Live from Silver Muse: What Do You Want to Know?

editor@cruisecritic

Hi -- we're on Silversea's new Silver Muse through tomorrow, departing Sunday, as part of a shakedown cruise (there have been a series of them throughout the last week).

What questions can I answer for you?

Initial impressions, and remember these aren't the "real" cruises you'll be taking, meaning not everything is yet operational (for instance I haven't been onboard on a night when there was entertainment), but still: You get a good sense for things!

*The ship's beautiful, light, airy, contemporary.

*It's spacious, never feels (or has felt) crowded, and there are so many nooks and crannies you can get lost in (or at least find peace and quiet).

*Some of the crew is new and they're all struggling a little bit with iPads for ordering in restaurants but they're trying so hard, it's improving every day, there are some familiar Silversea faces, and they're really quite lovely.

*Speaking of the restaurants (ducking now -- will jump in to thread on the forum about dining reservations and such after this): The food's marvelous! Everywhere we've been. La Dame, the $60 fee place, is elegant and romantic, a good place to celebrate an anniversary. Atlantide -- lovely at both lunch and dinner. And there are so many great casual places. We dined last night at La Terrazza, fabulous atmosphere and great food. Spaccanapoli is the ship's pizza place -- wonderful (though wish there were some salads on the menu too).

*Speaking of La Terrazza -- best design of a buffet (during the day) I've ever seen. Open airy room, alfresco tables, two cooking action stations, just superb.

*Standard cabins are what you'd expect from any luxury line, well laid out, great beds, all bathrooms have tubs, all cabins have balconies. Where you start to see true sumptuousness is in the suites -- but you don't have to splurge extra to be comfortable.

Hope this helps -- happy to answer any questions I can.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Meant to mention that my colleague was onboard for the first shakedown (two nights) and wrote a Hits & Misses piece; it's here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7714

And for photos, another colleague produced an album for Cruise Critic's Facebook page. Link: https://www.facebook.com/CruiseCritic/. You do need to scroll down a bit (it was posted April 4, will try to include a screenshot here).

I'm also just starting to post pics over on my Instagram page -- feel free to wander over there, too! It's public, located at instagram.com/carolynspencerbrown.

Carolyn

PS Won't let me upload the FB screenshot, just look for April 4

Carolyn, thanks so much for sharing your balanced Muse comments--very helpful. And your well written photo captions helped capture the mood & ambiance of each space (connoisseur's corner, restaurants, Tor's observation lounge, et. al.) Also, appreciated Adam's Muse Hits (e.g. pizza, on board singers) Misses (Kaiseki, spa (sad to read this since after (imo) the very underused large pay as you go spa on the Spirit--would have expected the Muse to get a base hit (esp. designing/building steam/sauna space) with its new Spa.

Hi Carolyn, thanks for the information. We have a trip booked on the Muse and after seeing and reading all the great reports we are really counting the days. Two questions, since all of the restaurants are specialty restaurants do any of them change the menu selection during the cruise? Does Kaiseki charge a cover charge for lunch? Thanks again for your great review!

This is a great question, hypercafe (we're just back from lunch with Silversea's president, Roberto Martinoli, and so I asked him about it). The menus definitely don't change or at least don't change over the period of a cruise but here's the thing: In just about restaurant, the menus are long and varied and really offer something for everyone. You can't possibly try everything in a visit or two -- for instance, have dined twice at Atlantide and could another seven times and mix trying new things and revisiting favorites. So the variety is awesome.

As well, with eight restaurants you do get to have as much variety as you want.

One thing we noticed yesterday in La Terrazza, both at lunch (when it's buffet) and at dinner (when it's a service restaurant) is how much fresh produce and fruit and cheese there is. You can really eat healthy and not compromise. Also, the ship is very vegetarian and vegan friendly, and a traveling pal who's gluten free was given a menu that specifically marks up the best choices for the diet he's on.

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn, thanks for the information. We have a trip booked on the Muse and after seeing and reading all the great reports we are really counting the days. Two questions, since all of the restaurants are specialty restaurants do any of them change the menu selection during the cruise? Does Kaiseki charge a cover charge for lunch? Thanks again for your great review!

Thank you for providing us the opportunity to ask you questions. Would you confirm how the dress code will be implemented on the Muse? A recent report indicated that rather than having traditional formal, informal, and casual nights, the Muse was going to define the dress code by restaurant as follows:

Atlantide (Deck 4): Formal

Indochine (Deck 4): Informal

Kaiseki (Deck 4): Informal

La Dame (Deck 4): Formal

La Terrazza (Deck 7): Informal

Silver Note (Deck 7): Informal

Hot Rocks (Deck 10): Casual

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm told no, there's a room service menu only. But -- and we've not tried room service yet (can you believe!!!) the menu looks really comprehensive.

