How does Princess Compare to Cunard?

Classiccruiser777

We are long time, satisfied Cunard customers but a Princess itinerary has caught our eye. For those who have sailed both in the past few years, how would you compare and contrast the two lines? Thank you!

I've exclusively sailed Cunard and Princess. I like both, but I like Cunard more. For me, Princess doesn't offer as broad a range of daytime activities. I love the insights programme on the Queens. Princess used to have a scholarship@sea programme, but it's been significantly watered down in recent years. Unless there is a major natural or man made attraction (think Fjords or Panama Canal) there won't be much in the way of guest speakers.

The food on Cunard is ultimately better quality in my view, but I like the range of easy eats on Princess. Their grill, icecream stall and pizzeria on the pool decks are very good. If you are used to the Grills on Cunard, Princess doesn't offer much of a comparative experience. The Steakhouse ($20 cover charge) on Princess is well worth the cover charge. But it still doesn't beat the Verandah on QE.

Evening entertainment is done well by both lines. However, I found the comedians on Cunard ships to be more to my taste than on Princess. Both put on excellent shows. I do like some of the Princess game shows though, whereas Cunard really only offers trivia. Bingo is more civilised on Cunard - no chicken dance if you accidentally call out 'bingo'.

Shore excursions tend to be more varied on Cunard than on Princess. I've only sailed in local Australian waters and NZ with Princess (which they do well), but the variety of outings isn't there in my view. It tends to be more nature / outdoors focused (which they do well), while Cunard has a lot of great cultural excursions on their tours. That said, I realise Australia and NZ don't have the cultural attractions of say other parts of the world.

Cabins are nicer on Cunard ships and more spacious. I like the decor on the Queens. There is also more space on Cumard ships. The Gem class Princess ships like the Diamond (I've only sailed on her and the Dawn out of the Princess fleet) are far more spacious than the later Grand class ships where an extra passenger deck was added. A lot of US Princess cruisers complain about crowding on those. I understand some of the smaller ships like the Island are about to have extra decks and cabins installed during upcoming refits.

You'll find the Princess passenger crowd to be less well heeled and less educated than passengers that generally travel Cunard. That isn't a criticism of Princess passengers, just an observation. That said, I've found people on all my cruises to be quite lovely (with a few hilariously bad exceptions).

So, as I said before I like both lines but I like Cunard more. I'd consider Princess a 4 star cruise line and Cunard a 4.5-5 star cruise line (depending if you are Britannia or Grills).

I'm curious - what's the Princess itinerary you are considering?

We have cruised on Princess (25 cruises) Cunard (2 - Queen Victoria, booked on OM2 this coming Sept), plus 7 other lines.

Of all the lines I would say our Cunard experience on the Queen Victoria was outstanding in every way, food, service and entertainment. We generally do tours in port on our own, so can't compare that service.

We enjoy the more traditional cruise experience which is what Cunard delivers very well.

We usually book a mini suite on Princess, on Cunard we book a balcony cabin and enjoy the MDR. We did find room service on Cunard and Princess especially for breakfast very enjoyable.

We have cruised on the Grand, Star, Sapphire, Ruby, Golden, Pacific, Dawn, Sea Princess ships. You did not mention what ship you are considering.

We have cruised Princess to Alaska, Mexico, the Carribean, the Mediterranean, the Baltics and have done both west and east bond Transatlantics.

Agree with above comments; among the more mainstream lines I find Princess the most similar to Cunard, though fans of HAL could easily make their own convincing argument. Of course this is comparing a Britannia stateroom to an equivalent; comparing the Grills to even the best suites on Princess is a non-starter, Princess' list of suite perks being shorter than most.

