Australia/New Zealand

just returned from British isles in Caribbean princess. Fabulous trip. Four of us left deposit for next trip. We really want Australia/New Zealand. We need help with airfare. Business class points are outrageous. Cost of business class ticket outrageous. We live in US. Has anyone come across an affordable fare? Thank you

Golf mom

dbender12@verizon.net

just returned from British isles in Caribbean princess. Fabulous trip. Four of us left deposit for next trip. We really want Australia/New Zealand. We need help with airfare. Business class points are outrageous. Cost of business class ticket outrageous. We live in US. Has anyone come across an affordable fare? Thank you

Golf mom

dbender12@verizon.net

Keep an eye out for companion sales. Qantas and Virgin Australia have these at various points throughout the year, they provide great value for paid business class airfares. You just have to be ready to jump on it.

Unfortunately with points redemption, you need to really be ready to book as soon as flights are released, usually 10-11 months prior. You don't mention which airline programs you have points with, but it is worth doing a check to see if points you do have can be transferred to any partner airlines for redemptions.

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go to Qantas' website and Air New Zealand's website and sign up for their deal emails. They have sales from time to time.

Also don't be afraid to fly east to get west...IOW fly to Europe then to Australia/NZ.

Also sometimes there are deals to, say, Singapore or Bangkok, then you can get a flight to Aus/NZ.

Some people fly to Hawaii and spend a few days to get used to the time change, then on to Aus/NZ. It's still a long flight but not much of a time change.

Or fly coach to LA, spend a day or two, then to Hawaii, spend a day or two, then on to Aus/NZ. That way coach may be more bearable.

Lots of options from NY

Ask you question on the cruise air subforum. Here's a link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128

Go to Qantas' website and Air New Zealand's website and sign up for their deal emails. They have sales from time to time.

Also don't be afraid to fly east to get west...IOW fly to Europe then to Australia/NZ.

Also sometimes there are deals to, say, Singapore or Bangkok, then you can get a flight to Aus/NZ.

Some people fly to Hawaii and spend a few days to get used to the time change, then on to Aus/NZ. It's still a long flight but not much of a time change.

Or fly coach to LA, spend a day or two, then to Hawaii, spend a day or two, then on to Aus/NZ. That way coach may be more bearable.

Lots of options from NY

Ask you question on the cruise air subforum. Here's a link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128

Sounds like good advice here.

If you can book and pay in Aussie Dollars, the current exchange rate will give you a 25 percent discount.

• 3 weeks later...

Golf mom

dbender12@verizon.net

We used air miles for one way in Business. 500,000 miles for two people one way. Then we purchased Premium Economy for the other...It's not great but it's better than coach. Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

Golf mom

dbender12@verizon.net

As mentioned both Qantas and Virgin ( Australia - not part of Virgin America) both run specials and you can see their high shoulder and low seasons visiting their website, to sign up for a Qantas deals email you need to go to Qantas "Red E Deals" for the very best deals the other airline do not forget is Air New Zealand, fabulous airline and the business class is set out in a "honeycomb" and service is first class, they have a deal on now for around US$3200 return and you will not buy better than that and to be fair considering business class and first class fares on all US airlines when you consider the miles you are travelling you are getting a bargain, the best price I have seen for both Qantas and Virgin SYD / JFK is around the US$ 3700.00 but all airfares a very much subject to seasons, the other is to island hop and get yourself to Hawaii and then onto Syd and Hawaiian Airlines are agressive in that market so maybe worth a thought, hope that helps:)

• 1 month later...

Some great advice here already.

Do check the equipment as well - my last trip to the US from Australia was on the new United dreamliner and it was a better plane by a significant margin for those long flights. Air New Zealand are top notch to travel with, and they're also running a very comfortable dreamliner with a stop in Aukland for Australian passengers. It's possible that you could be comfortable enough in coach to make the trip work. My last trip was something like 32 hours long by the time I did all the connections, and I do feel that the dreamliner helped me get through. More legroom makes a world of difference!

Just did some searching on a few random dates in February 2018 and, from Honolulu, you can get a return Premium Evonomy to Sydney for around US$1300....or Business for around $3700. Then add on your flight from the mainland....

We have a Holland America cruise ending in Sydney Feb 1. Looking so forward to seeing New Zealand and Australia but the flights were challenging.

We are spending Christmas in Hawaii with our daughter and her family- so nice of her to move there! Anyway, flying SW from Florida to Las Vegas. Very reasonable first class from there to HNL on Hawaiian or Delta.

After Christmas flying Air New Zealand from HNL to AKL in premium economy. Spending a few days there and then short flight to Sydney for the cruise.

Now for the best find. Business/First was $8800 each from SYD back to Florida. Impossible. But AKL to SFO in Polaris Business was $1500 each. Added on short flight from SYD to AKL with United points. From SFO back to Florida in First again with more United points.

I know this sounds confusing but sure is saving us money- and keeping us mostly from the dreaded Economy seats. And we have done many long flights in those uncomfortable seats.

Hope this helps someone. You have to get creative!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have a Holland America cruise ending in Sydney Feb 1. Looking so forward to seeing New Zealand and Australia but the flights were challenging.

We are spending Christmas in Hawaii with our daughter and her family- so nice of her to move there! Anyway, flying SW from Florida to Las Vegas. Very reasonable first class from there to HNL on Hawaiian or Delta.

After Christmas flying Air New Zealand from HNL to AKL in premium economy. Spending a few days there and then short flight to Sydney for the cruise.

Now for the best find. Business/First was $8800 each from SYD back to Florida. Impossible. But AKL to SFO in Polaris Business was $1500 each. Added on short flight from SYD to AKL with United points. From SFO back to Florida in First again with more United points.

I know this sounds confusing but sure is saving us money- and keeping us mostly from the dreaded Economy seats. And we have done many long flights in those uncomfortable seats.

Hope this helps someone. You have to get creative!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

AKL to SFO business for $1500 is a steal !! Good job !!