Silversea's 2017-8-19 new sales

meow!

We received notice of a series of new sales by Silversea yesterday. Just as an example, we will cite our voyage, Montreal to Fort Lauderdale on September 28 this year, voyage 6719, a classic (basic) cabin. The list price (before Venetian discount and travel agency rebate, etc.) was 2 x $8950 (and we booked early, right after it was open for booking).

Now, if you would take their special discount, by taking their "50% off second suite", the fare would be $(12900 + 12900/2) / 2 = $9675 per diem, if you can find a couple of friends to share the deal with you. So, the new deal, at its best, is still more expensive than the original deal !

Any comment from anyone?

P.S. In fact, not only Silversea is having this type of sales, Seabourn, Oceania and other cruise lines are all having some deep discount sales. It looks like the cruise industry is not doing well as a whole. The recent (last few years) euphoria of over building new ships has set the cycle on lean years for the foreseeable future. Looking at the Silver Muse will be seeing the best of the last decade.

Edited by meow!

We received notice of a series of new sales by Silversea yesterday. Just as an example, we will cite our voyage, Montreal to Fort Lauderdale on September 28 this year, voyage 6719, a classic (basic) cabin. The list price (before Venetian discount and travel agency rebate, etc.) was 2 x $8950 (and we booked early, right after it was open for booking).

Now, if you would take their special discount, by taking their "50% off second suite", the fare would be $(12900 + 12900/2) / 2 = $9675 per diem, if you can find a couple of friends to share the deal with you. So, the new deal, at its best, is still more expensive than the original deal !

Any comment from anyone?

P.S. In fact, not only Silversea is having this type of sales, Seabourn, Oceania and other cruise lines are all having some deep discount sales. It looks like the cruise industry is not doing well as a whole. The recent (last few years) euphoria of over building new ships has set the cycle on lean years for the foreseeable future. Looking at the Silver Muse will be seeing the best of the last decade.

Not sure that it implies things are are that bad. If SS can still get more for selling this cruise now with an artificial discount, then how is that bad? If they were selling with actual discounts over the original price then that might be a different story.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

More often than not the offers do involve massaging of figures and usually they do involve a hike of the previous price offered. Not always though. I hit the jackpot with my Caribbean cruise in march. Not only were discount air fares involved (when I booked) they added after a 2 category upgrade or $1500 OBC and a month later a $1000 OBC.

It was like Christmas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More often than not the offers do involve massaging of figures and usually they do involve a hike of the previous price offered. Not always though. I hit the jackpot with my Caribbean cruise in march. Not only were discount air fares involved (when I booked) they added after a 2 category upgrade or $1500 OBC and a month later a $1000 OBC.

It was like Christmas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we got one of those too. muse 1/3/18

I cruise solo and a few times I have noticed that SS is advertising a reduced solo supplement on a cruise I have already booked (e.g. down to 10% from 25%) but every time this happens, the base price has been raised so that the price with the lower solo supplement is exactly the same, to the penny, as that which I had paid. They must have a computer algorithm that massages the price for them to avoid giving any actual discount.