On sea days Princess tends to leave you to your own devices rather than provide the thorough programme of Cunard; if one is content with trivia and other games, watching vintage movies and concerts on the big outdoor screen, or simply lying out in the sun then Princess is for you. On my last Princess cruise in November I noticed there were 'learn to use your smart phone and/or tablet' classes offered but they conflicted either with port times or afternoon tea. As for that tea: the best I've had at sea other than Cunard, white glove service on fine china in the dining room, with no pretense that the whipped sugar-and-chemical concoction is actually clotted cream.

And just as I felt when I boarded QM2 for the first time in 2011, you should feel warmly welcomed and no less privileged on your first Princess cruise than the thousand-days-at-sea Elite member. That is the best recommendation I can give, having regrettably experienced the opposite on RCI and X.

Edited by fishywood

I agree with most of what has already been said. Last year I travelled both on the Emerald Princess and the Ocean Princess and the difference between the two was amazing! I hated the Emerald, it was very crowded and noisey; getting a seat at any time either to watch shows in the evening or deck chairs during the day was nigh on impossible unless you went looking very early! Staff were worked off their feet which understandably made them less approachable. I think the overcrowding was due to an offer on at the time 'third passengers sharing a cabin paid only £99'. The Ocean Princess on the other hand was really lovely, with plenty of space, staff who had time to relax to stop and talk to passengers (rather than the frantic rush of the Emerald) and altogether a far nicer overall experience. After going on the Emerald I vowed 'never again for Princess' but as I had already booked the Ocean Princess I had no choice but to go. In conclusion I would go on the Ocean Princess again anytime, BUT never on the larger gem class ships. :)

We have sailed four times with Cunard and over thirty times with Princess.

The thing we like best about Cunard is the dancing in the Queens Room. DH also loves the fencing lessons.

The thing we like best about Princess is the pizza. :p We both also love Zumba.

We get two military on board credits and stockholder credit on both lines. That's good. On Princess we get a ton of other perks, like free laundry and dry-cleaning, free internet, free mini-bar set-up, priority ship and tender embarkation, free wine tastings, and discounts in the ship stores. On Cunard we get some free internet but that's about it. Even as we increase our status on Cunard, I don't believe the perks get much better.

Other than at the muster drills and some special events, like crossing the equator celebrations, I have never felt crowded on either line. Yes there are times when you need to get to the theater early to get a seat, but that is true on both lines.

Cunard is more elegant than Princess and more people on Cunard dress for dinner, and we like that a lot.

Princess offers anytime dining and we really prefer that to playing Russian Roulette with fixed dining. On Cunard, we always qend up with cool table mates, but it usually takes a table switch or two.

The people on the ships vary greatly depending on the embarkation and disembarkation cities, the length of the cruise, the cost, and the itineraries. I don't think you can make any accurate comparison based on the line as much as the individual cruises. For instance, you are much more likely to see less sophisticated people on Alaska cruises because "everybody" wants to go to Alaska. That said, however, some of the most sophisticated and delightful people we have met were on Alaska cruises. You just can't predict.

They are both great lines and I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to book a cruise on either line, unless Sammy Baker was the Cruise Director. I don't know what's up with that woman, but for some bizarre reason she discourages dancing on her ships. We actually cancelled a 31-day South American cruise when we discovered she was the Cruise Director.

Edited by PunkiC

I've been on one Princess ship; I agree with the comment by another suggesting that you might prefer a mini-suite on Princess since our balcony cabin only had the desk chair and the bed for seating. I prefer the "flow" of the interior layout of the Cunard ships over our Princess experience.

On the other hand, we had much better personal service in the Princess buffet than we've ever had on Cunard.

When we first started cruising, I thought I needed at least a mini-suite. Now I realize it makes absolutely no difference to me whatsoever if I have a mini or a balcony. We once booked an outside cabin with only a window view and I hated not having a balcony. So now I know that as long as I have a balcony which, hopefully, offers me the morning sun most of the time, I am a happy camper on either Cunard or Princess.

