Live from the 2015 QE World Voyage

Scrapnana

Hi Lady49monet, Seems ages since we had my party on QE at the start of the world cruise. Pleased you had such a good time. I was very near our old school three weeks ago. I had to make a flying visit to here. :)

Guess what the sun was shining as well. :)

bradford%20020_zpso69kpuxg.jpg

Yes it is beginning to look ok in Bradford after years of neglect. It does seem an age since we enjoyed your party. We had a wonderful time in both New Zealand and Australia.

Welcome back John and Andrea. We have been back a few weeks now. Phil had the horrible cough ended up at the GP and prescribed antibiotics. We had a wonderful time and enjoyed our balcony cocktail parties[emoji6]

Seems like ages ago now ? Our last two suitcases were safely delivered back to us this morning by the Baggage Handling Company, so the pile of washing has increased somewhat.

My cough has subsided greatly now we are away from the air conditioning and hope that the residual tickle stops soon. Weather has not been too much of a shock, but still have post and emails to get through.

We haven't had any thoughts about next year as yet, so nothing planned.

In resting mode !

John

Still working our way home (5 more days in Iceland :). Do you still find yourself tracking our floating home. I check the bridge cam and tracking now and then. I don't know if we'll ever do a world voyage again, buy I think this one will be a part of us for some time. It IS really different to be with a lot of the same people for three or four months. We'll miss you and may yet see you all on another voyage (I'm also going to go back and read Janix' live repors to see if he went on the same cruise we did ha ha). It was fun.

We'll miss you and may yet see you all on another voyage (I'm also going to go back and read Janix' live repors to see if he went on the same cruise we did ha ha). It was fun.

Hi Karen,

You did and I remember it well :cool: Hope you enjoyed Iceland, we were there a couple of years ago and really enjoyed the place, although the temps were a little less than we were used to ?

I will always remember Stan as the Elizabethan gentleman :D

Have a safe trip home, and hope to bump into you all again sometime.

John

Memories ?

J2aecac3d6b1724b14ec9e9f95a96cef3.jpg

4b403d9c450b4fb7c3fda953206ea813.jpg

58d041c258a75969246ba33b58be8547.jpg

You know who you are !

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We sure do know who we are. Great memories. Let's hope we can all meet up again somewhere!

Great memories! Miss everyone and hope to meet again!:) Thanks for posting the pictures John!

Hi Barbara - it already seems so long ago and we haven't even be off the ship for a week, yet. Thanks for all your work with the Roll Call - it's a big job for a cruise like this one. If we ever head your way again, we'll be in touch :).

Hi Barbara - it already seems so long ago and we haven't even be off the ship for a week, yet. Thanks for all your work with the Roll Call - it's a big job for a cruise like this one. If we ever head your way again, we'll be in touch :).

Hi Karen! Thanks for all of your help too! How was Iceland? Are you home yet? I hope we can meet again in the future.

Thanks for your interesting blog for Mumbai. It sounds like Pranav was a great choice. He did a wonderful job being flexible and accommodating, while being professional as well. I am so glad it worked out for you all. I will remember him for future reference. I think it was interesting that you describe the experience as you did because after reading a lot of people's thoughts on India, I feel that other people have unrealistic expectations and then feel disappointed.

I agree with you in that Cunard should make India and China more worthwhile, like increasing the time and days, especially with all the hassle you have to go through to get those visas. We have never had to go through the process for India but the Chinese visa was a bit scary as the lady tried to tell us that we could NOT get a visa before the 3 month "cutoff". It all worked out though.

Didn't Karen and Stan go with you on this tour? I hope they had a good time too and if you see them please say hi from us.

We got home last night, so catching up on the "Live" blog. We actually did a different tour in Mumbai - "Reality Travel and Tours". While we didn't see everythng that Pranav's tour did, we had the morning with just us and our guide (who grew up in and around the laundry). We visited the recycling center in the slum and wandered the neighborhood, seeing schools and the community center that is supported by the tours (80% of tour price goes to the charity). Our guide is definitely well known and a favorite of the kids, so a very personal look at Mumbai. I would highly recommend this tour.

Thanks John for you wonderful blog and I appreciate you taking the time to fill us in on your experiences.

I am glad the M&G have done well and I appreciate your thanks! As most of you may know it was my first time organizing and "heading" the M&G (while I was onboard). I know it wasn't as nice as you may have attended in the past but I appreciate everyone who attended and supported me in the cause!!! A big thanks to Karen for taking over when I left too.

I am looking forward to hearing about Salalah! Oh I did have another question and it is regarding Abu Dhabi. When you discussed that some of the women on the coaches were "rejected", some of whom were wearing white pants, why were the others "rejected and did any women get thru? I mean, was it because of the dress code; i.e., elbow or ankles, etc. showing. I know you said they gave no explanation, but was wondering if they ever heard?

