Scenic Amsterdam to Budapest

Dolebludger

This is a brief review of our August 30 to September 14 river cruise. First, we selected Scenic as a truly all inclusive line. All drinks, all tips (even for tour guides and drivers) and just about everything else is included. This is an Australian line with about 75% Australian guests. The interior decor of the ship is somewhat stark but very fresh, and the food seemed to be geared toward Australian tastes (rather than American) which we had fully expected. It was rather good, but not quite on the level of a lux ocean cruise line. The tours of the ports and nearby attractions were excellent. Each tour consisted of no more than 34 guests (usually less) and headsets were provided so we could always hear the tour guides. On many days, there were choices of activities, and one could change plans with only a timely request to the Cruise director. Tours included admission fees to all sites. We had a nice dinner in a castle, heard a concert by a contingent of the Vienna Symphony, visited places like a black smith shop, toured breweries and wineries, and so forth. At Nuremberg, the Danube water level was too low for the ship to proceed to Passau. So guests were moved by bus in a 2 1/2 hour ride to Passau where our belongings were placed in an identical room in an identical ship, and the cruise proceeded to Budapest. Onboard entertainment was educational, including a glass blower, a Zither player, Austrian waltz dancers, and Hungarian folk dancers. Dress was very casual at all times, while shorts ere not allowed in the dining room for dinner, jeans were allowed. Jackets, particular kinds of shirts, and ties were never required on the ship.

This was our first river cruise, and we booked a junior suite (it was the last room left when we booked). It had an interesting balcony with roll down windows which could be rolled up to make the balcony part of the "suite". This "suite" was supposed to be 250 square feet in size, and it may have been, but it seemed too small for us. Should we do another river cruise on this line, we'll book something larger.

There was one point of confusion on the subject of laundry service, which we find important on a 14 day cruise. We were told by Scenic before we left that all wash laundry was included for our suite. I looked on Scenic's web site under "butler service" and therein it was stated that "concierge" laundry service via butler was included in all rooms on European cruises. In our cruising vocabulary, "concierge" means "included without charge". But onboard, nobody seemed to know about this inclusion. We showed the Cruise Director that site page, and all our laundry after that was free of charge. I shall not make any issue of the charges before that point, as they were very small. But I suggest all considering a cruise on this line get this matter cleared up through your TA before booking.

As this was our first river cruise, I cannot compare this with other lines. All I can say is that we had a very good time, the low water problem was handled seamlessly, the tours and events were excellent, and the educational entertainment was excellent given the small size of the ship. The Cruise Director (known as J. J.) was right on top of things. We have known a number of Australians in the past and for us, the fact that fellow guests were 75% Aussy was a plus for us.

Edited by Dolebludger

Thanks for the report. My Scenic cruise experience is very much like yours although we were on the lower level and knew that laundry service was not included. It was nice to leave the ship and not owe another penny. I had one travel agent try to tell me that almost all river cruises were all-inclusive. When I asked what about tips, she had to admit that tips were not included on the line she was suggesting. Also cocktails, wine, beer and soft drinks are included all day long which is not the case on some lines.

The small size of our cabin didn't bother us since we were not in the room that much. On our cruise, about 75% of the passengers were Canadian with the rest being from the U.K., Australia and the U.S.

Nancy,

Our exact experience in our search for a TRUE all inclusive European river cruise. Some lines advertise that they are "all-inclusive" when indeed they are far from it. Beer and wine at lunch and dinner does not equal all inclusive. On our cruise, local beers and wines were brought on each day, and they too were included.

Thank you for your review!

We have a Scenic cruise booked for next June. I have read or heard that some type of free laundry benefit will be included in 2016, which will be helpful. Even if it is one bag per stateroom or passenger per cruise, it will help!

