Mendenhall Glacier Bus Prices

geomancer

Hello,

Simple quick question: How much are the bus tickets to the glacier?

I think I found the "blue bus" and "white bus" online, both say the price is $45/person.

That sounds extraordinarily excessive though for a 12 mile trip.

Hello,

Simple quick question: How much are the bus tickets to the glacier?

I think I found the "blue bus" and "white bus" online, both say the price is $45/person.

That sounds extraordinarily excessive though for a 12 mile trip.

I think they raised it from $30. It includes the $5 admission fee, but it's high. Alternatives are taxis and renting cars.

How typical, there is a $5 fee so they add $15 (even for kids, which are free) /eyeroll

Yes, we're planning on getting a car since there are three of us it's significantly cheaper. I think even with two people you'd break even at those prices. Plus with a car, you can do whatever you like, whenever you like.

Wow...thanks for the update all. I had no idea they raised it...we were planning on taking the white or blue bus for our trip in the next few weeks.

The Princess Mendenhall excursion is about the same price so it looks like we won't be saving any money with this shuttle...I guess the only advantage is that we would be on our time, rather than rushed seeing the Glacier and Nugget falls?

I was able to reserve a car through Avis, the pickup location is less than a mile from the docks so easily walk-able. $65.55 including taxes, so even accounting for expensive gas prices in Alaska we'll come out far ahead, even just two people would.

Their hours aren't the best, we arrive at noon and the rental office closes at 6 PM, but that will still give us ~5 hours for the glacier, should be plenty.

Any other locations nearby worth driving to?

• 3 weeks later...
I was able to reserve a car through Avis, the pickup location is less than a mile from the docks so easily walk-able. $65.55 including taxes, so even accounting for expensive gas prices in Alaska we'll come out far ahead, even just two people would.

Their hours aren't the best, we arrive at noon and the rental office closes at 6 PM, but that will still give us ~5 hours for the glacier, should be plenty.

Any other locations nearby worth driving to?

I rented from Avis last year in Juneau. Our port time was about 2 PM - 10 PM, I think. The Avis office closed much earlier than that but there was a key drop box we were able to use and didn't need to get the car back so early. We just parked the car in their lot and dropped the key. No problem.