QM2 Eastbound Transatlantic - Dog and Customs

lilstrlett

New to this forum and would love some insight from you experienced travelers!

Backstory: My husband is pursuing an opportunity to move us from the US to Edinburgh. Still in the beginning stages and no set info yet on that. However, I'm a planner and like to get my ducks in a row and do my research before things get started. We have a 10-month old and a dog. I've looked into flights and business class tickets, one-way, non-stop are $17000. Insanity. We have to use approved airlines and a long flight with a toddler, sitting in coach, would be awful. Then there's the fact that I'm terrified of flying. So I saw that the QM2 allows dogs. $5100 for the three of us (would have to factor in the kennel cost), so possibly around $6000 including kennel and tip for the week (excluding extras during the voyage). Much cheaper and, honestly, I'd rather spend 7 days on a boat than 7 hours in a plane.

So, have any of you experienced bringing your dog on the QM2? I know they only have 12 spaces and I have seen that they fill up fast. If we ended up booking this, we probably wouldn't go until the end of the year, so I'm hoping there would be a spot left.

I know we would have to follow PETS for the UK, but what is it like when you disembark? Is there an inspection from customs for pets? What do they do with your dog to clear? We would have all of her paperwork and follow protocol previous to boarding in NYC, but I'm more wondering if there are ever issues taking your dog off the ship at Southampton.

Thanks for any help!

I'm sorry....but I don't know how to cut and paste.

There is a wonderful blog that I found last year. Simply type in "Taking your dog on the QM2".....look for "Pepper in Paris"....it's right at the top.

Wonderful detailed information....it should be enjoyable reading for you. :)

Hi lilstrett. My suggestion would be to call Cunard and ask if there is any kennel space available towards the end of the year since you mentioned that might be when you'll be sailing. Kennel space is booked pretty far in advance as you know, but you may request to be added to the waitlist.

Since your booking would be made in the US, you can cancel without penalty usually 90 days prior to sail date, but please confirm the terms and conditions with Cunard. You can find a list of QM2 Transatlantic sailing dates here: http://www.cunard.com/cruise-search/book-a-cruise/results/?s=QM&pg=1&tids=TRAN

Best wishes,

Salacia

I hope it's not for a least 2 months because babies have to be at least 12 months old to sail Transatlantic. You do get a break on the fare because infants sail free as the 3rd or 4th person in a stateroom.

"...We are unable to accept infants of 12 months or less on any full World Cruise, Exotic Cruises or Transatlantic Crossings...

Infants aged between 6 months and 2 years accommodated as a third or fourth passenger in a stateroom travel free on board. A nominal fee may be charged for infants between the ages of 6 months and 2 years travelling where, transfers, hotel stays and air travel are involved, which we will discuss with you at the time of booking."

Hi

Something else you should be aware of Animals including dogs entering the UK from outwith the EU normally require to undergo 6 months quarantine within the UK before they can reside here. Pet animals from EU countries require to have a pet passport.

Hope this info helps.

Yes I am going to do that today, actually. Thought I would at least get on a waiting list. I'm hoping that if we go towards the end of the year or in colder months, there will be less travelers, or at least less travelers with dogs.

Hi lilstrett. My suggestion would be to call Cunard and ask if there is any kennel space available towards the end of the year since you mentioned that might be when you'll be sailing. Kennel space is booked pretty far in advance as you know, but you may request to be added to the waitlist.

Since your booking would be made in the US, you can cancel without penalty usually 90 days prior to sail date, but please confirm the terms and conditions with Cunard. You can find a list of QM2 Transatlantic sailing dates here: http://www.cunard.com/cruise-search/book-a-cruise/results/?s=QM&pg=1&tids=TRAN

Best wishes,

Salacia

Not true. The US is on a non-EU listed country. No quarantine, just PETS protocol (mircochip, rabies, tapework treatment, pet passport).

