1st NCL Cruise - Epic

kccpa

This will be my 1st NCL Cruise and on the Epic.

Not sure how everything works.

Are there formal nights? Understand that there are not regular formal dining rooms...that scares me since I'm traveling solo and have always asked for a super large table to make friends.

This will be a 7day Spain/Italy/France trip so super port intensive...so how to meet people? Especially for dinner!!!! UGH. That is what my nightmare is. I like to talk to people about their day and excursions.

I have most of my port visits set up with small groups so hopefully can be "adopted" into some groups. I'm a VERY active....Ugh...a newly turned 60YO beautiful lady who likes to travel, just travel dates this year didn't mesh with friends at this point. So I'm going solo and have done so before. So I know the ropes on "regular" ships with "normal" dining. :) And possibly no formal nights to dress up? How can I show off? Hahahaha!!!!

Suggestions, please.

Solo travelers what do you do? I make friends pretty easily. But I found out on my roll call that one member didn't think that they had formal nights.

Have to admit that my luggage weight just went down dramatically. :) But I LIKE to dress up occasionally. That's the prob.

Ok...so if you all could fill me in on what's what...I would appreciate it...as my cruise leaves next MONTH!!

Thanks!!

Kathy

Are there formal nights? Understand that there are not regular formal dining rooms...that scares me since I'm traveling solo and have always asked for a super large table to make friends.

No formal nights. Several nights are "dress up or not". Most nights, folks will dress up in the evening and there are always photographer back drops setup to take pictures. And there are more folks dressed up on the Med cruises (vs. Caribbean).

There are two large main dining rooms, the Manhattan room and Taste. Most folks ask for private tables (vs. large 10-top group tables).

This will be a 7day Spain/Italy/France trip so super port intensive...so how to meet people? Especially for dinner!!!! UGH. That is what my nightmare is. I like to talk to people about their day and excursions.

We have been on the Epic on that itinerary twice. Yes, very port intensive. Taste has more side-by-side tables (and the specialty dining rooms). Most people will engage in conversation.

I have most of my port visits set up with small groups so hopefully can be "adopted" into some groups. I'm a VERY active....Ugh...a newly turned 60YO beautiful lady who likes to travel, just travel dates this year didn't mesh with friends at this point. So I'm going solo and have done so before. So I know the ropes on "regular" ships with "normal" dining. :) And possibly no formal nights to dress up? How can I show off? Hahahaha!!!!

Dress up. Have fun. Engage folks in conversation. Cruisers on NCL are like cruisers on any other line. Most are more than happy to engage in "war stories" and "impress you with their cruise history". The Manhattan Room does have a dress code, so folks there will be dressed just a little bit nicer.

We have always enjoyed the Epic (sailed on her 5 times). Have Fun!

Edited by BirdTravels

They had solo meet and greets on getaway...maybe they will on Epic. It does seem like it would be harder to meet people on NCL with no set dining.

Yes, they have daily solo meet ups on every NCL ship. They are a great way to meet people if you are on your own. Usually the NCL rep arranges for solos to go to shows or meals together. In my experience (admittedly on itineraries with lots of solos), it is hard not to make new friends.

Also, I have always found it is easy whilst onboard to strike up conversations in the bars. We've made some good friends like that.

To the original poster, just avoid the mistake that many people in your position make, which is to spend their time moaning to fellow passengers about the lack of set dining etc. If you will do that then you will probably find that most people agree with you (just because they really aren't interested and that is the course of least resistance), and then suddenly remember something important they are supposed to be doing somewhere else.

Edited by KeithJenner

Are there any nights when any of the main restaurants require a chap to wear a jacket of any sort?

I've just done my packing (we leave for Heathrow today) and I haven't bothered packing a jacket as I thought NCL was all about casual. However, I'm now getting second thoughts on this and I'm concerned that there may be 1 (or more) night where I can't go to a particular restaurant.

Cheers

Phew! Thanks Keith. Mild panic attack there. My wife would crucify me if we couldn't go to a particular restaurant one night because I had said that I didn't want to pack a jacket as it was unecessary.

Getting close now!

Certainly is. We're officially on holiday now. A day at Thorpe Park today and then off to Barcelona tomorrow. :)

Well, I'm unofficially on holiday! Just finishing off a few projects and actively avoiding starting any new ones!

Finishing at 3 this afternoon, get home, load the car, get changed and straight to Heathrow (Travelodge - only the best for my family!!).

I assume you are traveling solo in one of the Studio cabins.

If so, they do have a coordinator, and sign up sheet prominently posted in the Studio Lounge to team people up who are looking for dinner companions or excursion companions, or even people interested in cards or games etc. It is very easy to strike up a conversation there.

I find that on my recent NCL cruises, the dining room hostess do not seem to ask any more if you wish to be seated with others, so you would need to actually make the request with the hostess.

It is very port intensive...and many people are bushed after an all day tour.

You may find new friends who are looking to add people to their "private" tours that they arranged. I found that to be much cheaper and less stressful. and splitting the cost across everyone, usually makes it less expensive than the ship tours.

Did the Epic 3 times already and I travelled alone.

I had a Studio cabin and every evening there was a "get together" and Dinner plans where made.

I never had to eat alone.

I met a lot of nice People I'm still in contact with.

You will enjoy your time

I've gone solo on the Epic several times. As has been mentioned, if you're in a solo studio cabin, you'll have no problems meeting and doing things with people because most of the other cruisers will be traveling alone like you.

If you're not in a studio, the door to the solo lounge will be open to any solos for an hour or so each evening and you can attend the gathering there for dinner and social event planning. As I recall, the solo gathering us usually at 5 or 530, but you can find out by checking in the Daily.

The only reason to do things alone on the Epic is because you prefer it that way.

Hope that helps.

Larry

This will be my 1st NCL Cruise and on the Epic.

Not sure how everything works.

Suggestions, please.

Solo travelers what do you do? I make friends pretty easily. But I found out on my roll call that one member didn't think that they had formal nights.

Have to admit that my luggage weight just went down dramatically. :) But I LIKE to dress up occasionally. That's the prob.

Ok...so if you all could fill me in on what's what...I would appreciate it...as my cruise leaves next MONTH!!

Thanks!!

Kathy

I assume you are traveling solo in one of the Studio cabins.

If so, they do have a coordinator, and sign up sheet prominently posted in the Studio Lounge to team people up who are looking for dinner companions or excursion companions, or even people interested in cards or games etc. It is very easy to strike up a conversation there.

I find that on my recent NCL cruises, the dining room hostess do not seem to ask any more if you wish to be seated with others, so you would need to actually make the request with the hostess.

It is very port intensive...and many people are bushed after an all day tour.

You may find new friends who are looking to add people to their "private" tours that they arranged. I found that to be much cheaper and less stressful. and splitting the cost across everyone, usually makes it less expensive than the ship tours.

No, I'm not traveling in a solo cabin...I got a great price on a balcony. So I'm going to have plenty of room to spread out. :)

I have already booked most of my tours with private people so have split the costs to a reasonable rate and am not one of a herd of people.

I'll look for that sign up sheet for solo's looking for dinner partners. That sounds like a great idea. And/or let the hostess do what she can if I arrive to the dinning room late after an excursion.

Thanks so much for all your suggestions!

Kathy