Oh, I almost forgot, I love being able to take wine on board at no charge on Cunard. Princess let's you bring as much wine on board as you desire, but they charge a $15.00 corkage fee per each bottle after two, regardless of where you drink it. At the moment, however, I am on a "no wine" diet so that is sort of a moot point. Maybe by the time our next Cunard cruise rolls around in October, I will have lost enough weight that I will let myself drink wine once again.

I have two Princess cruises in May and I am thinking at the moment that they will be wine-free for me.

Well ....

Princess Line = Fun, liveliness , good service , adaptability and general pleasure.

Cunard = Dullness, passengers who tend to act a bit snobby, lectures all about WW1 + WW2, lots of male interest i.e. aeroplane engines, trains, and even ( and this is true ) lectures on pedophiles ! Well that is not my idea of fun or enlightenment.

Go with Princess and enjoy.

Koonard

I can't really help with the differences as I've never travelled on Princess, but I have really enjoyed the Cunard lectures on both WW1/WW2 and talks from the former police detectives.

There were plenty of other women in the audience.

Well ....

Princess Line = Fun, liveliness , good service , adaptability and general pleasure.

Cunard = Dullness, passengers who tend to act a bit snobby, lectures all about WW1 + WW2, lots of male interest i.e. aeroplane engines, trains, and even ( and this is true ) lectures on pedophiles ! Well that is not my idea of fun or enlightenment.

Koonard

We find both ships fun and lively and have met lots of totally delightful people and a few anti-social types on both lines.

After you take a Chair Robics class on the Queen Victoria I will defy you to say that it isn't fun and lively. The class was packed with both me and women of all ages every day. People would start lining up 15 minutes before they opened the door to get a spot. Crazy fun as were the Crossing the Line ceremonies.

I do agree that, in general, the service on Princess is a notch or two above that on Cunard, and the morning shows on Princess are a lot more interesting, especially if Richard Joseph or David Cole is the Cruise Director.

Both DH and I have found the daytime lectures on Cunard ships to be a highlight of ocean travel. We have experienced Insight programs that include varied subject matter, interesting to ladies and gentlemen alike. Princess offers nothing to compare. But, during a port-intensive cruise, would this be of consequence?

Princess does have better desserts : ) and less harried staff (at least in non-Grill accommodations).

Shipmates vary with cruise destinations. We have found congenial tablemates on both Cunard and Princess ships.

We wouldn't hesitate to sail with either cruise line, but would always chose the QM2 above any other ship (when possible).

Enjoy your future voyages on both Princess and Cunard.

Well ....

Koonard

"Go with Princess and enjoy" ? am I the only one confused .com

Five Cunard voyages to One Princess ( only one taken in 2011 ) then decides to continue with Cunard :D

:confused:

Cunard offers various interesting discussions - and a distinctly more formal atmosphere. I would say the food and service are comparable. I recall my Princess cruise as seeming crowded, and there wasn't the spacious feeling (or the classic atmosphere) for which Cunard is noted. My general recollection is of a lot of glitzy, plastic decor on Princess vs. the traditional mahogany and brass decor of Cunard.

We wouldn't hesitate to sail with either cruise line, but would always chose the QM2 above any other ship (when possible).

Enjoy your future voyages on both Princess and Cunard.

It's been a while since we have sailed on the Queen Mary, but right now, the Queen Elizabeth is our favorite ship, although we like the staff better on the Queen Victoria.

On Princess we like the Island best and it also has the best Cruise Director in Richard Joseph.

In a couple of weeks we will be taking our first voyage on the Pacific Princess and I have heard wonderful things about that ship. I have heard, however, that Princess is spelling it, so I hope I don't like it too much.

Edited by PunkiC

We have enjoyed Princess and Cunard( both better than Regent in our opinion).

I agree with almost everything posted here.One thing we love about Princess is the movies under the stars.We are not keen to watch 'shows' in the evenings but really enjoy the nighttime outdoor movies,wrapped in warm blankets with not chocolate or brandy and food to nibble..

