How to set up a Meet & Greet on QM2?

DarCrav

Our May 10th TA seems to be in need of a Meet & Greet and I was wondering how do we set one up? There seem to be a number of newbies to Cunard, and since my husband and I have sailed on QM2 before I thought I'd (gulp) volunteer. Any suggestions from Cunarders would be much appreciated...

Our May 10th TA seems to be in need of a Meet & Greet and I was wondering how do we set one up? There seem to be a number of newbies to Cunard, and since my husband and I have sailed on QM2 before I thought I'd (gulp) volunteer. Any suggestions from Cunarders would be much appreciated...

Meet at 2.30 on the first sea day in the Commodore Club and tell people on the roll call that you suggest doing that. Simples!

Edited by capnpugwash

For us, it's always been casually set up on the roll call. The ideal, for me, has always been 2:00, in the Commodore Club on the first sea day. Others have been set for 11:00 or noon, which I don't find as convenient because of conflicting schedules (that's just us).

For a smaller group, the Commodore Club is perfect. Someone usually suggests meeting by the piano and that will give you the meeting place. Do it...it's a lovely way to meet some very nice people. And there is no organization required. :)

Hi DarCav

Go to the roll-call for this crossing:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2114684

Post there, suggest everyone meeting at 2 or 2.30 pm, next to the piano in the Commodore Club, on the first sea day (this is the traditional spot and usual times).

Do NOT involve Cunard or tell them in advance, the flash-mob approach works best. If you tell them in advance, Cunard will move your get-together to a interior meeting room underneath Illuminations (next to the computer rooms. There is a coffee machine outside). So you'll lose the spectacular view over the bow, and the bar and service for refreshments (both alcohol and soft drinks).

(Avoid name-badges, guest speakers, super-organisers, lectures, and anyone who wants to upset everyone else present by telling all in a loud voice how little they paid for the same (or better) accommodation (they have no manners)).

Then everyone meets in a relaxed and friendly manner, ready to meet old friends and make new acquaintances. People will mix and mingle over a period of about an hour usually.

Hope this helps, happy sailing, Bon Voyage! :)

Edited by pepperrn

For us, it's always been casually set up on the roll call. The ideal, for me, has always been 2:00, in the Commodore Club on the first sea day. Others have been set for 11:00 or noon, which I don't find as convenient because of conflicting schedules (that's just us).

For a smaller group, the Commodore Club is perfect. Someone usually suggests meeting by the piano and that will give you the meeting place. Do it...it's a lovely way to meet some very nice people. And there is no organization required. :)

Well said! :) Very well said :) :) !!

I personally happen to like more organized Meet & Greets, and find they are especially helpful venues to learn the tricks of the cruising trade, especially when you have a lot of newbies. We have saved thousands of dollars based on tricks we learned at Meet & Greets and, moreover, have acquired even more thousand of dollars in On Board Credit using information gleaned from other passengers at Meet & Greets.

There are others that think that discussing tricks to get the best deal and the most OBC is crass, but I could care less what they think, knowing that those tricks start us off on most cruises with $1,350.00 OBC and that we typically pay about half of what other folks paid for our balcony.

We like to take anywhere from 4 to 6 cruises a year and, obviously, the more we can save, the more cruises we can take. It works for me. :p

Hi PunkiC,

I think what you describe above is a great idea for an additional get-together for interested people, maybe advertised in the Daily Programme (with Cunard's assistance for venue and timing) for a different day at sea, as a sort of formal "mini-lecture" in one of the meeting rooms?

It can be very structured. People can talk of their past experiences and give tips and hints (as you suggest). A wonderful and helpful addition to the facilities available to passengers.

But what we're talking about here (unless I've miss-read the OP's post, is a "Meet and Greet" (or a meet and mingle, to give it an alternative name).

This is a completely different thing; an informal, unstructured gathering that gives people a chance to do exactly that; "meet and mingle". No speaker, no talks, no agenda. Usually, as has been said above, in the afternoon of the first sea-day. A chance to talk with old friends and meet new ones, in an open and casual way.