I am so glad to hear that the tours are good, in addition to being all inclusive the included tours are what really steered us towards Scenic. I just read another review by a recent Scenic cruiser and he also said that the dining, both in the dining room and buffet, were below his expectations as was the service levels at dinner. I hope they improve in this area!

thanks again!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

If you go to Scenic's web site and look under "butler services" you will see the last sentence states that butler "concierge" laundry service is included on European cruises. If I were you, I would show this to my TA and have him/her contact Scenic about it. As you know "concierge" is a fancy way of saying "included". Scenic either needs to honor that, or remove that language from its web site.

I've never interpreted "concierge" as "free". It just means that someone will arrange something for you. A hotel Concierge provides custom arrangements like tours, theatre tickets, dinner reservations; it doesn't mean that its free. Semantics!

As far as food and drink: The buffets were fine and sometimes really good. The lunch time seafood buffet included oysters flown in from France. I saw them carrying the crates onboard. There were two buffet dinners; the rest had table service. At times, the service was a little slow but never horribly so. Keep in mind that everyone has a chance to eat at the special Portobello table which serves an excellent Italian meal with Italian wines. For passengers on the upper deck, a special Table l'Rive meal is served with a special menu and wines.

If you don't like the wine they are serving, you can ask for something else. Someone I was sitting with one night tasted three or four different wines until they found one they liked.

I've never interpreted "concierge" as "free". It just means that someone will arrange something for you. A hotel Concierge provides custom arrangements like tours, theatre tickets, dinner reservations; it doesn't mean that its free. Semantics!

As far as food and drink: The buffets were fine and sometimes really good. The lunch time seafood buffet included oysters flown in from France. I saw them carrying the crates onboard. There were two buffet dinners; the rest had table service. At times, the service was a little slow but never horribly so. Keep in mind that everyone has a chance to eat at the special Portobello table which serves an excellent Italian meal with Italian wines. For passengers on the upper deck, a special Table l'Rive meal is served with a special menu and wines.

If you don't like the wine they are serving, you can ask for something else. Someone I was sitting with one night tasted three or four different wines until they found one they liked.

You are right, Nancy....Actually the term "concierge" comes from the french and means the person in charge of the front door, acting as agent for the owner....who will provide extra services for guests such as tickets, reservations, taxis, etc. At the suite levels on some river cruises and most ocean cruises, the service of the butler is included but it doesn't mean it's free. The concierge on river cruises will help the passenger find places to visit, shop, dine, and assist in obtaining reservations, entrance tickets, transportation, etc. again the services are included but since the concierge is provided a gratuity of about 11 Euro per day, their services cannot be considered free. As for suite level cabins that include a butler, I can't imagine any of them charging extra for laundry services. On Vantage if you're in a suite with butler service, that service includes free laundry....but you still better tip the butler or who knows who's laundry you'll get back!

Edited by Hydrokitty

I would ask that we not derail this thread by over-discussing the meaning of "concierge". There was more language on the "butler service" page of Scenic's web site, coupled with the representation via phone that laundry was included in our room, that would lead one to think that it was included. Look at this site page and see for your self.

In fact, if we had paid for laundry on the entire cruise (which we didn't) the cost would have been under $100. And in fact, we really liked this Scenic river cruise and will undoubtedly cruise with them again. Only next time, we will be more diligent in checking out what laundry (if any) is included so we can pack accordingly.

To change the subject a bit, for those who don't know, Scenic is an Australian-owned line. That accounts for the majority of guests on our cruise being Australian. Also, Scenic has been conducting a rather massive promotion campaign in Canada, accounting for the majority of guests being Canadian on another Scenic cruise as another poster reported. As we were told, next move for Scenic will be a large promotional campaign in the USA, along with the addition of cruise itineraries, perhaps including some on US rivers. I am eager for these things to happen, as my age makes 15 hours of flying to the river ports a bit taxing.

All our fellow guests seemed to really like this cruise and line. The only complaints I heard were from one of the three American couples aboard. They said the food was not up to the standards of lux ocean lines like Crystal, Regent, Seabourn, Silversea, and the like. Well, it wasn't -- and we never expected it to be. The ship is too small and the activities too intensive to allow a big deal to be made out of dining. Plus, it is a big deal to me that Scenic was the only river cruise line that I could find that is beverage all-inclusive, and included some very "classy" events.

