First Trip with QM2

Lochayman

Hi Folks

We are taking a round-trip transatlantic crossing to New York on QM2.This "special" trip is to celebrate my wife's 70th birthday. We are not new to cruising but have been loyal P&O customers. This trip leaves Southampton on 14th June.

Normally, in our case, we have carried on a thread with passengers travelling on the same trip and as a consequence have made good friends before our travel.

Is this a thing others would be interested in?

Having spent three weeks in New York a few years ago we have done all the tourist spots. All we want to visit is Ground Zero.

Can we get there easily there and back from the ship as the NY Tour of New York provided by Cunard does not visit Ground Zero?

Edited by Lochayman

Hi Folks

We are taking a round-trip transatlantic crossing to New York on QM2.This "special" trip is to celebrate my wife's 70th birthday. We are not new to cruising but have been loyal P&O customers. This trip leaves Southampton on 14th June.

Normally, in our case, we have carried on a thread with passengers travelling on the same trip and as a consequence have made good friends before our travel.

Is this a thing others would be interested in?

Having spent three weeks in New York a few years ago we have done all the tourist spots. All we want to visit is Ground Zero.

Can we get there easily there and back from the ship as the NY Tour of New York provided by Cunard does not visit Ground Zero?

There will probably be a roll call thread for your trip which you can find here http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=599#

Regarding your question about getting into and from NYC, I've never had a problem but others are manic about the cabs breaking down or not knowing where the Red Hook terminal is. In my experience it is wise to take a map of Red Hook with you in case the cab driver doesn't know the way and leave in plenty of time to get back.

Edited by capnpugwash

Regarding your question about getting into and from NYC, I've never had a problem but others are manic about the cabs breaking down or not knowing where the Red Hook terminal is. In my experience it is wise to take a map of Red Hook with you in case the cab driver doesn't know the way and leave in plenty of time to get back.

Yes, on our QM2 TA in November 2013 our taxi driver from Manhattan had never heard of the terminal. Fortunately, once he obtained directions from his phone, he had no problem navigating us there (although after clearing the main entrance we had to instruct him to head for the "big ship dead ahead!" as he was rather confused). So Lochayman, you will be fine in a taxi once they know where they are going.

Alternatively you could try the water taxi, from memory it stops quite near the terminal and there are two stops almost directly opposite in Manhattan near the WTC - the one on the western side facing Liberty Island is certainly closest (perhaps a 10 min walk).

Yes, on our QM2 TA in November 2013 our taxi driver from Manhattan had never heard of the terminal. Fortunately, once he obtained directions from his phone, he had no problem navigating us there (although after clearing the main entrance we had to instruct him to head for the "big ship dead ahead!" as he was rather confused). So Lochayman, you will be fine in a taxi once they know where they are going.

Alternatively you could try the water taxi, from memory it stops quite near the terminal and there are two stops almost directly opposite in Manhattan near the WTC - the one on the western side facing Liberty Island is certainly closest (perhaps a 10 min walk).

I believe QM2 runs bus tours for intransit passengers and I believe they do visit the new World Trade Center 1 (ground zero). But be sure they STOP there, and not just pass by!

Taxis in NY are now much more used to the Cruise Terminal at Red Hook.

The Water Taxi is an interesting idea, but please keep schedules in mind.