These vary from old fashioned classic movies to modern concerts.Great fun...:)

"Go with Princess and enjoy" ? am I the only one confused .com Five Cunard voyages to One Princess (only one taken in 2011 ) then decides to continue with Cunard
Hi Bell Boy,

No, you're not the only one who is confused (there's me as well!)

Repeat Cunard trips...

V

One Princess trip, years ago... and never went back for more, thank you.

Yet recommends Princess above Cunard :confused:

Ah well, that's what the internet is all about I suppose :rolleyes:

Best wishes :).

Edited by pepperrn

Hi Bell Boy,

No, you're not the only one who is confused (there's me as well!)

Repeat Cunard trips...

V

One Princess trip, years ago... and never went back for more, thank you.

Yet recommends Princess above Cunard :confused:

Ah well, that's what the internet is all about I suppose :rolleyes:

Best wishes :).

Hi Bell Boy and Peppern.

I am also confused as Koonard posted a message about her trip on the Ruby Princess ship. I wonder if she has forgotten how much she disliked it?

Here is what she wrote in case she has forgotten.:) I know we all forget as we get older. :D

-------------------------

We are just back from Ruby Princess .. Barcelona to Venice.

We disliked the Sell Sell Sell attitude to everything. Pestered for Wine Tasting, Coffee Cards, Soda drinks , Spa treatments .. the list goes on and on. The Americans passengers dont seem to have a clue on how to behave and dress. We saw flip flops and shorts in the cocktail lounge at 8.00pm ( and the people concerned looked as if they needed a shower )

The greed was amazing .. plates piled high with Biscuits ( cookies ) I mean why eat 12 cookies with your coffee ? Its just greed.

The MUTS was loud and on most of the day and evening on the open deck. My husband was chucked off his lounger as they wanted to get ready for the movie, whatever happened to customers first.

The staff seem to shout all the time and yell " Good job " at absolutely anything.

The cruise director was noticed to be absent unless she had to be there ie at the Captains Party ( thats a joke .. sitting around for ages in a huge crowd waiting for a drink to appear )

The entertainment was awful .. like Billy Butlins .. if you are American you wont know the reference.

I would say DONT go on Princess choose P&O always.

We have done P&O, Cunard, RC, Fred Olsen, Princess

"Go with Princess and enjoy" ? am I the only one confused .com

Five Cunard voyages to One Princess ( only one taken in 2011 ) then decides to continue with Cunard :D

:confused:

Definitely not the only one confused, but hopefully Koonard will be back to explain.

I would like to share an observation from our second, or third, QM2 crossing.

In the King's Court, I saw a woman who must have taken every strawberry from the serving bowl. She had a large dinner plate heaped with strawberries in a huge, huge mound--more than she and her family could have ever hoped to consume----no doubt denying a long line of strawberry fanciers, who came after her, even one or two…

Probably more weight of strawberries than the plate of cookies described and no doubt stacked higher.

It was a sight and no, the woman was not an American (nor was she British or German). She was youngish and sat with her husband and small children.

I have no idea why someone would choose to take an unnecessarily large and ostensively greedy helping of any food---cookies or fruit. Who knows!! And, really, besides the point.

While the ambiance or mood of one ship (on any specific voyage) clearly can be a world apart from the ambiance of another ship and voyage, all travel can put one in new and sometimes unexpected situations, including the observation of human behavior that seems out-of-the-ordinary.

This is not a Cunard-thing nor is it a Princess thing.

We meet strangers when we travel and some strangers indeed seem strange.

Most people, though, to me are interesting. Many, many seem kind and thoughtful and intelligent and very worthwhile.

While thoroughly supporting Cunard's dress codes and other traditions, I personally don't suffer in another venue while in the company of people on a more relaxed Princess ship---- if DH and I are motivated to book by the right itinerary, coupled with the right price.

