My pros and cons of Anthem Bermuda sailing

JinxyB

I sailed Anthem of the Seas 8/12/17 5 nights to Bermuda and wanted to share my thoughts. I was very intrigued by the Quantum-class ships and had been eyeing this sailing for months but the price was ridiculous IMO. I ended up finding a pretty good guarantee rate in early June that was a few hundred dollars off the rack rate, so I took a gamble and booked a guarantee interior room. My room was assigned a few days later, and I was very pleased to be assigned an interior with virtual balcony, 12203.

This was my 42nd cruise, so I do consider myself an experienced cruiser. I have sailed Royal 7 times before this (Oasis, Allure, Freedom, Vision, Majesty, Enchantment x 2). I have also sailed on Carnival, Disney, Norwegian, Princess, and Celebrity. I was quite put off with Royal after I sailed on Freedom of the Seas in 12/2014 and experienced the corporate greed of the company (bent over a barrel figuratively), but I have cautiously come back a few times after that and been marginally satisfied (except with Majesty). I do consider myself an equal opportunity cruiser, but find myself drawn to the newer mega ships, especially when traveling with my child, due to the variety of activities offered. We were most interested in the iFly feature on this ship, as well as activities in the Seaplex. My child is an avid indoor rock-climber, so I usually try and book a ship with a rock wall on it, too.

We were probably a handful of people on the ship who were not from NY, NJ, or the northeast area. People we met seemed shocked that we would actually fly here to cruise, lol. I did find some rude and pushy people, but that is common on any sailing, IMO.

Pros:

- Very easy embarkation. I liked checking in with the people wandering around with iPads. After checking in, I thought we would have to wait to board, but was pleasantly surprised to just walk on the ship around 11:30 or so.

- I was not able to book any activities like North Star or iFly pre-cruise. I downloaded the Royal IQ app and was able to book these two items along with shows within minutes of walking on the ship (more on the app later).

- The ship is gorgeous and very modern in design. We loved the art work throughout the ship and spent time on the cruise wandering each deck checking out the art.

- Interior room with virtual balcony was very spacious and well designed. I think this is the biggest interior room I have ever stayed in. Plenty of storage, good A/C, and roomy bathroom with a shower door.

- Very friendly staff overall. Probably the best room steward I have ever had, and we befriended a few waiters in the Windjammer.

- Innovative designs on ship such as Two70. There was a lot of cool technology on the ship.

- Covered pool. We had lousy weather the first sea day, so it was nice to swim in an indoor pool.

- Presence of lifeguards at every pool. Was surprised to see them at the Solarium pool.

- Solarium was a really neat design with the tiered pools, but it was simply too hot in there (similar to a greenhouse) when it was hot and sunny outside. Fine during lousy weather, which I get that the ship was built for cool-weather cruises.

- North Star was cool but was kind of gimmicky and a little boring. It would have been better if it went over the sides of the ship, but that is the thrill-seeker in me.

- Autism of the Seas had a group on this ship, and I was impressed how they ran their group, from what little I saw from an outsider looking in. The kids seemed to be having a good time.

- iFly was simply awesome and I'm so glad we were able to do this before the machine broke down!

Cons:

- Royal IQ app crashed frequently and the wifi on the ship was frequently down (did not buy wifi package, only used it to access the app). The last sea day, the app did not work at all (unable to access planner). For such a technologically advanced ship, I was disappointed in this.

- Chair hogging at an all-time high to me. I was going to sit in an unoccupied sun lounger (no belongings on it), but was rudely told it was taken. :mad:. Royal needs to enforce the policy of removing belongings from chairs.

- Seaplex: Was worn down and dirty. The area by the hot dog counter was filthy ever time we went over there, which was often because I kept checking to see if the Freestyle machine was working. Crumbs and ketchup/mustard everywhere on floor and tables, water? puddles on floor making this a falling hazard. Freestyle machine only had full-sugared drinks (we don't drink this). Only 3 out of the 5 Xbox machines were working, and that was a stretch. All of the foosball tables were in some state of disrepair and it made playing difficult. The air hockey was free the first day, but it was $1.65 a game after that. Robbery! With the constant wear and tear of the equipment, Royal should replace or maintain this properly.

- The Seaplex activities were only offered in random blocks of 3 hours (and not every day), which was simply not enough for all the people on the ship. Disney-like lines to ride bumper cars, etc. We were able to ride three times because we went the first day and 4PM the last port day with minimal lines. Hint: do everything/all activities the first day! We were able to do the trapeze thing on the first day, which was pretty fun. Roller skating for the general population only offered 8.5 hours over 5 days. Rock wall closed due to weather-totally understandable, but then with unpredictable hours.

