dubai? even if it is a muslim country?) are the kids out of school in this area?

Sorry to ask these stupid questions. I really have NO idea or info about Dubai yet. I will have to do some research and reading about the area and ports.

Thanks

Hi;

This will be our first cruise in the Middle East region. My husband has always dreamed of visiting Dubai and our daughter loves cruises so I thought I should combine the 2.

We plan to book a RCL 7 days cruise from Dubai right afetr New Year. I have not done much research yet but I do have some questions:

1/ Do we need any special visa to visit Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Oman etc... (we are Canadians)?

4/ Will there be any teens on the ship for my DD to hang out with? I know this is not a popular itinerary for families with kids or teens but if it is during the Holidays Seasons (do they celebrate X-Mas in Dubai? even if it is a muslim country?) are the kids out of school in this area?

Sorry to ask these stupid questions. I really have NO idea or info about Dubai yet. I will have to do some research and reading about the area and ports.

Thanks

As Canadians we do not need a visa for Dubai (just returned last week)

dress code is conservatively. Capris are fine, t shirts with small sleeves are fine, dresses that are below you knee is fine.

We had very few children on the Quantum but it was Oct.

Hi;

Thanks

Early January weather is great IMO. Average temps are around 20 C. You should have a fair amount of sunshine

Always best to be respectful so as others have posted capri length pants and ss T-shirts are good. Dubai will be less conservative than the other port stops.

Dubai has a large expat population that celebrates Christmas. The large hotels and malls will have some decorations. NYE in Dubai is BIG! The fireworks are really something to see. If you are planning a few pre-cruise days and it coincides with this time you won't be disappointed. However, you must choose between downtown or the beach area as traffic will be terrible. It is not cheap and you must book early. Winter break for most schools is Dec. 20-Jan 3rd. I did a holiday cruise on Brilliance OTS a few years ago and there didn't seem to be a lot of children/teens but activities were planned for those on board. Enjoy!:)

Edited by lilybob
sp

Can anyone give some suggestion for hotel in Dubai?

We are 3, DD will be 17. Is it more convenient to book 2 rooms?

We plan to come a few days early, the cruise is from Jan 2nd-9th, 2017, which is Sunday to Sunday.

I was thinking of flying out on Tuesday, arriving on Wednesday. This will allow us 3 days to visit dubai. But now I am wondering if most places will be closed for the 31st of December and the 1st of January.

What will be closed on Jan 1st?

Maybe I should move my cruise to the week earlier (Dec 26th-Jan 2nd). The ship will arrive in Dubai on Jan 1st, does it mean I will miss the firework?

Sorry to have so many different questions. It is my first time in the Arbian Gulf and I have to start thinking about the logistics...

Thanks

Can anyone give some suggestion for hotel in Dubai?

We are 3, DD will be 17. Is it more convenient to book 2 rooms?

We plan to come a few days early, the cruise is from Jan 2nd-9th, 2017, which is Sunday to Sunday.

I was thinking of flying out on Tuesday, arriving on Wednesday. This will allow us 3 days to visit dubai. But now I am wondering if most places will be closed for the 31st of December and the 1st of January.

What will be closed on Jan 1st?

Maybe I should move my cruise to the week earlier (Dec 26th-Jan 2nd). The ship will arrive in Dubai on Jan 1st, does it mean I will miss the firework?

Sorry to have so many different questions. It is my first time in the Arbian Gulf and I have to start thinking about the logistics...

Thanks

Malls and restaurants will be open normal hours. The fireworks will be NYE and they are both downtown (Burj Khalifa) and along the beach around Atlantis and Burj Al Arab (sail shaped hotel) The week-end in the Arabian peninsula is Friday-Saturday and Sunday starts the work week. As most schools everywhere are on break this time of the year, Dubai will be brimming with visitors. January is the month long shopping festival and people come from all over to combine that with their holiday. If you are planning to cruise in 2016 then you still have time to book. What do you want to do while you are in Dubai (beach, sites, shopping etc) and some budget guidelines will help with suggestions. Also, search Dubai on TA as there are many topics frequently asked that are highlighted on the right side of the page that will give you ideas.

Edited by lilybob
add info

Dear Lilybob;

Our cruise is planned and booked for Jan 2nd-Jan 9th 2017.

It is from Monday to Monday. My original plan was flying in from Canada on Wedensday, arriving on Thursday so we could have 1/2 day Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday to visit. We are boarding on Monday.

The ship comes back on Sunday and we overnight in Dubai and get off the ship Monday. I will like to fly back on Monday since I need to get back to work.

We plan to visit the Burj Khalifa, the Burj Al Arab, the Dubai Mall (we have a DD who is 17), the Souk and a Creekside visit.

