Did I get screwed ?

riekl

There are so many sites on the Web that you can get all types of quotes for any cruise. Just go into the Internet and check out that cruise date and cabin to verify if you have a good price or a rip off.

I constantly check prices on 3 sites to determine the best price. It is so easy.

Just like airline tickets.

However, you do see price changes daily on cruises and flights.

You are incorrect. What the OP states they were charged was "NCCF" of $200pp. NCCF stands for non-commissionable cruise fare and is the portion of the price upon which a TA does not earn commission. It may, or may not, include port fees but it is not ONLY port fees. The OP states he was charged $131pp which NCL defines as "GOV'T TAXES, FEES & PORT EXPENSES".

NCCF is normally not separately disclosed due to the reasons you mentioned about issues years ago. Most TAs today do not break it out as it would appear the OP's TA has done.

By the OP's own admission, they appear to possibly have been trapped on a re-pricing day when the total fare at one point was 1199pp and then changed to 999pp. Or - they have a scam TA who is totally pulling a fast one either by not charging the accurate price at the time of booking or adding on the NCCF to the advertised price contrary to FTC regulation.

The NCCF (otherwise called Port Charges by Travel Agents) on all of NCL's 7 nt. Caribbean sailings increased to $200 per person a few months ago. This amount is NEVER separated from the cruise fare by any reputable travel agent. The gov't taxes and fees for this sailing are $130.61 (~ $131 as stated by the OP). It is my opinion that the IF the OP was caught on a re-pricing day, their travel agent should have done a better job of going to bat for them and getting the reduced rate.

Barring that, I would insist on being upgraded to a cat. MC, which is currently priced at $1199 (inclusive of NCCF), getting the UBP and UDP and paying the gratuities on the pkgs. Since he's already paying $1199.00, it would cost him less than $112.00 per person to have it all !!!!

The NCCF (otherwise called Port Charges by Travel Agents) on all of NCL's 7 nt. Caribbean sailings increased to $200 per person a few months ago

Looks to me the TA is double dipping.

Cruise fare $999* GOV'T TAXES, FEES & PORT EXPENSES $130.61

When I have seen a breakdown the NCCF would have been part of the $999

Looks to me they have added it again.

* the fish has the price change

$ 1,249 2016‑04‑07 2016‑04‑19

$ 1,199 2016‑04‑20 2016‑05‑23

$ 999 2016‑05‑24 2016‑05‑28

The NCCF (otherwise called Port Charges by Travel Agents) on all of NCL's 7 nt. Caribbean sailings increased to $200 per person a few months ago

Looks to me the TA is double dipping.

Cruise fare $999* GOV'T TAXES, FEES & PORT EXPENSES $130.61

When I have seen a breakdown the NCCF would have been part of the $999

Looks to me they have added it again.

* the fish has the price change

$ 1,249 2016‑04‑07 2016‑04‑19

$ 1,199 2016‑04‑20 2016‑05‑23

$ 999 2016‑05‑24 2016‑05‑28

So if the OP booked on 5/23, the price was 1199 which is what OP was billed.

The price change to 999 was on 5/24, the day after OP booked.

So if the OP booked on 5/23, the price was 1199 which is what OP was billed.

The price change to 999 was on 5/24, the day after OP booked.

OK got it,

Just a coincidence the price drop was the same as the NCCF of $200

will depend when the fish did it scan runs the price changed between them.

Wonder where the OP saw the $999 on the 23rd

Looks like going for the upgrade to get the perks might be a way forward.

You are incorrect. The Port Chgs for NCL are $200 per person.

To the OP, the $999 should have included the port charge, as NO ONE is supposed to quote a cruise fare that is not inclusive of the port charges (there was a BIG law suit many years ago that changed the way cruise fares are quoted). Since you technically paid $1,199 (not including gov't taxes) for the booking, see what is available for that price on your sailing and ask to be upgraded to that category.

You are incorrect. Just checked my booking for Escape and it is 124.00 gov.tax/port exp./fees per person.

So the Port charges for NCL are NOT 200.00.

Whether booking through TA or NCL you should have an itemized statement. if not ask!

You are incorrect. Just checked my booking for Escape and it is 124.00 gov.tax/port exp./fees per person.

So the Port charges for NCL are NOT 200.00.

Whether booking through TA or NCL you should have an itemized statement. if not ask!

I am not incorrect. The $124 is the fee for the gov't tax, NOT THE PORT FEES !!! The port fees (aka NCCF) are $200.00 per person for a 7 nt. voyage on NCL and are ALMOST ALWAYS included in the quoted cruise fare, with the gov't tax being a separate line item. You can ask for an itemized confirmation, but you will NEVER get a statement that will show the port charges, port fees, NCCF (whatever you want to call them) separated from the cruise fare, as that was a bone of contention MANY YEARS AGO and cruise lines were forbidden from quoting a cruise fare that didn't include them. The gov't taxes are a different matter.

Edited by jakesnana

Out of curiosity, what sites do you use for price checking?

There are so many sites on the Web that you can get all types of quotes for any cruise. Just go into the Internet and check out that cruise date and cabin to verify if you have a good price or a rip off.

I constantly check prices on 3 sites to determine the best price. It is so easy.

Just like airline tickets.

However, you do see price changes daily on cruises and flights.

I am not incorrect. The $124 is the fee for the gov't tax, NOT THE PORT FEES !!! The port fees (aka NCCF) are $200.00 per person for a 7 nt. voyage on NCL and are ALMOST ALWAYS included in the quoted cruise fare, with the gov't tax being a separate line item. You can ask for an itemized confirmation, but you will NEVER get a statement that will show the port charges, port fees, NCCF (whatever you want to call them) separated from the cruise fare, as that was a bone of contention MANY YEARS AGO and cruise lines were forbidden from quoting a cruise fare that didn't include them. The gov't taxes are a different matter.

It says it right on my NCL confirmation page of what all fees are. So yes I DO HAVE A STATEMENT! I double checked it before I made my previous comment so that I was accurate.

Believe what you want.

To help clarify the $200....

I am going on a CAS comp cruise in Nov.... when I booked the cruise the CAS rep sent me my confirmation and explained the line items:

admin fees: 200 (this used to be called NCCF and is a mandatory charge)

govt tax/port exp/fees: 177.34

insurance: 29

I am also going on a regular booked cruise in May and these are the line items on my confirmation...

admin fees: 1,319.20 (includes the 200)

govt tax/port exp/fees: 179. 51

These are exact words and quotes from my confirmations and shows that the mystery 200 will appear under admin fees. With or without the cruise fare being included (CAS comp will not include a cruise fare since it's comped)...... it will always be charged.

Edited by esm54687