How fast will the weight go back on during the cruise?

GlamorousGirl

I'm working hard on losing 2 dress sizes before my cruise in March. I'm working out 80 minutes per day almost every day and keeping the calorie count around 1200-1300 per day. I plan on completely stopping the diet when my trip begins and enjoying any and all food and drink I want during the trip. Do I need to worry that this extreme adjustment will cause a very noticeable weight gain during the trip such as my clothes not fitting right, or will it take longer than the 9-10 days I am gone so I won't have to worry about it until I get home? It takes SO long to lose the weight - I hope putting it back on is slow too!

I'm working hard on losing 2 dress sizes before my cruise in March. I'm working out 80 minutes per day almost every day and keeping the calorie count around 1200-1300 per day. I plan on completely stopping the diet when my trip begins and enjoying any and all food and drink I want during the trip. Do I need to worry that this extreme adjustment will cause a very noticeable weight gain during the trip such as my clothes not fitting right, or will it take longer than the 9-10 days I am gone so I won't have to worry about it until I get home? It takes SO long to lose the weight - I hope putting it back on is slow too!

Walk everywhere on the ship, no elevator! Also plan active shore excursions. I rarely gain on ship, since I'm burning so many calories.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You might find that you'll lose to dress sizes but the weight stays the same. Normally we gain about 5lbs on a 7 day cruise.

you might get sick from the extreme change of foods - at least that happens to me, my tummy cant handle going from healthy to greasy very well.

I lost ~10 lbs before my last cruise and had gained it all back by the end of it. Although most of it could really be attributed to bloating - all that drinking and eating ! I made it about half way through the cruise before I opted to not wear my tighter fitting dresses anymore lol but everyone's body is different!

I would probably advise to not go all buck wild! Definitely do a lot of walking and drink a lot of water. We try to take the stairs as much as possible. More importantly, keep up your routine when you get home! That will help curve whatever damage you might do on vacation ;)

You can eat everything just don't overdo.

You do a lot of walking just on the ship and

more on ports. Lot of time it evens out.

Usually when you gain on a cruise it's

from the traveling, sitting, different foods. So

most of it is water weight and most will come

off fast when you come home.

Just get back on track when you come home.

THE big question is-DO YOU PLAN TO DRINK UNLIMITED ALCOHOL-ALSO? that really makes me gain lots of weight. And the older you are-the harder it is to take off. I would plan to have a good time-but not pig out-if you want to try to not gain it all back. I cruised the first week in Dec. and came back and continued to "have a good time" till mid Jan. Gained 15 pounds back! Has taken me 6 weeks to lose about 10 of it.MAD at myself!

Allow yourself one meal a day to overindulge - if you go crazy during your cruise you will gain it on your cruise - have a light breakfast & normal lunch - if you can have someone fix your plate and bring it to you it will help you avoid the temptation of the buffet - do the same with lunch and commit to working out at least on your cruise days and you should be fine. Good luck.

My husband and i have both lost weight for our upcoming cruise. Like you we want to enjoy eating and drinking but don,t want to pile it all back on. so we have a plan. For breakfast load up with loads of fruit and then have eggs. then we plan to go to the gym every day after breakfast and then to the spa which we have signed up for. hopefully there will be lots of dancing swimming etc. you can still make healthy choices for meals. so we plan every second day to choose wisely and on alternate days have what we what.

Lol- DH gained 16 lbs on our cruise a few weeks ago, and I gained 8. We did NOT watch what we ate on the cruise. We got back on WW the day after returning. I lost my weight in a week. It's been almost 2 weeks, and DH has about 4 more lbs to lose, to get back to pre-travel weight.

Oh, and I found that on the cruise I didn't crave sweet drinks and fatty food. So, even though I still ate/drank whatever I wanted, I think my choices were healthier than in the past?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you all. I am going this week and I did it - I lost the two dress sizes, but barely because my new clothes that I got 2 sizes smaller just fit. If I gain much on the cruise they may be too tight since I'm borderline to the next size up. I'm sticking with my plan to indulge in the dining room, but will be taking your advise on exercise to help offset it. I think I will actually enjoy doing a lot of walking on deck and will check out the fitness center. I will go back to my routine after the trip. Thanks!

Have fun! Here is some additional advice (I meant to follow it myself, but didn't completely)... alternate your drinks with bottles of water (did not do this at all), have some "fun" mixed drinks, but primarily consume lower calorie ones (I did this). Instead have having tons of rum runners and things like Miami vices, I'd maybe have one a day, and then have "Malibu Diets" or "Vodka cranberry Sprite Zero" the rest of the day :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I've been maintaining a 75 lb weight loss for about 7 years. We gain a few pounds on each cruise, but it tends to fall off very quickly when we get back. We are not drinkers and we do ONLY use the stairs and do a lot of walking and do hit the gym every day, unless we are getting off the boat for excursions.