I think there is room for both, what do you think?

And of course, your expertise isn't available on many sailings (unless you're looking for a post-retirement career (Hint :) . Go on, approach Cunard, many of the best speakers in the enrichment programme started that way ;) )).

Best wishes and happy sailings :)

Edited by pepperrn

Yes, Pepper, I'm only interested in something simple - no agenda other than, "Hello, it's nice to meet you." It's a way to place a face with a name of someone you've met online, with whom you've chatted. A drink in the Commodore fits the bill nicely.

Hi Darlene,

Thank you for stepping forward and organizing this Meet & Greet.

Do you know if the clocks go forward one hour on the first sea day of this voyage at noon?

Last year, on the QM2 when we sailed eastbound they did change at this time. It is not a problem (I do prefer it when the clocks are changed at night though) but the lunch period does gets shortened somewhat. So long as people are aware and make plans accordingly.:)

Tracey

Hi PunkiC,

I think what you describe above is a great idea for an additional get-together for interested people, maybe advertised in the Daily Programme (with Cunard's assistance for venue and timing) for a different day at sea, as a sort of formal "mini-lecture" in one of the meeting rooms?

It can be very structured. People can talk of their past experiences and give tips and hints (as you suggest). A wonderful and helpful addition to the facilities available to passengers.

But what we're talking about here (unless I've miss-read the OP's post, is a "Meet and Greet" (or a meet and mingle, to give it an alternative name).

This is a completely different thing; an informal, unstructured gathering that gives people a chance to do exactly that; "meet and mingle". No speaker, no talks, no agenda. Usually, as has been said above, in the afternoon of the first sea-day. A chance to talk with old friends and meet new ones, in an open and casual way.

I think there is room for both, what do you think?

And of course, your expertise isn't available on many sailings (unless you're looking for a post-retirement career (Hint :) . Go on, approach Cunard, many of the best speakers in the enrichment programme started that way ;) )).

Best wishes and happy sailings :)

The expertise come from the other passengers. The only thing I add to the mix is a talent for enabling participation, and that does make a big difference. Everybody has something very helpful to share, they just need encouragement to speak up.

Of course, I am up for any kind of social interaction. One of the reason we so such enjoy cruising is that it provides so many opportunities to meet new people, some of whom become real lifetime friends.

We always request a large table for dinner, as well as breakfast and lunch when we eat in the dining room. In the buffet, we always ask if we can join other passengers. Usually the best way to get to know people is sitting in the buffet at a table for four or in the gym or on the dance floor.

We have also attended lots of casual Meet & Greets and they are great, but not of as much value as the organized meets.

We have also attended lots of casual Meet & Greets and they are great, but not of as much value as the organized meets.

I'm sure there is room for both types and it is up to the individuals on the roll calls which they want to organise/attend.

I don't think we can say that one is of less value they are just different and serve different purposes.

To get Cunard officially involved in a M&G is to lose control over the date, time, and place.

11AM tends to be the worst possible time as it runs against the featured Insights speaker's first presentation. Given a choice of a M&G versus hearing Stephen Payne or Christine Roussel, one guess which one I would pick.

I pulled out of my WB M&G because Madame Superorganizer - a high energy professional tour operator - was committing names to her event. One look at her posting history showed that she's an experienced hand at running these dreadful RCI/Carnival type events so one knows exactly what to expect.:rolleyes:

I'm sure there is room for both types and it is up to the individuals on the roll calls which they want to organise/attend.

I don't think we can say that one is of less value they are just different and serve different purposes.

There most certainly is room for both types--we welcome any opportunity to meet new people and one probably does meet more people at a casual get together in the Commodore's Club.

Organized Meet & greet have more value to me because I learn so much that saves/makes me money. We are so outgoing that we don't need a formal Meet & Greet to meet people.

To get Cunard officially involved in a M&G is to lose control over the date, time, and place.

11AM tends to be the worst possible time as it runs against the featured Insights speaker's first presentation. Given a choice of a M&G versus hearing Stephen Payne or Christine Roussel, one guess which one I would pick.

