Denali or Rocky Mountaineer?

babs135

In an ideal world we would do both, but sadly it's more likely to be one or the other. I really can't make my mind up as to which I'd choose, so I'm looking for help.

Which would you choose and why? If you've been lucky enough to do both which one did you prefer (difficult to answer so will accept couldn't say :D)

Thanks in advance

When is the trip? would you be doing this on your own or as a tour?

Since you don't indicate what your interests are, when you read descriptions about Denali and the Mountaineer, what appealed to you about each? The destinations are quite different and different again depending on when you travel.

If you want to read some first hand experiences about the Mountaineer, look at MVPinBoynton's recent trip report. And in his signature you'll also find his trip report from 2014 which included a cruisetour to Denali. Lots of great photos.

Cornishpastyman1 did the Rockies via rental car. Here is his trip report for the cruise, and in his signature you'll find videos of the cruise and the Rockies. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2085124

Looking for June/July 2019 (!) so simply exploring all angles at the moment. We wouldn't be booking anything before mid 2018 (I'm in the UK which means that once a deposit is paid we would be committed to the trip) so I have time to shop around.

We don't even have a ship or itinerary in mind yet, anything and everything is still open. The scenery of the Mountaineer appeals and Denali is different again which appeals. Must say I hadn't thought of any sort of road trip and might look at that option, but I think in the end we would prefer it as some sort of package deal.

Plenty of time for research :D

Must say I hadn't thought of any sort of road trip and might look at that option, but I think in the end we would prefer it as some sort of package deal.
Fly into Calgary to begin the bus tour ending in Vancouver one-way and then go on the cruise.

Or end the cruise in Vancouver.... explore the city and board the bus to Calgary.

Again, if you have the time, but not the money..... Key West is a good option.

As long as you're comfortable driving on the other side of the road, driving to Denali is VERY simple. Once you get out of Anchorage, you follow a 2 lane way hwy all the way to Denali, 240 miles. And having a car gives you access to other lodging options besides the large cruisetour hotels outside the park entrance ..... B&Bs, cabins, inns, etc.

You could do a one way cruise and tack on 4 days for Denali.....1 day for a leisurely drive there, 2 days for the park, then another day to return to Anc.

If you dont want to drive, the Alaska Railroad has one departure per day and you could stay at the Princess Lodge so that you'll have transportation to/from the train depot and to/from the park. Or train one-way and bus the other (ParkConnectionBus has 2 runs most days)

As long as you're comfortable driving on the other side of the road, driving to Denali is VERY simple. Once you get out of Anchorage, you follow a 2 lane way hwy all the way to Denali, 240 miles. And having a car gives you access to other lodging options besides the large cruisetour hotels outside the park entrance ..... B&Bs, cabins, inns, etc.

You could do a one way cruise and tack on 4 days for Denali.....1 day for a leisurely drive there, 2 days for the park, then another day to return to Anc.

If you dont want to drive, the Alaska Railroad has one departure per day and you could stay at the Princess Lodge so that you'll have transportation to/from the train depot and to/from the park. Or train one-way and bus the other (ParkConnectionBus has 2 runs most days)

All of this excites me. Never thought about the Railroad but have seen programmes about it on the TV(!)

Lots of food for thought - good job I enjoy doing research :D

If the train interests you, the railroad has package tours. They're not cheap, so compare the cost of a pkg tour VS the cost of booking the train + hotel on your own. (If you're staying at Princess Lodge or somewhere else near the entrance there are plenty of dining opportunities within walking distance.) And getting inside Denali is a bargain activity ..... the shuttle bus to Eielson Visitor Center at Mile 66 is an 8hr excursion for only $34 plus $10 admission.

http://www.reservedenali.com/tours-shuttles/shuttles/

Railroad packages:

https://www.alaskarailroad.com/travel-planning/packages/summer-packages

Look at youtube to see video of the train ride to Denali. There are lots of them. This is just one example.

YouTube is a great resource. Look for Mountaineer video as well.

Have fun with your research !