Shore excursions--prices and info

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and have a few questions.

My husband and I are considering the 5 night Shetland/Orkney Islands cruise late August 2018. We have always wanted to go there, so I thought I would do some research and see if any cruise lines visited the area. Fred Olsen came up as one of the possibilities, but the website won't let me look at any of the shore excursions or prices. Apparently, once the cruise has been booked, then one can access that information. I would like to know something about the offerings before considering booking. Have any of you cruised this particular itinerary, and what were some of the shore excursion choices offered by Fred Olsen? (I did research, but couldn't come up with any pertinent info.)

Also, (this is off-topic, but I'm hoping some U.K. friends can advise)----we would be flying to London and then would have to get up to Newcastle to catch this cruise. Would it be "safe" to arrive the same day of the cruise, or should we try to arrive the day before? I've done some research, and the train seems to be the most convenient? Are the trains delayed or canceled, like what happens with flights? Forgive my ignorance, but this is all new to me...:)

Thanks for any and all advice!

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and have a few questions.

My husband and I are considering the 5 night Shetland/Orkney Islands cruise late August 2018. We have always wanted to go there, so I thought I would do some research and see if any cruise lines visited the area. Fred Olsen came up as one of the possibilities, but the website won't let me look at any of the shore excursions or prices. Apparently, once the cruise has been booked, then one can access that information. I would like to know something about the offerings before considering booking. Have any of you cruised this particular itinerary, and what were some of the shore excursion choices offered by Fred Olsen? (I did research, but couldn't come up with any pertinent info.)

Also, (this is off-topic, but I'm hoping some U.K. friends can advise)----we would be flying to London and then would have to get up to Newcastle to catch this cruise. Would it be "safe" to arrive the same day of the cruise, or should we try to arrive the day before? I've done some research, and the train seems to be the most convenient? Are the trains delayed or canceled, like what happens with flights? Forgive my ignorance, but this is all new to me...:)

Thanks for any and all advice!

Can't help with the tours but would suggest you fly into Newcastle via London or Schiphol and stay in Newcastle a couple of days to get over the jet lag. There are plenty of trains between London and Newcastle and they are usually reliable but you would be adding an unnecessary stage to your journey. From information provided on a previous post it would appear that this cruise is popular with American and Australian tourists who add it to their itineraries as an easy way to see the islands.

Pugwash123

We went to Orkney on a cruise. I contacted the local tourist board for excursions and they were very helpful. We ended up doing a private tour with WildaboutOrkney and it was very good.

There is also information on Tripadvisor.

I would spend at least the night before in Newcastle.

I think P and O also offer British Isles tours.

Thank you both for your suggestions and advice! I appreciate it.

We are thinking about taking a day flight from either JFK or Toronto as I don't think I would handle jet lag very well. We would spend a couple of nights in London and then continue up to Newcastle for the cruise. Upon completion of the cruise, we want to fly over to Ireland for a week or so.

Since we want to spend some time in London, traveling to Newcastle by train appeals to us because we would at least be able to see some of the countryside (and the less flying necessary, the happier we are.);) At least I have lots of time to figure this out. Will also look at P & O and do some comparisons.

Thanks again!

the website won't let me look at any of the shore excursions or prices. Apparently, once the cruise has been booked, then one can access that information.

Sorry to tell you that you will not be able to access ship's excursions immediately after you book. Fred says he does not release details of excursions until 6 - 8 weeks before departure, though sometimes they come out a little earlier than that. If the excursion details are available, they will be available for all to search on his website from the cruise in question, but the prices will not show if you are not booked on the cruise and you are viewing them via the "manage my cruises" area (i.e. you are logged in to view your booking).

As stated previously there will be other options which you can search, or you may be able to find the same ports on cruises this summer which may have the excursions showing on Fred's website.