Hi

Something else you should be aware of Animals including dogs entering the UK from outwith the EU normally require to undergo 6 months quarantine within the UK before they can reside here. Pet animals from EU countries require to have a pet passport.

Hope this info helps.

Thanks. Yup he will be over a year when (if) we move. My husband might have to be there as early as August but I don't think we would officially move until later in the year (so many things to do).

I hope it's not for a least 2 months because babies have to be at least 12 months old to sail Transatlantic. You do get a break on the fare because infants sail free as the 3rd or 4th person in a stateroom.

"...We are unable to accept infants of 12 months or less on any full World Cruise, Exotic Cruises or Transatlantic Crossings...

Infants aged between 6 months and 2 years accommodated as a third or fourth passenger in a stateroom travel free on board. A nominal fee may be charged for infants between the ages of 6 months and 2 years travelling where, transfers, hotel stays and air travel are involved, which we will discuss with you at the time of booking."

Thanks. Yup he will be over a year when (if) we move. My husband might have to be there as early as August but I don't think we would officially move until later in the year (so many things to do).

You will need to make allowance for the quite expensive costs associated with the pet passport and vet certificates/jabs. They are about $3000 and their window of validity is ridiculously narrow. You will need to work out your timings to get things run smoothly. I've never done it but have discussed it with some who have.

I know I'm so not looking forward to all the costs. We will get relocation covered, but I'm not sure how it works. I don't know if they pay for specific services (like if his company will pay a mover, etc. directly) or if they give us a lump sum and we have to allocate it ourselves.

You will need to make allowance for the quite expensive costs associated with the pet passport and vet certificates/jabs. They are about $3000 and their window of validity is ridiculously narrow. You will need to work out your timings to get things run smoothly. I've never done it but have discussed it with some who have.

I can tell you from personal experience that you should have no worries taking your dog on the QM2! I took my dogs on vacAtion in 2014(crazy I know). Left NYC in May 2014 and returned June 2014. I have nothing but praise for the care of my dogs on board. Dedicated kennel area and kennel master etc. it is late so I won't go into detail but I will say that I was anxious about how they would adapt to life at sea but it was not a problem at all (despite some rough seas)! In fact on the return when they saw the Kennel Master in Southampton they jumped all over him happily and wagged their tails as they boarded and went up to the kennels. They had a great time.

My only warning is the paperwork. Find a very knowledgeable vet! The paperwork is not complicated but you need someone who understands the details and timing so I would start interviewing vets know.

You and your dog will enjoy the QM2!

Yes I am going to do that today, actually. Thought I would at least get on a waiting list. I'm hoping that if we go towards the end of the year or in colder months, there will be less travelers, or at least less travelers with dogs.

So, how did it go? Did you find that kennels are booked far in advance? Were you able to secure passage for your family and your dog?

Oh and....all the paperwork was diligently checked getting on in NYC by the purser. On arrival there was no inspection of the dog papers. Apparently the British only check random arrivals. That said-i think if there was anything wrong with the paperwork it would have been caught before boarding and they don't let you on if it is not correct.

Thank you so much for your reply! I giggled when you wrote about tour dogs excited to see the kennel master when you got back to the ship :)

We would be going one way, so I wonder if there is any difference with an inspection. Since our intention is to stay in the UK and not leave, if that maks sense.

I keep going back and forth on what's more stressful for her: 12hours separated from us, cooped up in a crate, under an airplane or 7 days on a ship, also in a crate (sort of) but she gets lots of time with other dogs and people. I personally think the cruise would be a once in a lifetime experience and would love to do it. I really am terrified of flying and if I had the choice I wouldn't ever get on a plane!

I can tell you from personal experience that you should have no worries taking your dog on the QM2! I took my dogs on vacAtion in 2014(crazy I know). Left NYC in May 2014 and returned June 2014. I have nothing but praise for the care of my dogs on board. Dedicated kennel area and kennel master etc. it is late so I won't go into detail but I will say that I was anxious about how they would adapt to life at sea but it was not a problem at all (despite some rough seas)! In fact on the return when they saw the Kennel Master in Southampton they jumped all over him happily and wagged their tails as they boarded and went up to the kennels. They had a great time.