We don't necessarily watch what we eat, but we don't overeat either.

if you do what you say you're going to do, the weight will come back in a day. trust me. I know this. you'll be bloated in the middle and anything with a waistline will not fit properly. try this - get a good workout in in the morning, walk everywhere, take the stairs, do something active in the afternoon. that exercise regime will give you a feeling of wellness and will regulate your appetite, so that the sugar laden, fat laden food won't be all that attractive. you'll make good choices, most of the time, without even being conscious of it. you won't all the rich food all the time that you're sitting at home now imagining. we're at the end of march. I hope my pearls of wisdom haven't come too late.;)

• 1 month later...

Just back off my first cruise and I lost 1lb during it. It was a Med cruise and weather was lovely. The ship had a great gym and I used it only one day, preferring the jogging track, which I walked on. It was also port intensive so I did plenty of walking at ports too and I did dance classes aboard. I really enjoyed all this exercise as the holiday atmosphere helped, as did the sun. It didnt feel like hard work. I ate melon every morning and sometimes cereal or brown bread. Sometimes had salad at port or in buffet on ship in afternoon but didnt need much and then had three course meal with a glass or two of wine in the MDR in the evening. Usually had a cocktail or two after that. Didnt feel abit deprived and kept moving. Yes I used the stairs a much as I could. If your cruise ship offers a gym or walking track take advantage of it. Then you can still enjoy the food guilt free. Make wise choices and then you can spoil yourself too.

• 2 weeks later...

Great advice here! I'm just about to take my first cruise on Saturday (AAAAH!! CANNOT WAIT!) and know I'll be gaining at least a bit (whenever I vacation, I typically gain 4-5 lbs and drop it pretty quickly after I get back into the groove at home), but hopefully with these tips I'll keep the gaining to a minimum. And who knows, maybe I WON't gain weight for a change, with all the walking and exploring I'll be doing! Thanks, y'all!

I have a horror story on my last long cruise. Wasn't really overweight (though my doctor thought so) but I did eat a normal breakfast in the MDR, 3 and 4 course lunches and dinners, and also worked out in the gym daily (weights and long, hard exercise bike ride - it was mostly sea days), and put on weight! Not that my clothes got tight but my body type (I'm male) isn't the type to noticeably bulk up). IIRC I put on 7-10 lbs (about 5%) within a couple of weeks according to the ship gym weigh scale.

All gone soon enough (maybe it was the independent tour of Easter Island and Macchu Piccu that followed) - never noticed the gain and my jeans I bought before the trip (3 years ago) are loose.

See my fitness and weight control blog in the thread for men to get in shape for cruises.

• 2 weeks later...

I would continue to do some exercise. Walking and stairs may help to keep some weight at bay. You can eat but make wise choices and don't load up on too many carbs. If you like dessert just take two mouthfuls. Sugary drinks will pack it on. I can still diet, lose weight and drink vodka, club soda, with oj or cranberry juice. I know it's not exotic but it doesn't make me gain weight.

• 2 months later...
Try and find a time even if every other day to get some exercise on board at the fitness center... Don't completely lose the good habits you have started...

Good advice. While I never went to the fitness center, I rarely took an elevator and specifically chose an aft cabin at top of the ship far from the them and stairs. Even though I didn't deprive myself (actually splurged on a daily cheesecake, 2x wine, and at least two latte's with Kahlua, and a couple with a soft serve ice cream dumped in!), I lost six lbs. I did drink a lot of water, had a plate of kiwi every afternoon for a snack, ate only the small portions served, and rarely ate after dinner (late night "treat" was always unsweetened African tea and maybe a raisin oatmeal cookie) which required another walk down/up seven flights of stairs. The only downside (short term) was the aching ankles/calves from stairs, which subsided as I got used to using new muscles - well worth it!! It's been two weeks and I have managed to lose a couple more lbs., by sticking to the no food" after dinner, and one-two kiwi for an afternoon snack. I figure the reduced walking/stairs offsets no more cheesecake or Kahua in my coffee :).

• 1 month later...

We will be on QE for a 15 day canary & 10 day crossing over the holidays. I'm very concerned. [emoji15]. I have health problems that limit my mobility with a cane. Stairs are out [emoji53]. We have worked hard for this trip, I want to enjoy it but don't want to gain - concerned. [emoji27][emoji30][emoji27]

Sent from my iPad using Forums