Our Warm Week on the Sun

woodz

We had a great 8 days on the Sun. We went for our 39th Anniversary. The weather was very unseasonably warm and we definitely brought too many warm clothes. Embarkation was a mess, no priority lines and the computers kept going down.

Don't anticipate a refurbishment, the only thing new in our cabin was the mattress. The ship looks ok to me and we loved our balcony.

The food cafe area has a very strange layout. It was chilly on sea days and because of the layout wind blows thru t h e area constantly.

The food was good and we ate breakfasts and lunch in Madero or the Great Outdoors most days. We never had any problem finding something good in the main dining rooms. I scheduled the 4 Seasons for the 1st 4 nights and the 7 Seas the last 4 because we wanted the smoothest water during dinner.

We loved the music on the ship especially the Tuxedo Quartet. The 2 production shows were really good with talented singers and dancers.

Super warm weather, 70-80's in port and no rain until we got home to AZ. Now back to work for us until we find our next adventure.

Embarkation was a mess, no priority lines and the computers kept going down. Where did you embark?

Don't anticipate a refurbishment, the only thing new in our cabin was the mattress. The ship looks ok to me and we loved our balcony. It wasn't in dry dock long enough for anything serious to change. They did say, we were on board before it went into dry dock, that there would be little to see after.

The food cafe area has a very strange layout. It was chilly on sea days and because of the layout wind blows thru t h e area constantly. If you are referring to the Garden Café I would agree. The air conditioning needed servicing!! Too hot or too cold and the shape did nothing to stop the wind when the doors at either end were opened.

The food was good and we ate breakfasts and lunch in Maderno (We ate here sometimes and were pleasantly surprised.)or the Great Outdoors Good for snacks but subject to the weather.most days. We never had any problem finding something good in the main dining rooms. I scheduled the 4 Seasons for the 1st 4 nights and the 7 Seas the last 4 because we wanted the smoothest water during dinner. Being "scruffy" we tended to eat in the 4 Seasons and really enjoyed the food.

QUOTE]

Some comments/thoughts to also help others on the Sun.

But were there any nasty smells aft?

Mike

Embarkation was a mess, no priority lines and the computers kept going down. Where did you embark?

Don't anticipate a refurbishment, the only thing new in our cabin was the mattress. The ship looks ok to me and we loved our balcony. It wasn't in dry dock long enough for anything serious to change. They did say, we were on board before it went into dry dock, that there would be little to see after.

The food cafe area has a very strange layout. It was chilly on sea days and because of the layout wind blows thru t h e area constantly. If you are referring to the Garden Café I would agree. The air conditioning needed servicing!! Too hot or too cold and the shape did nothing to stop the wind when the doors at either end were opened.

The food was good and we ate breakfasts and lunch in Maderno (We ate here sometimes and were pleasantly surprised.)or the Great Outdoors Good for snacks but subject to the weather.most days. We never had any problem finding something good in the main dining rooms. I scheduled the 4 Seasons for the 1st 4 nights and the 7 Seas the last 4 because we wanted the smoothest water during dinner. Being "scruffy" we tended to eat in the 4 Seasons and really enjoyed the food.

QUOTE]

Some comments/thoughts to also help others on the Sun.

But were there any nasty smells aft?

Mike

Mike: I was also on the May 8th sailing on the Sun in aft/port cabin 9072 and the nasty smell was always ripe on port days. The problem seems to come from the vents in the cabins. Reports mostly fell on deaf ears as it's an ongoing problem which NCL can't seem to fix. The front desk sent housekeeping to spray awful smelling baby powder scent to mask the sewage odor.

I slept with my balcony door open the last 4 nights as the weather was unusually warm.

We were offered a bottle of wine and chocolate covered strawberries for our report. Lol

Mike: I was also on the May 8th sailing on the Sun in aft/port cabin 9072 and the nasty smell was always ripe on port days. The problem seems to come from the vents in the cabins. Reports mostly fell on deaf ears as it's an ongoing problem which NCL can't seem to fix. The front desk sent housekeeping to spray awful smelling baby powder scent to mask the sewage odor. It is getting to the stage where NCL is going to have to do something about it!!

I slept with my balcony door open the last 4 nights as the weather was unusually warm.

We were offered a bottle of wine and chocolate covered strawberries for our report. Lol

Weren't you lucky!! Especially if it was the NCLs supposed "Champagne"!! And the strawberries are nothing to write home about either.

We were on deck 8, port aft and we couldn't stay in our cabin on port days because the smell was so terrible. I'm so glad we had nice weather and a balcony to sit on. My husband who had been a general contractor days that it was definitely a leak in the pipes or venting since the ship has a vacuum system. We would open the balcony door and bathroom door and try to get some cross ventilation.

If you have an aft deck 8 suite or room be prepared to hear very loud music from the theater most days. The entertainers practice in the afternoon and one night until 11 pm. It was so loud we knew what songs they were playing.

We embarked in SFO.

Tips:

For great pictures without the plexiglass barriers step outside the lounge, deck 12 forward.

The great outdoors has yummy cookies in the afternoon/evening.

The sports bar is a good place to find a table to eat during breakfast and lunch and it has yummy food after 5:30.

Madero's breakfast area had both a waffle and egg bar and is usually less crowded.

They have a crepe station in the evenings in the garden cafe.

Make reservations before you go for the main dining rooms. We never had to wait and had the take size we wanted.

There are 4 lifts in the Artrium that are usually busy but if you walk a little more forward there is a bank of elevators that are quick and that's how you get to deck 12.

There are 4 aft elevators outside of the Garden Cafe. The one most right as you are facing them is a completely different system independent of the left 3.

