Overwhelmed Novice! Please HELP! What to book/do in advance?

My hubby and I are cruising on the Harmony, Sept 16th. We both have cruised before but YEARS ago and apparently things have SERIOUSLY changed! There are so many options for dining, excursions, tipping, shows then drink, spa, dining, internet packages! I'm so overwhelmed. What do/should I book in advance. I don't know if this matters but we're booked in a Grand Suite. Any help or direction you can provide me would be greatly appreciated.

I would for sure book the comedy show in advance, as this is a small venue. Your suite status will allow you to use the suite seating for the other shows. You will also get free internet (one device per person booked in the suite) because of your suite.

Book any must-do excursions beforehand because they will sell out. If seeing El Yunque in Puerto Rico, St.John while in St.Thomas, or Dunns River while in Falmouth, book those trips now, because once they sell out you'll have to go through a non-ship company, which some do not like to do.

My hubby and I are cruising on the Harmony, Sept 16th. We both have cruised before but YEARS ago and apparently things have SERIOUSLY changed! There are so many options for dining, excursions, tipping, shows then drink, spa, dining, internet packages! I'm so overwhelmed. What do/should I book in advance. I don't know if this matters but we're booked in a Grand Suite. Any help or direction you can provide me would be greatly appreciated.

Being in a Grand suite, you can skip some of the planning, as you should have reserved seats for shows, and have access to other eating options if you want, including CK I believe. Normally on Oasis class, you would want to go ahead and book entertainment as they can fill up.

Spa, you can wait til onboard and possible get some deals, depending on the day. For Excursions, you can book if you see something you find interesting, but there are many many choices, both through the cruise, and through other websites. Drink packages can be bought if you think it is worth it, and if it is on sale, go ahead and buy it, as you can always cancel if it goes down, or you change your mind.

I know it can be overwhelming, and you do not have to actually plan anything, but many of us actually like looking through much of it, as it helps pass the time until the cruise comes.

You will have access to Coastal Kitchen for all meals. You will not have a dining room assignment in main dining room. You will also have access to the suite lounge 24/7. There you can get soda, beer and wine at no charge from 11 AM to 11 PM. You may take these drinks out of the lounge. There is a cocktail "hour" with mixed drinks as well usually from 5-8:30 PM. All this is at no charge.These are both on deck 17 and require your seapass card to enter as these are for suite guests and Pinnacle members only. There is also a suite sundeck on deck 17 forward, with a nice hot tub, again only for suites and Pinnacles. The suite lounge will have two concierges who can help you with just about anything. I would not book a specialty restaurant until you check out Coastal Kitchen and then decide if you want to pay extra for a different venue.

Just one note about drink packages; they charge per day regardless of whether you use them or not (at least they do for non-suite folks like me). If you’re planning a lot of shore excursions, you’re getting billed for drinks when you’re not on the ship and likely getting billed for drinks you’re actually consuming on land!!!! I’m a novice traveler but that much became apparent to me right away. I’d think long and hard before I paid for a drink package.

As for being overwhelmed…I know it sounds cliche but just get on board and go with the flow. I don’t see how you can have a bad time on these boats!!!

BTW…Chops Grille is very good in my limited experience. The portions are massive.

Don't be overwhelmed! You are in a suite which helps A LOT! The only show you would really need to make advance reservations for (as Bob said) is the comedy show. The rest of the shows have special sections for suites guests. You will need to get there about 20-30 mins before the show starts because they do open up the seating to anyone about 10-15 mins. before the show starts.

You can eat in Coastal Kitchen for all of your meals, but they are only served during certain hours. If you want an early dinner make reservations for CK when you board otherwise you will have a later seating time. If you want to try the MDR, they have a line for suite guests, just show your seapass and they will get you in quickly.

I would try at least one specialty restaurant. You can wait until you are onboard to book. Chops and Giovanni's are our favorites and you can do Giovanni's on boarding day or a sea day for lunch and it is less expensive.

Remember, the concierge is there to help you. They have always been great with any question or request that we have had.

I wouldn't do a drink package as you have all of the complimentary drinks in the suite lounge.

I hope this helps. Have a great time on your cruise!!![emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Oh also, if you don't have any plans for one of the ports, that is the time to go to the spa. They always have port day specials that are great deals!

Edited to say: You will not need to purchase Voom as you get that for free also.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If you'd like to connect with your fellow cruisers going on the Harmony the same week as you on September 16th, click on the site below!!:cool: They will welcome you to the roll call and provide more useful info and answer more questions for you!!!;) Our family will be on Harmony on October 7th!!!!!!!! Bon Voyage!!!!:*

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2326688&page=30

We sailed Harmony in May.....your stop in St Thomas is going to dock away from shopping.....about at 10 min cab ride to where smaller ships doc....and yes, go to red hook, take the ferry to St. John. You'll love it it's about a 1/2 hour cab ride! I've sailed Disney 18 themes and Diamond member w RCCL. The Harmony is right there as one of my top 2 sailings! We sailed Oasis and weren't impressed with "corporate atmosphere". The Harmony had that small ship feeling! Be sure to print and bring boarding passes, to don't get your sea pass card when checking in at port. One room key will be outside your room after 1 and the other with your wristbands will be in room. The barcode on you printed documents are you "sea pass card" prior to getting to your room.....enjoy!

Thank you all for the incredible information. I'm going to try as suggested to post on the roll call board as well. I do have one follow up question...Wristbands?!? Someone above mentioned they will be in my stateroom. Do all the cruisers really need to wear wristbands throughout the entire cruise?

Thank you all for the incredible information. I'm going to try as suggested to post on the roll call board as well. I do have one follow up question...Wristbands?!? Someone above mentioned they will be in my stateroom. Do all the cruisers really need to wear wristbands throughout the entire cruise?

No, the wristbands are totally optional.

Optional, good if you spend time in hot tubs or pools, they act as sea pass card but pain in the butt! If you go to bar you have to be by register for them to scan. Basically have to take it off or put arm over counter by register to scan