When Should I Book Airfare for January Cruise

taylortime05

We cherry pick. Last time we flew into FLL on one airline and home from MIA on another. We have also done the same from Palm Beach PBI as the OP suggested.

But, we typically arrive at least two days early and generally rent a car which make the logistics easier.

There seems to be little or no benefit to booking return fares vs one ways or booking both on the same airline. The opposite has been true for us.

• 4 weeks later...

We usually buy air 30-60 days out. Sometimes, but not always, even during holiday travel periods like Christmas.

Two months ago we purchased air for our Jan/March trip. We have never done this before. Saw a price and a routing that was lower and better than we had ever had before. Essentially our price hit so we bought. Fare has gone down a little and up a little. Don't care. Our target price came up, we booked, and we are happy.

We have no doubt that there will be people on those flights that paid less. And some who paid more. Bottom line is that we got our preferred price so we really do not care what others may have paid.

• 3 weeks later...

I have always purchased airfare within days of flights being released because I always book our cruises shortly after they are published as well. This year they were a bit high so I waited. Booked in May for our February cruise. Got nonstop Detroit to Orlando return for $280 each including a prepaid suitcase per person and seat selection.

I always wrestle with this, as I am booking for five of us and can only do the economy (nonrefundable) fares. I have booked ten months out for international flights because the price is lower (I track it for several weeks before booking). The prices have always increased after that. It's like gambling.

This time, we are flying Sac or SFO to Vancouver and then Anchorage back (multicity flight) and since it's not international (technically) I am not sure whether to book now (nine months out) or wait until early next year. I have been tracking prices on the three airlines we could use and keep track of the lowest fare so far. One of these days I might get up the nerve to book when the fare dips...or I might keep waiting. The nonrefundable aspect is always nerve-wracking, in case something comes up in the next few months. Refundable tickets cost double so we just can't swing it (and still pay for the cruise itself).

Edited by rocklinmom

All the major airlines ran huge sales approaching the US Labor Day weekend. If you are flying anytime in the next six months, and bypassed that sale waiting for a better deal, you were foolish. I highly doubt one will see that kind of pricing the rest of the year!

However, some will always wait for the "bird in the bush"!

The nonrefundable aspect is always nerve-wracking, in case something comes up in the next few months.

There's the rub.

If you are talking about something that physically prevents you from cruising, that's where the proper selection and purchase of travel insurance comes into play. Not wanting to pry, but if that "something" is medical, you can often insure against loss.

If, OTOH, you are talking about situations that would cause you to CHOOSE not to cruise, that's a different case. Cancel for any reason policies are available, but significantly more expensive. If you are in a situation where you might be choosing not to cruise, then perhaps a long time-horizon cruise vacation is not your best choice.

I often talk with people who say "but what if something comes up in the interim?" I tell them that they should either 1) properly insure themself against financial loss, 2) accept that as a function of the vagaries of life, and/or 3) don't make, in the first place, vacation plans that have a significant possibility of being cancelled.

Lots of folks like the cruiseline options of "book now, pay later". Realize that you pay for that convenience, one way or another.

Yes that is very true Flyer Talker. You are always so wise about anything airfare.

For me, the concern is with things I can't cover with our travel insurance (which currently is the Princess Platinum insurance). My parents are almost 70 and have had health issues of late, so I am always concerned about that and the need to help them if something comes up. Cruises are easy to reschedule and I always book refundable hotel rooms in case the dates need to be changed; but it's the airfare that is done once booked (unless I pay change fees which are about $300 pp). Do you know if I would be able to reschedule my flight (eating the $1500 change fee for five of us) for sometime later in the summer if necessary? Or if God forbid, something happened to one of my parents and I had to try to get a refund?

YDo you know if I would be able to reschedule my flight (eating the $1500 change fee for five of us) for sometime later in the summer if necessary?

It depends entirely on the exact ticket that you purchase in the first place. Often, even non-refundable tickets can be changed. There's usually a change fee, as you mentioned, but you also have to pay for the difference in whatever the new ticket costs, vs. what you paid for your prior ticket; you don't get to apply the same ticket price. If the new ticket costs less, you may get the difference back in the form of a voucher.

But, some tickets are not only non-refundable; they are also non-changeable, even for a fee. I believe some of the new "basic economy" tickets are like that.