We don't have a budget yet, it does not mean that we have unlimited fund, it just means that I have not done any research on hotels and excursions yet :-)

Here are the question I have:

If the week starts on Sunday, and if we arrive on Thursday Dec 29th. What is the opening hours of the mall and the tourist's attraction for Friday Dec 30th, Sat Dec 31st and Sun Jan 1st?

Are the malls closed early Dec 31st and all day Jan 1st?

or should I just move the cruise to Dec 26th- Jan 2nd? Then we will fly in on Dec 25th, go on the cruise, the visit Dubai after, from Monday Jan 2nd to Thursday Jan 5th, 2017.

Will there be less a conflict with the Holidays opening schedule?

Thank you for taking time to reply.

Stefanny

Dear Lilybob;

Our cruise is planned and booked for Jan 2nd-Jan 9th 2017.

It is from Monday to Monday. My original plan was flying in from Canada on Wedensday, arriving on Thursday so we could have 1/2 day Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday to visit. We are boarding on Monday.

The ship comes back on Sunday and we overnight in Dubai and get off the ship Monday. I will like to fly back on Monday since I need to get back to work.

We plan to visit the Burj Khalifa, the Burj Al Arab, the Dubai Mall (we have a DD who is 17), the Souk and a Creekside visit.

We don't have a budget yet, it does not mean that we have unlimited fund, it just means that I have not done any research on hotels and excursions yet :-)

Here are the question I have:

If the week starts on Sunday, and if we arrive on Thursday Dec 29th. What is the opening hours of the mall and the tourist's attraction for Friday Dec 30th, Sat Dec 31st and Sun Jan 1st?

Are the malls closed early Dec 31st and all day Jan 1st?

or should I just move the cruise to Dec 26th- Jan 2nd? Then we will fly in on Dec 25th, go on the cruise, the visit Dubai after, from Monday Jan 2nd to Thursday Jan 5th, 2017.

Will there be less a conflict with the Holidays opening schedule?

Thank you for taking time to reply.

Stefanny

Hi Stefanny

Here are my thoughts.....I would keep your booked cruise dates and plan to spend NYE in Dubai as it will be something to remember. Dubai Mall will most likely have extended hours (possibly closing 2am with restaurants even open until 3am.) The two most popular areas to stay are downtown near Dubai Mall and Burj Khalifa or the beach area of Madinat Jumeirah Resort including Burj al Arab. I did some random hotel checks and the Emaar properties (The Address Downtown and Dubai Mall, Al Manzil, Vida, Armani) surrounding Burj Khalifa are quite expensive during the dates you require, $1,000+per night. The Radisson Blu across the street shows no availability.

The Marina area (Hilton, Movenpick etc) is also popular but will be gridlock! The Marina area now has a tram but the completed phase doesn't connect with the metro yet, I believe. There are many shops and restaurants in this area but it is difficult to get in and out of at peak times.

My suggestion is Jumeirah Emirates Towers. It is more the business hotel of the Jumeirah group but will give you easy access to the downtown BK area at a more reasonable price.

https://www.jumeirah.com/en/hotels-resorts/dubai/jumeirah-emirates-towers/?kTckId=150617163715527232&cm_mmc=Google%20PPC-_-MID-AE-Jumeirah%20Emirates%20Towers-GO-%7BJET%7D-%5BRLSA%5BGB_AO%5D-BR-%28EN%29-Exact-_-Jumeirah%20Emirates%20Towers%20Corporate-Exact-GB-EN-_-jumeirah%20emirates%20towers&gclid=CjwKEAjwtYSsBRCDx6rM1v_uqmsSJAAZgf2q4iKZPTIyTBVK10GhIVO7ufA2_H3v3aRDvt_wzmwuLBoCLUrw_wcB

Emirates Towers is part of the same hotel group as Madinat Jumeirah and is about 10 minutes from Burj Khalifa. There is an adjacent metro station that can take you to Dubai Mall in three stops or you can ride it out to Mall of the Emirates with the indoor ski slope. The hotel also offer a complimentary shuttle to the beach area with free tickets to the water park, Wild Wadi. This is about 30 minutes from the downtown area with traffic. When visiting Burj al Arab, be sure to go over to Madinat Jumeirah as it has attractive Arabic architecture, a modern souk and many restaurants. Emirates Towers Hotel is very close to Dubai Mall and Burj Khalifa (10 minutes by car) Rates were around $380 p/n for two but an increase in price for a suite may accommodate your daughter and be less than two rooms. Wifi and breakfast were usually included. The breakfast in most large hotels is quite lavish. Other hotels in this area would be Fairmont, Conrad, Rotana, and Dusit Thani. Hotels near DIFC, Burjman Center, or Wafi Mall would also be easy to get around from.

