Wifi hotspots?

Herfnerd

Been trying to find out about Sprint coverage in Alaska, specifically Juneau, Sitka and Ketchikan and not finding out anything definitive but wonder if anyone knows of any free wifi hotspots in those ports?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The usual spots and recommendations...Starbucks, McDonalds, libraries. Follow the crew...they know. Usual stuff.

As to cell phones, the common info here is coverage in towns is usually pretty good, but once you get out of town, coverage decreases quickly.

The usual spots and recommendations...Starbucks, McDonalds, libraries. Follow the crew...they know. Usual stuff.

As to cell phones, the common info here is coverage in towns is usually pretty good, but once you get out of town, coverage decreases quickly.

(y) The crew is always a great source of this sort of CURRENT info!

Wasn't sure if there were Starbucks or Mickey D's in Sitka or Ketchikan and my searches show that AT&T seem to have a leg up in coverage. We have Sprint and just didn't find a lot about their coverage......

Been trying to find out about Sprint coverage in Alaska, specifically Juneau, Sitka and Ketchikan and not finding out anything definitive but wonder if anyone knows of any free wifi hotspots in those ports?

We have just returned from Alaska and my teenage son was very interested in finding free wifi in each port.

In Juneau we found free wifi in the hanger shopping mall next to the float plane dock. It was also available at outside the visitor centre near the mt Roberts tramway.

In Ketchikan, Annabelle's bar had free wifi and there was a small coffee shop about a block back from the port that was popular with the crew which offered wifi if you bought a coffee.

We didn't visit Sitka so can't help there I'm afraid but generally we found a free wifi connection in every port without too much difficulty (we also visited Seward, Skagway and Icy Strait Point).

We have just returned from Alaska and my teenage son was very interested in finding free wifi in each port.

In Juneau we found free wifi in the hanger shopping mall next to the float plane dock. It was also available at outside the visitor centre near the mt Roberts tramway.

In Ketchikan, Annabelle's bar had free wifi and there was a small coffee shop about a block back from the port that was popular with the crew which offered wifi if you bought a coffee.

We didn't visit Sitka so can't help there I'm afraid but generally we found a free wifi connection in every port without too much difficulty (we also visited Seward, Skagway and Icy Strait Point).

Thanks for the info, shore rat!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wasn't sure if there were Starbucks or Mickey D's in Sitka or Ketchikan and my searches show that AT&T seem to have a leg up in coverage. We have Sprint and just didn't find a lot about their coverage......

That's because there isn't. I'm not sure about McDonald's but I would imagine it's not right next to the port. I don't remember seeing one but I wasn't looking for one. The only Starbucks is in the Safeway and is all the way across town. Not walking distance. And that is our only stop that even has a Starbucks. So this answer was not very helpful to just tell you to go to those places. And as far as I can tell Sprint has no coverage in any of these cities. They had none when we were there in 2012 and when I have looked at their Maps it appears they still do not. There was another thread a few months back that was about sprint coverage and no one ever gave a response that they had encountered any.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Yeah, I got a good laugh at the Starbucks suggestion. You will finally be someplace without a Starbucks on every corner! There was one in downtown Juneau last year and it actually went out of business.

Besides the library, try Heritage Coffee in downtown Juneau if you want a coffee with your free wifi. There's a couple other free wifi with food/drink places in downtown.

That's because there isn't. I'm not sure about McDonald's but I would imagine it's not right next to the port. I don't remember seeing one but I wasn't looking for one. The only Starbucks is in the Safeway and is all the way across town. Not walking distance. And that is our only stop that even has a Starbucks. So this answer was not very helpful to just tell you to go to those places. And as far as I can tell Sprint has no coverage in any of these cities. They had none when we were there in 2012 and when I have looked at their Maps it appears they still do not. There was another thread a few months back that was about sprint coverage and no one ever gave a response that they had encountered any.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

I did discover that Sprint includes roaming at no extra charge on all national plans, just dunno how much that will help and I do have Sprint Open World which means unlimited text and calling in Canada and up to 1GB of high speed data.

We have AT&T so that is good news! I was going to check with them regarding Alaska and Vancouver also.

We have Sprint too....I've now made three calls to them to find out about coverages, charges, etc... I decided to go with the best 2 out of 3 answers...since my first 2 calls gave me different answers. ugh!!

Call their International # 1-888-211-4727 to find out exactly what your coverage and charges would be...but I advise calling more than once - just to make sure you're getting accurate info

• 2 months later...

I'm sure you can get good connection here https://wifispc.com

Really useful service to get a wifi!