FWIW finally got to Indochine last night, marvelous!!!

Also, in our "Just Back from" post there were some issues with the Japanese sushi bar. Perhaps they've been worked out as met two very hmmmm, cosmopolitan folks who raved about the experience.

Silversea is very interested in feedback so hoping those of you who are setting sail soon will post either on boards or reviews once you get home. The WiFi's good here :)

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn.

Thanks for sharing. Don't know if you have time to answer this:

Besides room service menu, can you order from any other dining room or rooms when dining in your suite?

Great question, Stumblefood, and you are right -- it's by restaurant. Certainly folks on Silversea are pretty stylish, even when casual, but the only two formal restaurants are Atlantide and Le Dame. People were formal but it wasn't ballgown formal. And the dress codes mixed once you got into public areas. But again, people dress quite well onboard in the first pace :)

Carolyn

Thank you for providing us the opportunity to ask you questions. Would you confirm how the dress code will be implemented on the Muse? A recent report indicated that rather than having traditional formal, informal, and casual nights, the Muse was going to define the dress code by restaurant as follows:

Atlantide (Deck 4): Formal

Indochine (Deck 4): Informal

Kaiseki (Deck 4): Informal

La Dame (Deck 4): Formal

La Terrazza (Deck 7): Informal

Silver Note (Deck 7): Informal

Hot Rocks (Deck 10): Casual

Thank you.

Great question, Stumblefood, and you are right -- it's by restaurant. Certainly folks on Silversea are pretty stylish, even when casual, but the only two formal restaurants are Atlantide and Le Dame. People were formal but it wasn't ballgown formal. And the dress codes mixed once you got into public areas. But again, people dress quite well onboard in the first pace :)

Carolyn

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question, Carolyn. As a younger couple who enjoy dressing to the nines when we cruise, it'll be interesting to see how this alters the SS experience on the Muse. I have a feeling it'll feel odd enjoying pre-dinner cocktails dressed in formal attire on nights when dining in the two aforementioned restaurants while others do the same in a polo and jeans.

Have a safe trip home!

I have a feeling it'll feel odd enjoying pre-dinner cocktails dressed in formal attire on nights when dining in the two aforementioned restaurants while others do the same in a polo and jeans.

I wonder why? Why does what other pax do bother everyone so much?

As an independent solo cruiser, I just get along and enjoy each cruise my way without worrying what others do.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I wonder why? Why does what other pax do bother everyone so much?
I think you're missing my point JollyJones. We get along with everyone quite well as those here who we've cruised with can attest.

My point is merely I think it'll "feel" different on the Muse as there is no longer formal "nights", but "restaurants". So, whereas in the past the observation lounge, main bar and restaurants (with the exception of the pool grill and la terrazza) all required formal attire on formal nights during dining hours, that will no longer be the case on the Muse. Therefore, the "feel" on the Muse will be different, not better, not worse, just different.

For whatever it's worth didn't see a soul wearing jeans at night, don't think it's allowed, regardless of the restaurant.

Thanks, Stumblefoot -- nice to hear from a fellow X-er who doesn't mind dressing up now and then --

Carolyn

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question, Carolyn. As a younger couple who enjoy dressing to the nines when we cruise, it'll be interesting to see how this alters the SS experience on the Muse. I have a feeling it'll feel odd enjoying pre-dinner cocktails dressed in formal attire on nights when dining in the two aforementioned restaurants while others do the same in a polo and jeans.

Have a safe trip home!

Good news englishusa -- only requires one touch-of-a-button!

Carolyn

On the Muse, have the designers "coupled" the port and starboard elevator controls so that you don't have to push 2 buttons to summon the elevator?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Good news englishusa -- only requires one touch-of-a-button! Carolyn

The WiFi's good here

Speaking of La Terrazza -- best design of a buffet (during the day) I've ever seen. Open airy room, alfresco tables, two cooking action stations, just superb.

Appreciate these great details and follow-ups from Carolyn. Nice "fix" for the elevator controls being joined together. Glad the WiFi is working well and the better design with the La Terrazza buffet design. Any of these items that can or will be "transferred" for use or improvement on the Silver Spirit and other Silversea ships?