- Not enough activities while in port.

- Everything shuts down for bad weather-only Seaplex and indoor pool for 1500+ kids on first sea day.

- Pools and kids water area unexpectedly closed and at random times. Poop in pool?

- Not enough Freestyle Coke machines, and this is a complaint with every Royal ship I have sailed on that offers this machine. They had 2 machines in Windjammer-sometimes one because the other was broken. When Windjammer closes, where do you go? Machine in Seaplex was broken. That leaves trekking down to deck 4 Sorrentos where there were 2 machines. It baffles me why they don't have one at the open pool deck??? I get that you can go to a bar and get a fountain soda, but that defeats the purpose of the Freestyle machines.

- ONE FUNCTIONAL ICE CREAM MACHINE for the entire ship with hours 11-6. There were 2 machines, but only one was operational, causing long lines snaking around the deck. More $$$ grubbing from Royal to visit their shops and buy gelato. There was real ice cream at Windjammer for lunch and dinner, so this took away some of the sting. Also, sometimes you just want an ice cream cone while taking a break from swimming, and who wants to dry off and get changed to go into Windjammer?

- No edible hamburgers at Windjammer. I took a bite and gagged. The meat quality was so poor, I wouldn't even feed it to a dog. Money-grubbing to visit Johnny Rockets.

- Overall poor meat quality at Windjammer. Some type of pork and turkey composite at the carving station that was hideous. Breakfast ham and prime rib was barely edible.

- Overall food not replenished in a timely manner at Windjammer. Variety was pretty good, but had to ask staff for more salad greens, veggies, etc.

- Impossible to get a seat at Windjammer during peak times. IMPOSSIBLE.

- Lack of shopping. I'm not looking to buy a Hublot watch or Cartier jewelry. I'm looking for my ship ornament I collect, and some nice ship-specific souvenirs. What I found were cheap poor quality T-shirts and no ship ornaments (just an ugly looking medallion). Picky, but I was disappointed and actually WANTED to buy something, anything!

- Hours of Adventure Ocean and timing of evening shows: were not conducive to view a show that starts at 7PM, because that's when AO opens and you will miss the beginning of show dropping your kid off. Later shows will cross into paid babysitting and my kid doesn't stay up past 10PM anyways. They did have a matinee showing of We Will Rock You at 2:30PM the last sea day but we chose to enjoy the beautiful weather instead. AO does have dining at 5-7PM but I don't choose to dump my kid there to eat for 2 hours and then 2 more hours for a show. My child would be unhappy spending 4 hours at a stretch in AO.

- Unable to go standby at iFly if you have already done it. I get this on a 5-day cruise, but on a 9-day? No.

- No waterslides. The other activities are cool, but I'd rather have slides to go on every day then the skydiving I can only go on once.

- Charge for room service: this has been discussed in detail, but I refuse to pay for it based on principle.

- Windjammer should always be open, even between meals and late night for snacks, NCL does this at their buffet and there is ALWAYS something to eat.

- Sorrento's pizza continues to be gross.

I was considering booking the 9-day cruise to Bermuda and the Caribbean next August, but decided against it after this cruise. Don't get me wrong, we had a good time, but the Quantum-class ships are not for us. We are booked on Harmony for next March, but we are also exploring land-based vacations as well to change things up a little bit. I have all the Daily Compass' and would be happy to answer questions if I can. You are also free to flame any of my opinions. Thank you for reading.

Thanks for sharing your review.

I have a question about the Freestyle machines. You said they only had full sugared drinks? Was that only one machine or one day, or was it the whole week, all machines? We have always been able to get Diet Coke or sparkling water or "zero" products from the freestyle machines on the ships, including our two sailings on Anthem. Anthem was the worst ship for maintaining those machines, in our experience. One of the two machines was always broken in Sorrentos. When I asked an officer in that area, he told me I was using the machine incorrectly. I handed him my cup and he couldn't get the machine to work either.:rolleyes: He got on his radio and reported it.

Hi,

Thanks for your review. I am an experienced cruiser (87 cruises, including 22 Royal Caribbean cruises), but have never cruised aboard a Quantum class ship. As a result, I decided to book the five-night Bermuda cruise on the Anthem of the Seas that departs on April 28, 2018. I am interested in seeing this ship, but it sounds like it may not be a favorite of mine. I was able to get a good price on one of the studio balcony staterooms.