Wow! It appears as though we will need to plug our noses as we are going to be aft on Deck 9 for our Panama Canal cruise in October :eek: This is concerning and disappointing reading about these aft smells in various threads. Why can't NCL find the leak and fix it? Sounds like this is an ongoing problem.

Wow! It appears as though we will need to plug our noses as we are going to be aft on Deck 9 for our Panama Canal cruise in October :eek: This is concerning and disappointing reading about these aft smells in various threads. Why can't NCL find the leak and fix it? Sounds like this is an ongoing problem.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if everyone travelling on the Sun in the next few months wrote to/emailed NCL asking for a rebate on their fare due to the small that is constantly reported from people who have travelled on the Sun.

Point out that NCL would be liable for millions in compensation if someone became violently ill in response to the smells. NCL have known about it for a long time and would be clearly in breach of "Health and Safety" laws in New Zealand in that case.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if everyone travelling on the Sun in the next few months wrote to/emailed NCL asking for a rebate on their fare due to the small that is constantly reported from people who have travelled on the Sun.

Point out that NCL would be liable for millions in compensation if someone became violently ill in response to the smells. NCL have known about it for a long time and would be clearly in breach of "Health and Safety" laws in New Zealand in that case.

Absolutely! We are not talking about minor or cosmetic things here like replacing carpeting and mattresses, we are talking about sewage smells that last for hours or days that are so bad that people cannot even stay in their cabins because the odor is so strong! And NCL just offering up a bottle of wine and strawberries for reporting it and having to deal with this major issue? :rolleyes:

Cannot believe the sewage smell still persists, weeks after we first encountered it about a month ago on the Valparaiso-SF repositioning. We were in a Penthouse aft and yes, there were times that the smell was pretty unbearable in the cabin. It was usually even worse in the aft stairs. Guess they haven't been able to figure out the problem on over 30 days....

We embarked in SFO.

Tips:

For great pictures without the plexiglass barriers step outside the lounge, deck 12 forward.

The great outdoors has yummy cookies in the afternoon/evening.

The sports bar is a good place to find a table to eat during breakfast and lunch and it has yummy food after 5:30.

Madero's breakfast area had both a waffle and egg bar and is usually less crowded.

They have a crepe station in the evenings in the garden cafe.

Make reservations before you go for the main dining rooms. We never had to wait and had the take size we wanted.

There are 4 lifts in the Artrium that are usually busy but if you walk a little more forward there is a bank of elevators that are quick and that's how you get to deck 12.

There are 4 aft elevators outside of the Garden Cafe. The one most right as you are facing them is a completely different system independent of the left 3.

Thanks for the tips, Woodz. I've copied them to my notes for our cruise on the Sun in Alaska in August. Hopefully they'll have figured something to do about the odor by then.:rolleyes: (We're in 9014, forward port.)

Another question: What kind of hairdryer was in your balcony cabin? I just read a post in another thread about the old wall-mounted hairdryers, which the cruiser was hoping would be replaced with hand-held ones during the Sun's refurbishing. If they weren't, I'll be packing mine, which ordinarily I wouldn't do.

Thanks in advance.

Linda

So much for thinking the dry dock would result in a cleaner, fresher Sun. We will be onboard in few weeks and have 3 of the wide interior cabins on deck 9 AFT port side (Staterooms 9133, 9134 & 9135). They are considered aft cabins but are closer to mid-ship. How far up the hallway did the sewage smell permeate? I'm taking my parents on their first cruise and this issue is very troubling.

So much for thinking the dry dock would result in a cleaner, fresher Sun. We will be onboard in few weeks and have 3 of the wide interior cabins on deck 9 AFT port side (Staterooms 9133, 9134 & 9135). They are considered aft cabins but are closer to mid-ship. How far up the hallway did the sewage smell permeate? I'm taking my parents on their first cruise and this issue is very troubling.

I was on the May 8-16 Sun sailing, post dry dock. The sewage smell started as soon as I entered the hallway from the aft elevators port side heading to my cabin at 9072. I cannot attest to how the starboard area smelled. I know it was worse on port days. When you report the problem they look at you like you're an alien. Very disappointed in NCL for their apathy in trying to alleviate this awful situation.

Thanks for the tips, Woodz. I've copied them to my notes for our cruise on the Sun in Alaska in August. Hopefully they'll have figured something to do about the odor by then.:rolleyes: (We're in 9014, forward port.)

Another question: What kind of hairdryer was in your balcony cabin? I just read a post in another thread about the old wall-mounted hairdryers, which the cruiser was hoping would be replaced with hand-held ones during the Sun's refurbishing. If they weren't, I'll be packing mine, which ordinarily I wouldn't do.

Thanks in advance.

Old boxy hairdryers remain

9182d38fbe46e4780326228da5a8d00e.jpg

I was in 9072.

Edited by suzycruise

Thanks in advance.

Linda

The really lousy box hair dryers. Bring your own or plan to spend an hour getting your hair damp dry.

We were on the May 16-23 cruise out of Vancouver. Every time we hit the stairway at the aft of the ship, the smell was there on every floor. We had a forward facing penthouse and no smell up our way, but it was disgusting passing through the back!

Thanks in advance.

Linda

We were in a forward facing penthouse and had real hair dryers not the wall mount kind. Worked great and I have long, thick hair.

The really lousy box hair dryers. Bring your own or plan to spend an hour getting your hair damp dry.

I was afraid of that. I'll bring mine. I have short hair and it can air dry, but looks better fluffed up by the dryer.

Is the smell just on the port aft area? We are in 9277 (aft facing back of ship) for our 2017 cruise and wondering if we will notice it too. Thanks

Us too, Jan 2017.

Following