I would not trust a train to Newcastle on the day and I think you will also find that trains leaving early in the day will also be very pricey. Train travel is expensive in the UK unless you book a saver, which are only available on non peak travel. Savers do not go on sale until about three months (or a bit less) before date of travel and are non refundable fares. You can pick those up very cheaply though. The prices of those tickets usually go up after release depending on how many have been sold. You can look at the booking systems for this year to see what I mean, using one of these websites:-

https://www.thetrainline.com/train-times/london-to-newcastle

https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.com/our-destinations/trains-to-newcastle/

On searching Fred's site for something else, I realised that the trips for Kirkwall and Lerwick are there if you look for the ports of call. The following page can be found by searching Fred's site (not quite sure how I got there) and both Kirkwall and Lerwick are on this list. If you scroll past the list of cruises for the respective ports (if you click on one), you will find you can access a list of trips at the bottom of the page, by clicking "access ........". Does not mean that will be an accurate list for your cruise, but gives a general idea.

http://www.fredolsencruises.com/places-we-visit/region/british-isles-cruises

I know this info. used to be available, but did not think that info was still available after website changes.

Edited by tring

Hi, tring. Thank you for the link to the port info and also the trains. I did see the port summaries but wanted to know excursion costs, and your explanation of the policy of not releasing that info until a few weeks prior to the cruise cleared that up.:) I will do more research on the Shetlands and Orkney islands.

One thing that does concern me is if there is more than one ship in port, the area might be overrun by hoards of people. Renting a car for a day might be an option, but I just don't know if that's a good idea or not.

Thanks again for your help.

My thoughts and prayers are with the people of London.

I can give you an example of the pricing. We did the half day (pm) trip to Skara Brae & Skial House which included entry and a very knowledgable guide, a stop at two sets of standing stones and at scapa flow. That was £40 per person in 2015.

In my view it was extremely good value just for the commentary from the guide alone far less the convenience of being taken every where.

The pm trip gave us time to go into Kirkwall in the morning and visit the Cathedral etc and to visit a distillery.

There is lots you can do on your own in Orkney, Scapa and Highland park distilleries are not too far and you can pre book a tour. The Cathedral and town are interesting but the jewel in the crown in Skara Brae. There is a local bus that will take you there but with only one day in port a tour probably makes the most of it.

We did our own thing in Lerwick, the museum for example is on the way from the dock to the town.

Which other ports are on the itinery and are they walk off or tenders? The tender ports can really limit the time you have to DIY.

Thanks so much for the pricing example. The cost seems very reasonable.

None of the ports on this itinerary--Invergordon, Kirkwell, and Lerwick--are listed as tender ports. Of course, that could change, but that's what the cruise website is showing as of now.

I do have another question, and if you or anyone else can help, I'd appreciate it: Exact departure/arrival times are not given when I look at the itinerary. For example, upon arrival back in Newcastle, it states "Early A.M." Since we would have to arrange flights to Dublin on that day, what's the earliest flight we should book?

Thank you!

Others may have more precise timings for Newcastle. We usually go from Rosyth or Leith and most pax are off by 10am at the latest at these ports. Add in travel time to the airport and check in times and I would personally look at late afternoon.

For Orkney and Lerwick you can definitely do your own thing if you wanted to, but the tours are also a good option.

Just a word of warning, Invergorden is a very small town and very welcoming but if you want to see the main sights you are on the other side of the Kessock Bridge. If you get stuck on the wrong side of that bridge for any reason ( eg with a hire car or taxi) there is no other plausible way back to Invergordon. If you are into Shakespeare most of the ships offer a tour to Cawdor Castle (MacBeth) and also to the battle field at Culloden, which is quite haunting.

They will normally pipe you off at Invergordon so have your camera at the ready. They also usually have locals on the pier to give you information.

If you do decide to go it alone then don't be scared to ask the locals at any of the Scottish ports for help. We are a friendly bunch here in and most folks are happy to help tourists to find things.