Re: Abu Dhabi mosque issues. Mostly it seemed to be "see through" clothes that were rejected, since everyone was careful to have long sleeves and pants. White clothes were a very specific target since they were not total opaque, but other colors, too. I wore a long, dark blue full skirt, but the fabric could show my legs in bright sunshine, so I was a rejected one. From what we heard, individual visitors were not so closely scrutinized and were allowed inside. The bus visitors had a different level of inspection and instant rejection. Mostly we felt that the ship information wasn't sufficiently explicit or worded strongly enough (really only talked about long sleeves and pants/skirts) - you really needed to be covered head to toe in black or very dark clothes.

Welcome to another late response, this time about Petra. We actually did a private tour (cost a bit more than Cunard since 6 people who had committed to it cancelled (4 cancelled that last week). Fortunately, our tour company (Via Jordan, based in Aqaba), will do the tour for two. Unfortunately, my emails with the lower numbers did not reach them (ship internet or satellite issues) so they came with van expecting 8). They were very gracious, just charging the two person tour price as listed on their website. Our guide was born and raised in Wadi Musa and had a degree in Nabatean culture. In the long run, we were quite glad to be on our own. Our guide arranged for a return ride in a horse cart (the driver went slow when I asked - a bit bouncy but not dangerous). We walked down with a detail commentary as far as the amphitheater, then met our reserved cart right on time for a ride to the top.

Several people did not go to Petra based on the port excursion advice and//or rumours of difficulty. Obviously, you have to be prepared with head cover and water, but the was one person with a walker doing ok. The walk is not really very long at all and since we did a private tour, we were at the treasury before the tour buses got to Petra. The day was not excessively hot, but we had an early advantage also. Since we had such a late departure, there was no concern of missing the ship. Jordan is very safe with a good road system - a perfect day for a private tour.

The home laundry is in full swing (thanks to my early bird husband :). Just finishing breakfast that I had to make myself (I did enjoy the smoothies at breakfast, though I doctored with extra yogurt).

This was our first World Cruise and it's great to have done such a wonderful trip with you. It may well be a once-in-a-lifetime trip for us, though we may meet up with some of you here and there as we continue traveling the world at least partly by ship. I do think we had a high expectation of Cunard and while we didn't have a lot of complaints, we did not find it to really be that much of a step above other quality cruise lines. We enjoyed the more formal look overall even if some folks ignored the rules (I do think it's unfortunate that at least the dining room isn't strict). We really enjoyed the shows - the ship's cast shows were quite good and music around the ship was great. We were, however, quite disappointed with the Port Presentations and information from that desk - really uninformed, outdated and canned information in general - which is no different from other lines - we'd hoped for better.

Overall a good trip. We'll continue to finish our blogs. I hope some of you will read and enjoy Stan's photo blogs that are included with my ramblings - his stuff is well worth looking at. The address for the blog is in my signature line.

Karen and Stan

Re: Abu Dhabi mosque issues. Mostly it seemed to be "see through" clothes that were rejected, since everyone was careful to have long sleeves and pants. White clothes were a very specific target since they were not total opaque, but other colors, too. I wore a long, dark blue full skirt, but the fabric could show my legs in bright sunshine, so I was a rejected one. From what we heard, individual visitors were not so closely scrutinized and were allowed inside. The bus visitors had a different level of inspection and instant rejection. Mostly we felt that the ship information wasn't sufficiently explicit or worded strongly enough (really only talked about long sleeves and pants/skirts) - you really needed to be covered head to toe in black or very dark clothes.

We were at the mosque, had no issues at all and I was wearing white trousers. I was in a dark blue jacket though that comes to the top of my thighs and is also long sleeved and high necked. (It's actually the jacket from my evening trouser suit). Whenever we are going to the UAE or any Muslim country I always take it and have never had any problems. I do cringe though sometimes when I see what visitors consider demure; long sleeves may technically be right but they shouldn't be on a top that shows cleavage or has bare shoulders. The guard on the way in was signalling people left or right, left was acceptable and right had to go and borrow the covering garments provided by the mosque

We were at the mosque, had no issues at all and I was wearing white trousers. I was in a dark blue jacket though that comes to the top of my thighs and is also long sleeved and high necked. (It's actually the jacket from my evening trouser suit). Whenever we are going to the UAE or any Muslim country I always take it and have never had any problems. I do cringe though sometimes when I see what visitors consider demure; long sleeves may technically be right but they shouldn't be on a top that shows cleavage or has bare shoulders. The guard on the way in was signalling people left or right, left was acceptable and right had to go and borrow the covering garments provided by the mosque

Those of us (at least on several of the buses) on the buses were not offered the coverings. We never got that far - we got off the bus and were told to get back on - that was that. I think they have every right to determine what is appropriate - it was the only thing I was planning to see the day, so very disappointed when I felt that I had chosen carefully. It was quite arbitrary, with no questioning - that part is not Cunard's fault and they did give us dress code information - the requirements were just considerably stricter than the information we were given by Cunard.

• 2 weeks later...
Great memories! Miss everyone and hope to meet again!:) Thanks for posting the pictures John!