I recently cruised aboard the Independence of the Seas out of Southampton, England (Aug. 12 - 20, 2017) and the ship was very crowded (I heard that there were over 1200 children aboard). For my cruise on the Anthem, I am hoping that the late April / early May timeframe will mean that the ship will not be as crowded.

I am scheduled for traditional dining, late seating. Did you do traditional dining or open seating?

Chuck

I was on Anthem for 9 nights in July. My first time on a Quantum class ship & have to admit I was a little apprehensive after reading so many negative reviews. I have to say now she is now my favorite ship (have been on 20 altogether). Absolutely gorgeous, ultra modern ship. The chair hogging was also an issue on my cruise - if you didn't have a lounger reserved by 7:00 AM you were basically out of luck, but I've found that to be the case on most ships these days. I never went in the SeaPlex so I can't comment on that, and I don't eat ice cream or drink soda so can't comment on that either, but I really had no issues with the food on my cruise. LOVED the Cafe@270 - even better than the Park Cafe' IMO. Totally agree about the passenger demographic being overwhelmingly NY/NJ. I think I was speaking with a NY accent by the time the cruise was over. Can't wait to go back on this amazing ship.

Thanks for sharing your review.

I have a question about the Freestyle machines. You said they only had full sugared drinks? Was that only one machine or one day, or was it the whole week, all machines? We have always been able to get Diet Coke or sparkling water or "zero" products from the freestyle machines on the ships, including our two sailings on Anthem. Anthem was the worst ship for maintaining those machines, in our experience. One of the two machines was always broken in Sorrentos. When I asked an officer in that area, he told me I was using the machine incorrectly. I handed him my cup and he couldn't get the machine to work either.:rolleyes: He got on his radio and reported it.

The Freestyle machine in the Seaplex was broken in that it only offered full-sugar drinks. The sugar free or zero-calories options were grayed out. The machines in Windjammer and Sorrentos offered all options. I saw a guy working on the machine on day 1 in the Seaplex, but it was never fully operational the entire cruise.

OP thanks for your review. I've been on Anthem 3x and we love that ship. I do agree the ice cream/yogurt machine by the pool seems to be malfunctioning or closed more of the day than it's open.

Thanks so much for the report. Trying to decide between Anthem and NCL Escape for a Bermuda cruise in 2018 and information like this is very helpful.

This is a tough choice. I'm thinking the same thing. I know Escape is really Breakaway with a few more bells and whistles (and more people) but I'm still intrigued to try a ship I've not been on yet (been on Breakaway multiple times already too). I would add water slides to Anthem if I could. Then it would be almost a perfect ship in my eyes! :cool:

Hi,

Thanks for your review. I am an experienced cruiser (87 cruises, including 22 Royal Caribbean cruises), but have never cruised aboard a Quantum class ship. As a result, I decided to book the five-night Bermuda cruise on the Anthem of the Seas that departs on April 28, 2018. I am interested in seeing this ship, but it sounds like it may not be a favorite of mine. I was able to get a good price on one of the studio balcony staterooms.

I recently cruised aboard the Independence of the Seas out of Southampton, England (Aug. 12 - 20, 2017) and the ship was very crowded (I heard that there were over 1200 children aboard). For my cruise on the Anthem, I am hoping that the late April / early May timeframe will mean that the ship will not be as crowded.

I am scheduled for traditional dining, late seating. Did you do traditional dining or open seating?

Chuck

I think I'm getting on board as you're getting off. We're on the May 3rd to Bermuda/Caribbean. I've never been on a Quantum class ship either, but mostly booked for the itinerary/date/number of nights. I do, however, love the Freedom class ships, but have never been on one with that many kids. Anyway, I've read a lot of positive reviews as well, from people who loved the ship. I just can't wait to be on board! Every cruise is a different experience for every person.

I think I'm getting on board as you're getting off. We're on the May 3rd to Bermuda/Caribbean. I've never been on a Quantum class ship either, but mostly booked for the itinerary/date/number of nights. I do, however, love the Freedom class ships, but have never been on one with that many kids. Anyway, I've read a lot of positive reviews as well, from people who loved the ship. I just can't wait to be on board! Every cruise is a different experience for every person.

Hi,

I greatly enjoyed my three previous cruises on Freedom class ships (two prior cruises on the Liberty of the Seas and a prior cruise on the Independence of the Seas) and never experienced any crowd problems. However, these cruises were on "off peak" times and the ships must not have been full. Last week, the Independence was extremely full (there were over 4300 passengers aboard - 700 over double occupancy). I preferred my prior cruises on Freedom class ships when the ships were not so full.