I pulled out of my WB M&G because Madame Superorganizer - a high energy professional tour operator - was committing names to her event. One look at her posting history showed that she's an experienced hand at running these dreadful RCI/Carnival type events so one knows exactly what to expect.:rolleyes:

Im really glad someone bought this up. We are booked on the WC of the QV next year and new to this forum and after reading a particular book, mentioned on several threads which included the writers own meet and greets where they seemed to be pretty formal and dominated by a vocal few only confirmed for us a "Mix and Mingle" with no captains hats or name tags suited us perfectly but how to suggest that and not offend or get flamed as a newbie is a difficult task.

Im sorry Punkic I don't mean to offend but the thought of turning up and being lectured about how to save money and get the best deal is not to everyones cup of tea. But the idea of setting up a separate group for you is a good idea. As long as it was called something completely different to a Mix and Mingle or Meet and Greet so that people know what they are getting is a great idea.

Thankyou to the OP of bringing up this subject. And once again, Im knew here and don't mean to offend....this board can be scary at times!

Edited by fourstacker

Do NOT involve Cunard or tell them in advance, the flash-mob approach works best. If you tell them in advance, Cunard will move your get-together to a interior meeting room underneath Illuminations (next to the computer rooms. There is a coffee machine outside). So you'll lose the spectacular view over the bow, and the bar and service for refreshments (both alcohol and soft drinks).
This. Oh, this.

I've been on organized meetings and "flash mob" meetings on Cunard and one organized meeting on Princess. The Princess meeting was well-done, in a bar that was for our exclusive use, with a large turnout. Cunard-organized meetings are never as nice (and the turnout is much smaller), which is why it's best for the attendees to just show up and mingle.

Organized Meet & greet have more value to me because I learn so much that saves/makes me money. We are so outgoing that we don't need a formal Meet & Greet to meet people.

Frankly, I've never even heard of M&G's where you go to learn the tricks of the cruising trade. All of ours have consisted of simply meeting the people we have been "talking" to on the roll calls, which is what I thought, was the whole purpose. Even better, is when there is someone whose posts you have been enjoying for years on the regular threads.

In my opinion, I don't want to sit somewhere.....on my trip......and be lectured on how I could have done a better job of booking my voyage, or worse, be told that the person next to me paid less for the same cabin. We do a lot of research for our trips and seriously, I don't believe anyone in the room is going to enlighten us to some "secret" that we didn't know.

I go to enjoy myself as an equal traveler.....not someone to be put into a position of compliant listener. :)

It appears that I have be very unclear about the type do Meet & Greets I have organized. There is no lecture just passengers sharing ideas with one another in an atmosphere where everyone can hear what everyone else has to say, and benefit from one another's knowledge.

Perhaps the rest of you all have unlimited funds and have no interest in saving money or increasing on board credit. We, however, can't afford a half a dozen fancy trips a year unless we carefully manage our budget and that requires knowing all the tricks of the trade, so I am very happy for any opportunity to learn, as well as any opportunity to meet new people.

As a first timer with Cunard on the TA May 10 I appreciate meeting people and also getting helpful hints. From what others have mentioned two meetings would allow those who want the second get together to meet. I see value in both approaches. Saving money for more cruises would be great. That would be a great way to enjoy retirement.

It appears that I have be very unclear about the type do Meet & Greets I have organized. There is no lecture just passengers sharing ideas with one another in an atmosphere where everyone can hear what everyone else has to say, and benefit from one another's knowledge.

Perhaps the rest of you all have unlimited funds and have no interest in saving money or increasing on board credit. We, however, can't afford a half a dozen fancy trips a year unless we carefully manage our budget and that requires knowing all the tricks of the trade, so I am very happy for any opportunity to learn, as well as any opportunity to meet new people.