Hi Barbara,

Just a quick update, we will hopefully be on Queen Victoria next year, enjoying the Hong Kong to Southampton sector across the Indian Ocean to South Africa. Mostly new ports for us, and we do enjoy Hong Kong, so a few days rest after the flight there first.

Anybody else ?

John

Hi Barbara,

Just a quick update, we will hopefully be on Queen Victoria next year, enjoying the Hong Kong to Southampton sector across the Indian Ocean to South Africa. Mostly new ports for us, and we do enjoy Hong Kong, so a few days rest after the flight there first.

Anybody else ?

John

John, there is a roll call for the 2016 QV world cruise and segments. Only a few of us are posting at the moment but I'm sure there will be more. It will be fun to meet you after reading your reports of the last two years on QE.

We chose this ship for a world cruise as there are no visas needed - - a relief after doing them for China and India several times. Like you, we are happy to have some new ports to visit.

Cheers, Patti

Hi Barbara,

Anybody else ?

John

Don't know if it will happen, but I was looking at that - trying to get to Africa by ship (or embark there). I've been reading Carolyn's blog (50th Anniversary), so it's getting my thoughts going.

Not sure I can manage the planning for 2016 though - we'll see.

Karen Hill

Hi Barbara,

Anybody else ?

John

Sounds like a great itinerary but my days of long, long flights I think are over. 6-7 hours is the best I can do and even then I get restless. Are you getting off in South Africa or sailing back to Southampton?

While you are sailing from Hong Kong, I will be flying to San Diego to head out on a South Pacific cruise.

Don't you have a cruise coming up soon?

Kathi

Hi Patti,

Well it was just too tempting, although I did try to resist I wasn't strong enough, the itinerary just fits so nicely with what we haven't done in the past.

I will soon be visiting the 2016 roll call to meet up with you [emoji16]

John

Edited by Janix

Hi Karen,

Well it all happened so quickly, I hadn't looked at anything at all, but last weekend we were talking to some friends and I showed them what was available on the net. I was trying to resist but all of a sudden I saw this cruise and after watching the Liverpool celebrations live, I gave in and made enquiries yesterday.

Who says the 175 event wasn't good marketing ?

John

Hi Kathi,

The flights to us are always the greatest problem, hence doing the whole trip this year [emoji49]

However it is only one way and we have a couple of days rest before we join the ship. It would be a long trip to Hong Kong for you though, and flying has become such a pain.

Your trip also sounds great, I could always trek around the South Pacific again and again !

John

Edited by Janix

• 3 months later...
Thanks Kathy for your good wishes. There is something wrong with my life today as have had to cook my own breakfast and make my own bed. After 61 nights on Queen Elizabeth, I miss her.

Sorry I didn't post much due to internet time etc. I know that John and Andrea were posting regularly and I really didn't have much more to add. Used to meet up with J & A and caught up with all the news.

I had an amazing trip and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. I cannot understand all these people that moan and complain. Not everything is always perfect and you have to understand that.

Must now look at the brochures and think about booking another one.

Hi Pat, thinking of you this morning as I read the story of the BA flight in Las Vegas that had to evacuate on the runway. The crew did a great job getting that plane safely emptied. We enjoyed the stories you shared during our voyage together and am reminded of you when I see BA in the news, or at yet another airport as we head off on another adventure. Hope you are well.

Karen

Hi Pat, thinking of you this morning as I read the story of the BA flight in Las Vegas that had to evacuate on the runway. The crew did a great job getting that plane safely emptied. We enjoyed the stories you shared during our voyage together and am reminded of you when I see BA in the news, or at yet another airport as we head off on another adventure. Hope you are well.

Karen

Hi Karen. Thank you so much for thinking of me. I know the Captain of the aircraft very well. I am so proud of all of them. One thing I would say is, that BA training is second to none. It is drilled in to us and when things do go wrong your training kicks in and you go in to automatic mode and do what is required.

I am just so cross with those passengers who took their hand luggage off with them. Somebody else's life could have been jeopardised by these selfish people. Think they should be banned from flying with BA for life.

Hope all is well with you. Dreamflight takes off in just over a month. So there are 192 excited sick and disabled children out there waiting for their ten day trip to Orlando.

Love Pat xxx

Hi Karen. Thank you so much for thinking of me. I know the Captain of the aircraft very well. I am so proud of all of them. One thing I would say is, that BA training is second to none. It is drilled in to us and when things do go wrong your training kicks in and you go in to automatic mode and do what is required.

I am just so cross with those passengers who took their hand luggage off with them. Somebody else's life could have been jeopardised by these selfish people. Think they should be banned from flying with BA for life.

Hope all is well with you. Dreamflight takes off in just over a month. So there are 192 excited sick and disabled children out there waiting for their ten day trip to Orlando.

Love Pat xxx

Hi, Pat!

I, too, was thinking about you. When the news said the pilot had 42 years of service, I wondered if your paths had crossed. What a way for him to end his career!

I know all the Dreamflight kids are going to have an amazing time. Hope all goes smoothly!

Kathi