Like you, I am looking forward to trying the Anthem next spring.

Chuck

Hi,

Chuck

I would not expect a lot of kids on your sailing since schools in the northeast will still be in session and spring break for some public schools in the northeast will be the week of April 16th (Patriot's Day). You will still have kids, but I highly doubt you will see the 1,200 you saw on Indy.

We have sailed Anthem twice and it is not my favorite ship, but I am actually looking to book it again if I can get a good price for a week my DH can get off. We found that certain areas, like the Esplanade, can get very crowded. We also found booking near the aft elevators was much more convenient than the forward elevators.

Hi,

I greatly enjoyed my three previous cruises on Freedom class ships (two prior cruises on the Liberty of the Seas and a prior cruise on the Independence of the Seas) and never experienced any crowd problems. However, these cruises were on "off peak" times and the ships must not have been full. Last week, the Independence was extremely full (there were over 4300 passengers aboard - 700 over double occupancy). I preferred my prior cruises on Freedom class ships when the ships were not so full.

Like you, I am looking forward to trying the Anthem next spring.

Chuck

Good to hear! Enjoy that cruise, and take lots of pics. :-) I'm in cabin 13120, so a little concerned about noise from above, but I've already read conflicting reviews on that. I just found the best price on deck 13, surprisingly, and it will be nice to be so close to the "secret" solarium door there.

Just got off the Anthem this past Thursday. My family was not impressed with the layout, especially I believe deck four. Only one side of the ship is open and gets to be a bottleneck at that point, especially when they have all the sales going on around it.

The wifi being down was very annoying, especially when you have to still work on vacation. I have since called Royal (800-256-6649) and received 2 days of service refund ($68 total) So worth the call if you haven't done it yet and paid for the service.

The food was actually the best we have had in a few years on Royal, which was really nice! We did not pay the upcharge for their other restaurants.

Had ifly reservations but, alas, it was for the last day, and it was down. This was an extreme bummer. We wanted to rent out the Flowrider for an hour, and have paid to do this in the past, but there were no openings.

The elevator banks was so slow, and the one closest to my cabin always had one down and out of service on deck 2. They were also being used by crew to take luggage up and down, which I found odd, as they have their own behind the scene.

Anyway, I can say I did the Anthem, and I can also say I will not be doing it again.

On a bright note, if you were on this sailing, my friend won the Belly Flop contest, and was also dressed in drag on team 1 in Quest competition with my bra on! LOL and if you saw a women walking around in a wedding dress, that was ME! My husband and I renewed our vows (privately) having our friend Re Marry us in a little ceremony on the hall way down to 270 lounge. Wonderful memories, great family fun and super photos!

I could only get My Time Dining and the openings for reservations were after 9PM (too late). I didn't want to go down earlier and wait on line, so we just ate in Windjammer for dinner the whole time. We did a week at Disney World in July, so I was very averse to waiting in lines this cruise (I know, who goes to Disney in July).

If I'm not mistaken, don't ALL Royal Carib ships now have rock climbing walls?
I don't know the answer to this, but I was speaking in general, not just Royal ships. Carnival does not have rock walls, but they have water parks and ropes courses on their newer ships. NCL mega ships have both slides, rock walls, and awesome ropes courses...Escape does not have a rock wall now that I think about it.

Anyway, I can say I did the Anthem, and I can also say I will not be doing it again.

On a bright note, if you were on this sailing, my friend won the Belly Flop contest, and was also dressed in drag on team 1 in Quest competition with my bra on! LOL and if you saw a women walking around in a wedding dress, that was ME! My husband and I renewed our vows (privately) having our friend Re Marry us in a little ceremony on the hall way down to 270 lounge. Wonderful memories, great family fun and super photos!

Awww...congrats on your vow renewal! I actually did see someone in a wedding dress, so the chances of it being you were very high! I also would not choose Anthem or a Quantum-class ship again, especially at the prices they are changing. I'm glad you got a refund on your wifi-I would have been very upset had I been trying to do actual work! Sorry you did not get to do iFly-it was really a lot of fun and the guide took my daredevil son way up in the tube and flipped him around. Now that you mention the elevators, they were painfully slow and I hate the fact that most of the pictures in them have been defaced (and Royal has not fixed this). Luckily we were on deck 12 so only took the elevator down to deck 4 and 5, the rest we walked.