Other suggestions that would be near the creek are Radisson Blu Deira, Park Regis Kris Kin in Bur Dubai, or hotels on Sheik Zayed Rd ( multi lane main artery in Dubai) near a metro stop as mentioned above. Staying near the creek will be easy to see the souks (textile on Bur Dubai side, Gold and Spice Souk on Deira side.) You can cross the creek on the abra boats for one dirham. Taxis would get you around to the other places you want to see. Taxis are metered, clean, and cheap but will be hard to get on NYE so where you want to celebrate should direct you to the area of the city you want to stay in. The new Opera House will most likely be open by then and that will only add to the popularity of staying downtown......and unfortunately the traffic.

The malls are open regular hours on Friday (10 am) but most places near the creek area will be closed until late in the afternoon. Metro also start running later in the morning on Friday.....but since that is still awhile away, things could change. This would be a good time to go shopping or get ticket for "At the Top" at Burj Khalifa. There is also an A380 simulator located at Dubai Mall for those that tire of shopping. If you are having lunch outside, catch a fountain show at 1:30 and 2pm if you are seated nearby. Fridays are also popular for over the top brunches so that is another possibility.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Dear Lilybob;

These are wonderful suggestions.

After I have read your reply, I went online and did some researches on things we want to see and where we should stay.

You are so right, since one of the main things we want to see is the NYE fireworks, we should definitely saty near that.

Is there also fireworks in the Marina area?

What do you thing about vacation rental? I saw some great 2 bedrooms apartments near the Marina for a very good rate ( since 2017 is still far away, I put it the dates for Dec 2015-Jan 2016 for approximately the same length of stay).

If there is fireworks in the Marina area, we will try to stay there since it is so much sheaper than downtown. The area near the Gold Souk seems great too, but it will be a problem for the NYE fireworks.

I am still recuperating from the shick of how expensive hotels indowntown Dubai can be. I guess we might have to stay 3 days instead of 4. It should be enough if we skip the dunes jumping dinner.

Thanks again for the detailed reply. It gives me an idea on where we should s tay and things we will be visiting.

Thanks

Stefanny

Dear Lilybob;

What do you thing about vacation rental? I saw some great 2 bedrooms apartments near the Marina for a very good rate ( since 2017 is still far away, I put it the dates for Dec 2015-Jan 2016 for approximately the same length of stay).

If there is fireworks in the Marina area, we will try to stay there since it is so much sheaper than downtown. The area near the Gold Souk seems great too, but it will be a problem for the NYE fireworks.

Stefanny

I have not stayed in a vacation rental so can't offer advice. My NYE experience has been downtown but I would think if your hotel had a rooftop restaurant you should be able to see the fireworks from Atlantis. Be sure to look at a map for "near the Marina" as you could be further away from where you want to be most times than you think. The best place to be is somewhere you can walk back to after the fireworks! Check Trip Advisor for opinions as well as there is a ton of information about NYE. You could also splurge one night downtown or at the beach for NYE and then stay further out for the rest of your stay or near the creek. Arabian Courtyard (around $200+ USD p/n) is a good choice as it is across from the Dubai Museum, near the souks and not far from the Sheik Mohammed Center for Cultural Understanding. The Center offers cultural experiences with local Emirati people and walks of the historic Bastakiya area.

http://www.cultures.ae/

If you have an open day (except Friday,) consider going to Abu Dhabi to see the Sheik Zayed Grand Mosque as it is spectacular. It is about 90 minutes from Dubai. Your hotel can arrange it or you can even take a bus to Abu Dhabi from Ibn Batuta Mall in Dubai and then a taxi to the Mosque. Or visit on your port stop in AD.

http://www.szgmc.ae/en/

Edited by lilybob
add info

The ship is scheduled to stop in Abu Dhabi for one day so we should be fine then. Is the Mosque closed on friday for prayers?

It is a great idea to split the stay in 2 hotels. I will check this option.

Any other suggestions for hotels near the Creek/Souk area?

Thanks

The ship is scheduled to stop in Abu Dhabi for one day so we should be fine then. Is the Mosque closed on friday for prayers?

It is a great idea to split the stay in 2 hotels. I will check this option.

Any other suggestions for hotels near the Creek/Souk area?

Thanks

Yes, Friday is the day of prayer so closed to the public until 4:30 pm.

Other hotels.....Park Regis Kris Kin on Sheik Zayed Rd or Radisson Blu Deira but I think I might have already mentioned these. The Radisson Blu Deira is on the creek and has their own traditional dhow boat for dinner cruises. You could walk to the Gold & Spice Souk and metro (10-15 min.) You wouldn't be far from the port or downtown on this side of town either (15 minutes in good traffic) as compared to The Palm, Marina, or al Barsha areas. Dubai also has two airports now so when booking your flight DXB is closer to the port and downtown as well. Happy Planning!