Hi PunkiC, Im afraid we don't have unlimited funds more is the pity, but we do take the attitude that once we have found a fare that we are happy with then we are satisfied. I don't think sitting in a group being told how much people have paid for their staterooms would be constructive for our experience. Maybe it is my upbringing which makes the discussing of this sort to be a little nouveau and certainly a bit tasteless. I think that sort of discussion (minus the actual dollar figures) can best be done be done on a board such as this.

Once on board it is a little late to do anything about how much you have paid and finding out you have paid a little more than someone else can only lead to a negative atmosphere.

Now a meet and greet where you can meet others to say hello to that you have met on the board is another matter...

Edited by fourstacker

Again, it seems as though I have failed to communicate clearly. There is no discussion of how much people actually paid, but rather a discussion of strategies for getting the best deals and getting the most Onboard Credit, plus lots of other cruise savvy tidbits. Since this also can include a discussion of travel agents, which, of course, can't be discussed on Cruise Critic, it can't be done on line but only in person.

If a person only took one cruise in their life, learning booking strategies after one was already on board would be silly. We, however, like to take lots and lots of cruises and, therefore, try to get as much information as we possibly can to get the best deals we can on future cruises, from as many sources as possible. Some of the best sources we have found are other passengers we have met at Meet & Greets.

At what Underwatr calls a "flash mob" Meet & Mingle, and I have been to quite a few, we only have an opportunity to glean information from a couple of people, when everyone is sharing their knowledge openly we get information from lots of people--learning a lot more.

Moreover, with everyone sharing openly, e also get to meet lot more people with whom we interact for the duration of the cruise.

I think we may be at cross-purposes here over a name, hence the confusion, or at least I hope that's what it is! :)

So, here goes... :eek: It is the term "Meet and Greet".

I (and many others it seems) take this to mean a casual, relaxed, informal, cocktail party-like gathering of passengers in the Commodore Club on the first sea-day, after lunch.

People gradually arrive, without fuss, over the space of fifteen minutes or so (and leave just as informally, as they say "oh, is that the time? I've got to be in the Chart Room at three" or similar).

Often people mingle and introduce themselves individually to others, there are many conversations going on at once. People chat in twos and threes about all sorts of subjects; the next port of call, the weather, "Is this your first time on board QM2?" etc. It is a chance (as someone above said) to put a face to an on-screen name. I've noted at several like this that I've attended, almost no-one sits; like any drinks party, everyone moves about, spying old friends, or having a new acquaintance introduced.

But I've also attended "Meet and Greets" where everyone is sat in a circle, and people take it in turns to talk, while others listen. This may be closer to that which PunkiC describes.

These tend to be smaller gatherings (usually less than a dozen), but there is no ONE topic of conversation, which ranges over many subjects, often nothing to do with ships or cruising.

Furthermore, at not one that I've attended (since 2006) has the subject of fares paid, how to save money, "What deal did you get?" "I know how to pay less" etc, come up. Maybe I've been fortunate. As fourstacker said, I'd find this a "little nouveau and certainly a bit tasteless". Maybe it's a cultural thing; "One simply doesn't talk about money" :D

I must say again, I think there is room for both sorts of gatherings.

The cocktail party atmosphere of the traditional "Meet and Greet"...

And a separate "Tips for Travellers" meeting or "How to Save Money on Your Next Cruise" get-together.

After all, the Friends of Dorothy, and the Friends of Bill W. (and others) hold their meetings on board, without any problems, and they don't try to take over the introductory, informal, "Meet and Greet" social event traditionally held near the start of a cruise or crossing.

Anyway, ducking down now ;) , those are my thoughts!

Best wishes to all :) .

Edited by pepperrn

Once on board it is a little late to do anything about how much you have paid and finding out you have paid a little more than someone else can only lead to a negative atmosphere...

Bingo! What is the point in bragging at this point? To prove superior intellect, masterful fact finding and shrewd negotiation skills?

...Now a meet and greet where you can meet others to say hello to that you have met on the board is another matter...

Another reason that I pulled out of the roll call - besides the RCI style event - is the complete absence of anybody who actually posts on the Cunard board. Maybe they lurk, but I feel no connection to them whatsoever.

Edited by BlueRiband