Airfare prices are killing me - just want to vent...

mixplix

We are booked on the AOS leaving San Juan 3/31 to 4/7. We were on AOS in 2015, and are looking forward to this different itinerary (ABC's plus St. Martin). However, I've been checking airfares since I booked in May 2017, before flights were even available, and you have got to be kidding me with the prices from NYC to SJ. I can't get a flight under $650 (and I need 4). Friggin Jet Blue is like 1500 per ticket! We've been to SJ many times in the past, and the average airfare was $350. I just can't justify spending 3k in airfare (yes, we have some miles, so one, maybe two of the flights would be free - the only up side to my wife's credit card spending habits) just to get to SJ.

I keep checking, and trying different options (Stewart, even Philly). Southwest's return date only extends to 4/6, and I need 4/7, so maybe that will work. Sigh...

We are booked on the AOS leaving San Juan 3/31 to 4/7. We were on AOS in 2015, and are looking forward to this different itinerary (ABC's plus St. Martin). However, I've been checking airfares since I booked in May 2017, before flights were even available, and you have got to be kidding me with the prices from NYC to SJ. I can't get a flight under $650 (and I need 4). Friggin Jet Blue is like 1500 per ticket! We've been to SJ many times in the past, and the average airfare was $350. I just can't justify spending 3k in airfare (yes, we have some miles, so one, maybe two of the flights would be free - the only up side to my wife's credit card spending habits) just to get to SJ.

I keep checking, and trying different options (Stewart, even Philly). Southwest's return date only extends to 4/6, and I need 4/7, so maybe that will work. Sigh...

I would say give it some time... Usually flight prices are high when they first come out and then go down some and then pop back up when it creeps closer to the date. I understand your frustration though... My wife and I have a cruise out of Tampa in March 2018 and right now flights from MKE to TPA are crazy high.... usually they are dirt cheap. IDK what the reason is.

I desperately wanted to go on that cruise, but the airfare from anywhere in the Ohio area to SJU is over $1000 per person round trip. And since I won't make that flight the day of we would have to pay for a pricey hotel on top of that. Completely unrealistic! We opted for the 8 night Freedom cruise over the same week. The cost of the cruise was a bit more, but the airfare was much more in line with what we expected to pay.

This is my fear with my cruise next August. I have enough points that either the flight out, or the flight home will be free, but who knows what they'll be. Right now United seems to be fairly cheap (bad press can be good I guess), but doubt that will hold into next year once tickets open up.

You may have already tried this, but we are sailing Allure 4/1 -4/8/2017 and ran into the same thing (actually much higher in some cases). We are staying an extra day in FLL after returning from cruise and airfare dropped close to 50%. I am using Hilton points to stay for free but even with the room cost factored in, you will end up ahead.

As other posters have mentioned, look for prices to move up and down between now and then. I just wanted to make sure we got the flight times we wanted. Good luck.

Dan

I'm looking at Southwest flights to SJU for next March, and they don't even have prices for the "Wanna Get Away" column. All they have are the Business and Anytime rates for around $600 one way. Thanks Royal for cancelling my Jan/Feb cruise on Adventure.

I hear ya....when you add in the cruise fares, incidentals, gratuities, excursions, transfers, airport parking and expensive flights...cruising is becoming unaffordable.....expecially, when traveling with a family..

I know many cruises are sold out and the bean counters are planning for additional capacity, but, from my perspective we have to consider alternative vacations

Spending several thousand dollars to stop in Nassau for six hours doesn't make sense

We booked our flights the day Southwest released them. I had been watching but had to wait until the next release date because our return flight was in the next batch of releases. We ended up with round trip from Milwaukee to SJU for $343/person. I was happy with that. Checking the prices now they have gone way up. Glad I booked as soon as they were available!

I'm looking at Southwest flights to SJU for next March, and they don't even have prices for the "Wanna Get Away" column. All they have are the Business and Anytime rates for around $600 one way. Thanks Royal for cancelling my Jan/Feb cruise on Adventure.

My flight to Copenhagen in May is $433. Air2Sea with Lufthansa. [emoji2]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I hear ya....when you add in the cruise fares, incidentals, gratuities, excursions, transfers, airport parking and expensive flights...cruising is becoming unaffordable.....expecially, when traveling with a family..

I know many cruises are sold out and the bean counters are planning for additional capacity, but, from my perspective we have to consider alternative vacations

Spending several thousand dollars to stop in Nassau for six hours doesn't make sense

I would agree with you if people are limited to when they are available to cruise. My wife, son (2 years old), and I are lucky enough to be able to cruise whenever is cheapest and almost religiously book with the Kids Sail Free promo (the only "real" sale RC offers IMHO). Since we are able shop around a bit more I still feel cruising is cheaper than going to an all-inclusive. Also, I think cruise lines aren't so much selling for the itinerary anymore... they are selling the ship as the "resort" and the ports of call are an afterthought. It is interesting watching this continue to play out with many new ships on the horizon.

Overall I think cruising is still pretty good bang for your buck but it is definitely inching (in the wrong direction) towards people considering different vacationing options.

I think it's simply too far out to get decent prices. I find the lowest fares are generally 60-45 days out...
Agree....

We find Southwest fares to SJU are lowest about 60 days out.

Like others have said....look at flying back the day after.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

My flight to Copenhagen in May is $433. Air2Sea with Lufthansa. [emoji2]

Apples and oranges.

Our flight to Rome via United is $450.

I never realized spring break in SJU would be triple normal prices.

A couple months ago Southwest had 2 cards that would each give you 60,000 points. Charging the $2000 on each card required within 3 months got you $124,000 points total and a companion pass (110,000 points to get it) good for this yr and next. You could have flown to SJU round trip twice for the 4 of you free. Right now it's only 40,000 points for each card. Better than nothing.

A couple months ago Southwest had 2 cards that would each give you 60,000 points. Charging the $2000 on each card required within 3 months got you $124,000 points total and a companion pass (110,000 points to get it) good for this yr and next. You could have flown to SJU round trip twice for the 4 of you free. Right now it's only 40,000 points for each card. Better than nothing.

I just got the card this year for that exact reason. Just got my 60,000 points and I plan on cancelling it right away. My wife will get the card in a year or two (hoping its 60,000 points again) and will do the same thing. AWESOME DEAL!

Yup, it's seasonal pricing.

Just checked American from PHL. I was going to sail on the Adventure in December. Round trip, non stop, PHL/SJU = $421. Your week? $641. Times four DOES hurt.