Is it your sense that the Silversea family ownership is fully and totally committed long-term to keep operating and improving their brand given the growing financial and market competition from certain of the big, BIG conglomerates controlling the other luxury lines? Other insights and smart guesses as to what comes next with Silversea?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 31,125 views for this visual sharing that includes Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

I think you're missing my point JollyJones. We get along with everyone quite well as those here who we've cruised with can attest.

My point is merely I think it'll "feel" different on the Muse as there is no longer formal "nights", but "restaurants". So, whereas in the past the observation lounge, main bar and restaurants (with the exception of the pool grill and la terrazza) all required formal attire on formal nights during dining hours, that will no longer be the case on the Muse. Therefore, the "feel" on the Muse will be different, not better, not worse, just different.

I agree and do think it will change perceptions on going out for dinner and the mix of people at the bar. It will be different. Whether its a good or bad thing that you don't need to dress up in formal wear on one or two nights, I'm not sure. It wont affect me personally, but my wifes comment was "I really enjoys formal nights when everyone is dressed up". I think I agree. There is no doubt Silversea have changed direction with no MDR and bookings to all restaurants and now the dress code change.

Nothing that puts me off, but I think it will for some but gain support from others.

At least it now explains why my.silversea doesnt show any formal nights listed on any night!

Great news on the lifts. That was always a bit strange they were not linked!

She's ready to go.... and the good news....Small enough to dock in Monaco.... then again that was pretty obvious for a cruise embarkation!

For whatever it's worth didn't see a soul wearing jeans at night, don't think it's allowed, regardless of the restaurant.

Thanks, Stumblefoot -- nice to hear from a fellow X-er who doesn't mind dressing up now and then --

Carolyn

Are white jeans and a silk top not correct wear for an informal dinner in summer in the Med? My 19 year old daughter and I sail July 15, and while we're glad to dress moreso at times, thought California casual would be okay some evenings.

Nancy

Hi, TLCOhio. I was just on another thread in the Silversea forum, and Master Echo reported that Silversea's chairman, Manfredi, was onboard last night checking out how passengers were doing in a variety of restaurants. I definitely got a sense that there's a new spring-in-the-step at Silversea, and the new executive team -- and much of it is really really new though all are highly qualified, respected and accomplished cruise industry executives -- are really excited about making Silversea great.

I think the big challenge for them is going to be how to make each ship fairly consistent so that you're getting a similar experience regardless of the vessel. That's the top priority on the list and that's where the major refurbishments they're putting in place will come in handy.

We're going to continue to stay on top of the evolution of Silversea -- it's quite exciting to see all this new, great energy.

Carolyn

Appreciate these great details and follow-ups from Carolyn. Nice "fix" for the elevator controls being joined together. Glad the WiFi is working well and the better design with the La Terrazza buffet design. Any of these items that can or will be "transferred" for use or improvement on the Silver Spirit and other Silversea ships?

Is it your sense that the Silversea family ownership is fully and totally committed long-term to keep operating and improving their brand given the growing financial and market competition from certain of the big, BIG conglomerates controlling the other luxury lines? Other insights and smart guesses as to what comes next with Silversea?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 31,125 views for this visual sharing that includes Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Hi, TLCOhio. I was just on another thread in the Silversea forum, and Master Echo reported that Silversea's chairman, Manfredi, was onboard last night checking out how passengers were doing in a variety of restaurants. I definitely got a sense that there's a new spring-in-the-step at Silversea, and the new executive team -- and much of it is really really new though all are highly qualified, respected and accomplished cruise industry executives -- are really excited about making Silversea great.

I think the big challenge for them is going to be how to make each ship fairly consistent so that you're getting a similar experience regardless of the vessel. That's the top priority on the list and that's where the major refurbishments they're putting in place will come in handy.

We're going to continue to stay on top of the evolution of Silversea -- it's quite exciting to see all this new, great energy.

Carolyn

Let's hope that doesn't mean eliminating the MDR on all ships. But I really don't think it will matter because imo this experiment of eight restaurants with different dress codes on the same night that one needs to reserve months in advance will soon come to an end. It's all too complicated and removes the whole sense of luxury which is to decide when, where and with whom I want to dine when I want to, not when SS wants me to.

Are white jeans and a silk top not correct wear for an informal dinner in summer in the Med? My 19 year old daughter and I sail July 15, and while we're glad to dress moreso at times, thought California casual would be okay some evenings.

Nancy

There are three dress codes, formal, informal and casual. Jeans surely are casual no matter how you dress them up.