So I would like to leave the "laundry issue" and go on to more major factors, with only the suggestion that prospective Scenic cruisers have their TA confirm what laundry services are included at their room level, and pack accordingly.

To add to the above post, when we returned home, we both received a package from Scenic with the same language about butler service, stating that the butler would provide "concierge laundry service,because you won't have time to waste doing laundry" -- or words to that effect. Now if those words don't mean that laundry is included, what do they mean? Do these words mean that a butler will pick up my laundry and have it done for a fee, instead of having the room steward pick it up and have it done for a fee as is the case on most cruise lines? That is rather a laughable interpretation of the wording in Scenic's ads, as why do I care who picks up my dirty laundry? Every time I have seen the words "concierge service" in a cruise line web site or advertisement, it has meant an included service.

Sorry to post on a rather minor detail, but I'm just a "truth in advertising" advocate,

I tend to agree with you dolebludger, especially since Scenic bills itself as all inclusive. Maybe because they are an Australian company there are different interpretations? As I said in a prior post, starting in 2016 there is a limited free laundry benefit included on Scenic cruises, so perhaps they received other complaints.

Another "different interpretation" that I have become aware of...Scenic's brochure states that dinner in the dining room is "open seating". However in reading several recent reviews I find out that, unlike on ocean cruise lines where "open seating" means that you can arrive for dinner anytime between certain specified hours, Scenic's definition of open seating is apparently that dinner in the dining room is at a fixed time and open seating refers to the tables themselves not being pre-reserved.

Not a deal killer, but definitely not what my take was looking at the brochure! We like flexibility, one person actually said there was a mad dash to the dining room for dinner each evening. Hope that isn't the norm!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Another "different interpretation" that I have become aware of...Scenic's brochure states that dinner in the dining room is "open seating". However in reading several recent reviews I find out that, unlike on ocean cruise lines where "open seating" means that you can arrive for dinner anytime between certain specified hours, Scenic's definition of open seating is apparently that dinner in the dining room is at a fixed time and open seating refers to the tables themselves not being pre-reserved.

Not a deal killer, but definitely not what my take was looking at the brochure! We like flexibility, one person actually said there was a mad dash to the dining room for dinner each evening. Hope that isn't the norm!

River cruising is a different industry from ocean cruising and has its own terminology. This is the common definition of "open seating" in river cruising. Because of the small size of the galley, it would be very difficult for a river ship to allow passengers to drift in to dinner whenever they want. They must deal with all the appetizers, then all the main courses, then dessert.

On my recent Scenic cruise, there was no "mad dash" to the dining room. People seemed to drift in over a 30-60 minute period.

Unless a brochure specifically says that a service is included or complimentary, I don't expect it to be free. I'm very aware that advertising language is often slanted to make you think you are getting more than is actually provided.

On my recent Scenic cruise, there was no "mad dash" to the dining room. People seemed to drift in over a 30-60 minute period.

We had a similar experience on Uniworld last month - the only time we were told to be at dinner at 7 pm was when we signed up for a special chef's dinner held on the deck and limited to 20 people. It was spectacular!

If you go to Scenic's web site and look under "butler services" you will see the last sentence states that butler "concierge" laundry service is included on European cruises. If I were you, I would show this to my TA and have him/her contact Scenic about it. As you know "concierge" is a fancy way of saying "included". Scenic either needs to honor that, or remove that language from its web site.

Wow, that to me says included. I don't see any other way to interpret that statement.

On Avalon we used the laundry services often and ended up with a bill for $115 after 15 days. I never tried to economize or wash in the sink. Sent it out in the morning or evening before and it was back and beautiful by 6pm.