My only warning is the paperwork. Find a very knowledgeable vet! The paperwork is not complicated but you need someone who understands the details and timing so I would start interviewing vets know.

You and your dog will enjoy the QM2!

Oh and....all the paperwork was diligently checked getting on in NYC by the purser. On arrival there was no inspection of the dog papers. Apparently the British only check random arrivals. That said-i think if there was anything wrong with the paperwork it would have been caught before boarding and they don't let you on if it is not correct.

Welp, just called Cunard and their kennel is booked all of this year and next. It doesn't really surprise me, but I was hoping the winter/cold weather voyages would have less people bringing their dogs. Oh, an apparently you can't get on the waiting list unless you book a trip. I'm not booking 5 trips just to try and get my dog on.

What I was surprised about was how rude the person at Cunard was. I asked if there was any availability for our dog and she literally laughed. I was taken back by that. I understand that these things fill up quickly, but she should have been a lot more professional than that. The rest of the conversation wasn't that pleasant either. When you have customers willing to spend quite a bit of money on a trip, you would think their CSR would be more pleasant.

...What I was surprised about was how rude the person at Cunard was. I asked if there was any availability for our dog and she literally laughed...When you have customers willing to spend quite a bit of money on a trip, you would think their CSR would be more pleasant.

Cunard customer service is highly variable from polite and efficient to the experience you just cited. This is not an excuse, but you are dealing with low salary people who have never been on board a passenger ship much less a Cunard ship.

I really don't know what to tell you except that the date your dog sails might be a late booking. Because kennel space is in such demand some people do indeed make multiple bookings and thus exacerbate the shortage. Someone will book October because a kennel space is available but they really want to sail in June when kennel space is already sold out. They keep October as a backup in the hope that they will snag an opening for June and only then will they cancel the October booking. Meanwhile, somebody who really wants to sail in October is out of luck.

Edited by BlueRiband

I empathize with the OPs fear of flying. I don't like it, either! But there is a pilot who is now a social worker with a great website and an online forum and a lot of free resources-- he operates the SOAR program and also wrote an inexpensive book. I've read a lot of the website and have gotten through half the book and am now willing to fly (almost a miracle). We are sailing over to the UK on the QM2 in June and flying back via Iceland to break it up a bit.

About the kennel being sold out, it seems to me quite a lot of people cancel just before and at final payment date, 90 days before sailing.

New to this forum and would love some insight from you experienced travelers!

Backstory: My husband is pursuing an opportunity to move us from the US to Edinburgh. Still in the beginning stages and no set info yet on that. However, I'm a planner and like to get my ducks in a row and do my research before things get started. We have a 10-month old and a dog. I've looked into flights and business class tickets, one-way, non-stop are $17000. Insanity. We have to use approved airlines and a long flight with a toddler, sitting in coach, would be awful. Then there's the fact that I'm terrified of flying. So I saw that the QM2 allows dogs. $5100 for the three of us (would have to factor in the kennel cost), so possibly around $6000 including kennel and tip for the week (excluding extras during the voyage). Much cheaper and, honestly, I'd rather spend 7 days on a boat than 7 hours in a plane.

So, have any of you experienced bringing your dog on the QM2? I know they only have 12 spaces and I have seen that they fill up fast. If we ended up booking this, we probably wouldn't go until the end of the year, so I'm hoping there would be a spot left.

I know we would have to follow PETS for the UK, but what is it like when you disembark? Is there an inspection from customs for pets? What do they do with your dog to clear? We would have all of her paperwork and follow protocol previous to boarding in NYC, but I'm more wondering if there are ever issues taking your dog off the ship at Southampton.

Thanks for any help!

One solution might be, given that your husband will already be in the UK , to send the dog by air and then you take the ship with the luggage and children.