Cunard has shifted some itineraries to different parts of the world and Princess now offers itineraries that Cunard formerly arranged.

Cookies or strawberries, I'm still happy on a ship. ...Although, repeating myself, I will always love the QM2 best of all and yes, I favor the idea of eating strawberries over cookies ---- not, however, (I hope) in an unreasonable amount that would garner anyone's attention or prompt a posting on CC…

Happy Sailing to all!!!

Did they eat all of the strawberries?

This family each had a personal plate of food as well. There appeared too many strawberries to be consumed completely, but that is admittedly a guess. I didn't remain to witness the outcome.

Just a vignette that remained stuck in my mind.

Like you, DH and I enjoyed our time on the Queen Elizabeth very much. I thought it would feel small, after the QM2, but we settled in and felt quite comfortable aboard. ...I agree I had the same impression of staff on the QE --- a little less enthusiastic --but that could have been the voyage.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise on the Island Princess!!!! Exciting to have your departure coming so soon. Have fun !!!!

This family each had a personal plate of food as well. There appeared too many strawberries to be consumed completely, but that is admittedly a guess. I didn't remain to witness the outcome.

Just a vignette that remained stuck in my mind.

Like you, DH and I enjoyed our time on the Queen Elizabeth very much. I thought it would feel small, after the QM2, but we settled in and felt quite comfortable aboard. ...I agree I had the same impression of staff on the QE --- a little less enthusiastic --but that could have been the voyage.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise on the Island Princess!!!! Exciting to have your departure coming so soon. Have fun !!!!

I initially thought the same as you regarding QE, but ended up enjoying it a lot. In fact, after my end of year cruises I'll have spent more time on QE than QM2.

I'm rather surprised by a lot of people saying the Cunard staff aren't as cheery as those on Princess. I've found good and bad on both lines, but Cunard's wait staff and bar staff have always been fantastic overall. I've found Princess' wait staff to be pushy and hurried - like my first (and last) dinner in the dining room on Dawn Princess where the waiter pushed through an entire meal in 20 minutes! He even took my plate away before I'd even finished a course.

So good was my waiter on QE last time that I'm hoping I can arrange to have him again (if he's on board). Not only did he have an incredible memory, but he never steered wrong on recommendations and he always did something special each night for the table - an extra decoration to what other tables had and he performed magic. I hope he got crew of the month after all the great reviews my table left.

You'll find the Princess passenger crowd to be less well heeled and less educated

What a sweeping generalisation! It's certainly not what we found on our two QE cruises last summer. We met many what you might call 'less educated' and 'less well heeled' people who had worked hard all year in order to sail for one or two weeks only on Cunard. As first time Cunard cruisers we were very surprised at how 'ordinary' people were - and pleasantly surprised at that! We only met a small number of truly snobby people who thought they were gods gift to cruising because they had cruised with Cunard.

We found staff to be generally miserable, and service in the Lido was dreadful, tables not cleared, no hot or cold drinks offered, staff standing chatting to each other ignoring passengers, and a request by a lady near us for a glass of water was met with a pointed finger and the comment 'over there!' Meaning get it yourself.

Food was bland (which didn't bother us) and the buffet was very limited, but quite adequate, and we enjoyed the typically British puddings. But compared to Royal Princess it was very poor - the wonderful Pastry shop offered extensive selections of delicious desserts and pastries each day, and nothing on the QE came close apart from the delicious scones at tea time.

But we loved the ship and our balcony cabin, and had a wonderful time. Afternoon tea was amazing, and better than Princess - though we do love having afternoon tea brought to our cabin each day on the Princess ships.

As far as food and service is concerned Princess beat Cunard hands down. But of course we were only in the steerage part of the ship, with the less well educated and less well heeled clientele, and not in 'The Grills' where maybe the cuisine would have been of a higher standard.......as befitting the more educated and more well heeled passengers..... ;):D

Edited by ellie1145