On Avalon last October it was pretty much a mad dash. I would say that at 7:05PM the dining room was 95% in the room. There were a few people who typically came later, as there was a family from Spain that spoke very little English who would arrive together or separately and typically ate together at the far forward table beside the breakfast / lunch buffet serving area.

I think the mad dash is the norm, but I could be completely wrong.

jc

To add to the above post, when we returned home, we both received a package from Scenic with the same language about butler service, stating that the butler would provide "concierge laundry service,because you won't have time to waste doing laundry" -- or words to that effect. Now if those words don't mean that laundry is included, what do they mean? Do these words mean that a butler will pick up my laundry and have it done for a fee, instead of having the room steward pick it up and have it done for a fee as is the case on most cruise lines? That is rather a laughable interpretation of the wording in Scenic's ads, as why do I care who picks up my dirty laundry? Every time I have seen the words "concierge service" in a cruise line web site or advertisement, it has meant an included service.

Sorry to post on a rather minor detail, but I'm just a "truth in advertising" advocate,

I would have to agree with you ....I think Scenic slipped up here. There's only one way to interpret the wording (no matter what your opinion on the origin of concierge is :)) and that's laundry is included for people in the butler class. I hope you get reimbursed for the charges.

Let me say a few things more on this subject. We were not the first guests to bring up the laundry matter to Scenic's on-board staff, but we were the first to show that staff a copy of what was on the line's own website. I have raised this matter only to inform future cruisers to clarify it with Scenic's home office before booking. My pre cruise investigation indicated that Scenic just may be the best all-around river cruise line. While we've taken only this one river cruise, I remain of that opinion, in spite of this small issue.

One reason CC is so useful is that many travel providers are playing fast and loose with terms like all-inclusive, suite, and concierge using them contra to their accepted meanings. CC gives us the truth of the matter. IMO, it is generally sloppy marketing. The Federal Trade Commission is supposed to enforce federal laws against false and misleading advertising in interstate commerce. But in recent years the FTC has been very lax in this. I suspect these travel providers aren't even running their promotional material by their legal departments anymore.

So my advice to future Scenic guests is that they get something in writing (like an email) from the home office as to whether they will or will not have included laundry service before or at booking, and take that writing with you. But I am not suggesting that you disregard serious consideration of Scenic. We will very probably cruise with them again.

Let me say a few things more on this subject. We were not the first guests to bring up the laundry matter to Scenic's on-board staff, but we were the first to show that staff a copy of what was on the line's own website. I have raised this matter only to inform future cruisers to clarify it with Scenic's home office before booking. My pre cruise investigation indicated that Scenic just may be the best all-around river cruise line. While we've taken only this one river cruise, I remain of that opinion, in spite of this small issue.

One reason CC is so useful is that many travel providers are playing fast and loose with terms like all-inclusive, suite, and concierge using them contra to their accepted meanings. CC gives us the truth of the matter. IMO, it is generally sloppy marketing. The Federal Trade Commission is supposed to enforce federal laws against false and misleading advertising in interstate commerce. But in recent years the FTC has been very lax in this. I suspect these travel providers aren't even running their promotional material by their legal departments anymore.

So my advice to future Scenic guests is that they get something in writing (like an email) from the home office as to whether they will or will not have included laundry service before or at booking, and take that writing with you. But I am not suggesting that you disregard serious consideration of Scenic. We will very probably cruise with them again.

And you should cruise with them again....they delivered the product and you were satisfied with it....big difference now though is now you are wise to their advertising and will never be "boondoggled" again. At least it wasn't a terribly expensive education like some have had on these pages. I'm glad you're willing to give them another chance...many people would just right them off entirely.

• 2 weeks later...

As a matter of fact, we have booked on Scenic for August 15, 2016, and are working out air now, We have booked a larger room called a "Royal Suite" (though I doubt it will be a true suite). And our TA has been adequately assured that laundry WILL be included with that suite. I still feel the Scenic web page was misleading concerning included laundry, and still recommend that anybody booking Scenic get this matter clarified as to their intended cabin at time of booking. But overall, the cruise was so good and enjoyable that it would not be in our best interests to "cross them off our list" over the laundry issue.