Thanks so much for the information and also the web links. You folks have been so helpful. I know this trip is over a year away, but I like to glean as much information as I can to help with planning. Now I have to figure out which London train station/hotel/area to stay in before heading to Newcastle. Should we use Paddington?

Thanks so much for the information and also the web links. You folks have been so helpful. I know this trip is over a year away, but I like to glean as much information as I can to help with planning. Now I have to figure out which London train station/hotel/area to stay in before heading to Newcastle. Should we use Paddington?

We have used the Great Northern Hotel before which is situated next to Kings Cross station, the station you will require for the train to Newcastle. May I suggest for your journey to Newcastle you buy off peak first class tickets and reserve your seats. In the past we have used a website called Londontown.com which has a good interactive hotel map.

Pugwash 123

Pugwash, thank you for the hotel suggestion for Kings Cross. I will look into it.

When we arrive at Heathrow, what's the best option for getting to the hotel? I've read about taking the subway, but it sounds a bit confusing (not used to dealing with that type of transport). Should we arrange for a car service?

Heck, we've never even been on a train, so getting from London to Newcastle will be an adventure! ;)

Pugwash, thank you for the hotel suggestion for Kings Cross. I will look into it.

When we arrive at Heathrow, what's the best option for getting to the hotel? I've read about taking the subway, but it sounds a bit confusing (not used to dealing with that type of transport). Should we arrange for a car service?

Heck, we've never even been on a train, so getting from London to Newcastle will be an adventure! ;)

If you stay in a hotel at Kings X then you take the Picadilly Line from LHR direct to Kings X no changes. To buy the train ticket to Newcastle, buy it direct from the operator, which in this case will be East Coast. They have their best priced fares about six weeks before the travel date.

Are there people to assist with luggage getting to the Piccadilly line, or do we fend for ourselves? And will there be room enough without annoying others? We would have 2 overhead bin/carryon size bags, plus possibly one larger bag. Coming from Heathrow I'm assuming there would be many people doing the same, but we're new at this so please excuse my never ending questions!:D

Are there people to assist with luggage getting to the Piccadilly line, or do we fend for ourselves? And will there be room enough without annoying others? We would have 2 overhead bin/carryon size bags, plus possibly one larger bag. Coming from Heathrow I'm assuming there would be many people doing the same, but we're new at this so please excuse my never ending questions!:D

I don't know your personal circumstances but whenever we visit a foreign country we always book a private transfer. It may cost more but it is nice to be met at the arrivals hall by a driver who will look after you and take you direct to your destination. If you decide to use a private transfer make sure that you do your research to ensure you are dealing with a reputable company. In my experience there is little room for luggage on the tube and it can be very crowded during rush hour. The operator for the London Newcastle journey is now Virgin Trains East Coast. Make sure you book a train that goes all the way through to Newcastle so that you don't have to change trains mid journey.

Pugwash123

I posted the link for Virgin NE in #5. The other link I gave (thetrainline.......) will give you the same tickets. The advantage of the train line is that you can register an interest to be notified when the "advance saver" tickets come on sale, though we find that the notification comes a few days after they are in fact released by Virgin and prices often go up in that time, so we tend to keep checking the Virgin site once the tickets for the previous week or so have been released. Once advance saver's have been released, and if still available (they are withdrawn once a certain number have been sold), they will still be cheaper than the full price tickets though. We buy Virgin tickets about every 3 months and have never known the advance saver ticket prices to be cheaper than when first put on sale. Currently they are being released about 11 weeks prior to travel (I previously said it is a bit less than 3 months prior), though timing can vary. You do need to check trains for different departure times as prices do vary, but generally the best prices are on the off peak trains.

I agree that you need to book seats, (which the booking system will automatically take you into), and first class is worthwhile. We have been able to use the Virgin first class lounge in Euston Station for snacks and non alcoholic drinks before our West Coast train journeys and there appears to be a Virgin first class lounge in KIngs Cross, where the East Coast trains leave from. First class also gets you drinks on the train (and some food - sandwiches and cake or an apple or similar if travelling mid week), as well as having better seats and luggage storage. Sadly, over the last 6-9 months we have found the advance saver, first class tickets have not been available at the cheap prices they used to be, but we do treat ourselves at times :)

The London Tube is doable, but must admit, I personally hate it. It is not as bad off peak of course, but there are always people who have no patience and will push past etc. - like in any Capital city I suspect, so nothing meant against London people - just not what we are used to at home. On balance I would prefer to avoid it if carrying luggage and particularly valuables, but price of a transfer may encourage me to use it. It is a good means of transport for use around London though.

You can book assistance at main line train stations, but do not think that is available on the tube system.

Edited by tring

Just a thought but given the stress of crossing London with luggage and the cost for that and the train fare, would you not consider simply flying from Heathrow direct to Newcastle?

There are direct flights.

The underground from Heathrow is quite do-able even with a cruise amount of luggage if you are going somewhere on the same line and don't have to change trains. There is lift access to the platforms at Heathrow and at a number of other stations including Kings Cross. (tfl.gov.uk will tell you what stations have stepfree access). As the Heathrow stops are at or near the end of the line the tube is rarely crowded on boarding and you can find a seat and a place for your luggage.Then it doesn't matter too much if it gets crowded later. It is also vastly cheaper than other methods ( £3.10 or £5.10 depending on time of day)

I can give you an example of the pricing. We did the half day (pm) trip to Skara Brae & Skial House which included entry and a very knowledgable guide, a stop at two sets of standing stones and at scapa flow. That was £40 per person in 2015.

In my view it was extremely good value just for the commentary from the guide alone far less the convenience of being taken every where.

The pm trip gave us time to go into Kirkwall in the morning and visit the Cathedral etc and to visit a distillery.

There is lots you can do on your own in Orkney, Scapa and Highland park distilleries are not too far and you can pre book a tour. The Cathedral and town are interesting but the jewel in the crown in Skara Brae. There is a local bus that will take you there but with only one day in port a tour probably makes the most of it.

V

We did our own thing in Lerwick, the museum for example is on the way from the dock to the town.

Which other ports are on the itinery and are they walk off or tenders? The tender ports can really limit the time you have to DIY.

We did the same excursion in Orkney and can confirm it's one of the best we've ever been on. Skara Brae is an outstanding site and we talk about it often. Friends of ours who came with us went to the distillery and were disappointed because the whiskey on offer was so expensive. We bought a very nice bottle of Scapa at Skial House and it cost us £25.

We did the same excursion in Orkney and can confirm it's one of the best we've ever been on. Skara Brae is an outstanding site and we talk about it often. Friends of ours who came with us went to the distillery and were disappointed because the whiskey on offer was so expensive. We bought a very nice bottle of Scapa at Skial House and it cost us £25.

Highland Park may be more well known but Scapa whisky is by far the best in my humble opinion. We bought a couple of bottles at Skiall House as well as it was a really good price. Scapa stopped the age statement on bottles in 2015 so if you still happen to have your (unopened) £25 bottle and it has an age statement on it, it is worth a lot more now. We drank one and saved one in the loft and are glad we did!

I was more impressed with Skara Brae than I was with the pyramids in Egypt (I am slightly partisan being Scottish;))

Our bottle of Scapa has long gone! I agree with what you say about Skara Brae because it provides such a wonderful insight into how people lived in the Neolithic Age. The Egyptian pyramids are magnificent but not unique as we have also seen examples in Mexico and Chile.

Sorry to tell you that you will not be able to access ship's excursions immediately after you book. Fred says he does not release details of excursions until 6 - 8 weeks before departure, though sometimes they come out a little earlier than that.
We are on our first FO cruise in five weeks time - they sent a brochure of excursions with details of ports of call tours several months ago.

If travelling from London to Newcastle by train I would suggest looking at the Trainline website for timings and prices etc.

https://www.thetrainline.com/