As we are up in years, we are doing our long distance travel while we still (barely) can, and saving shorter, domestic trips for later. Even now, long airline flights in coach are just impossible for us. Mainly, I think, because airlines have been shrinking the passenger space in coach out of sheer greed. (As you my be able to tell, we are no fans of airlines!) Even first/business class on 10 hour flights is getting grueling. But the onboard experience is so good that we'll try it one more time.

I have the 2016 Scenic brochure (NZ edition).

It states:

Laundry concierge. Our service takes away the hassle of washing whilst on board. A complimentary bag of clothes will be laundered for you on every cruise. It does mention later on that this is for all cabins.

DIAMOND DECK - Two pieces of complimentary clothes pressing each day.

Our web page in the US about this on the Scenic site has changed just a little since I pulled it up before our cruise in late August. Here in the US it now states that concierge laundry service is provided in all cabins. No limit is stated. IMO this was only a slight wording change, with no change in the meaning (and IMO is still misleading unless unlimited laundry is included for all)). The Scenic web site here leaves much to be desired. Very difficult to navigate. Before we booked our August, 2016 trip my wife had found a page on that site stating that unlimited laundry was definitely included for the Royal Suite we booked. But now, we can't find that page. We have asked our TA to get IN WRITING whether full laundry service is included in the Royal Suite, If we are told it is not, we may re-think the booking as it is a few months before cancelation penalties kick in. When I get some definitive information on this matter, I will post it right here. Hopefully with additional information about laundry in other types of suites and cabins as well.

To make matters more confusing, I just stumbled upon a review on this board of a Scenic cruise in Russia in June, 2015 where it was stated that drinks were included at lunch and dinner only, and drinks at other times were at extra charge. All drinks WERE included 24/7 on our August 30-Sept 14 Amsterdam - Budapest cruise with no problem. So, while we enjoyed our Scenic cruise enough to book with them again, it seems that Scenic needs to be a bit more forthcoming and consistent about what is included and what is not on there web site and promotional material.

Edited by Dolebludger

River cruises in Russia are quite different from the rest of Europe, so it is possible that Scenic doesn't include all alcohol all the time there even though they do in France and Germany.

When I see a webpage listing benefits that should apply to me, I always make a PDF -- including headers and footers to show URL and date -- and file it with that cruise. [i do this to cover my own memory lapses, but it would be handy later to show the cruise line.]

But when it comes to the term "concierge," I would not assume this means "free." Hotel concierges arrange bookings and taxis for you, but they do not pay the fares. I take this as distinguishing their full-serve laundry service from a self-serve laundromat onboard. And frankly, if the choice is between paying a reasonable fee for "concierge" service and taking our valuable time in a laundromat -- I'm happy to pay!

JVilleGal,

I did not say I would cancel. I said we would "re-think" the matter. Scenic does not give Royal Suite accommodations away, to say the least. And, just a few days ago, my wife was able to access a part of Scenic's web site stating laundry is included in that suite (as well as a number of other perks), and now we can't find it. Plus, we have found that the major airline provider in our area (United) would charge the two of us $30K for business class air to and from this cruise! Obviously, our TA is looking for alternatives that allow us to check luggage from origin to destination and fly business class for much less. This is in addition to the fact that my wife was told by Scenic by phone that laundry service would be included in our Junior Suite on our cruise just concluded, and initially, it wasn't.

So the matter of whether laundry service is included in the fare for the 2016 cruise is becoming a straw that could break a camel's back.

Host Jazzbeau,

If you read posts above on this thread, you will see that other seasoned cruisers believe that the word "concierge" when combined with the word "laundry" means that it is included in the fare, in "cruise language". If it does not mean this, what does it mean? does it mean only that a "butler" picks up and delivers the laundry -- rather than this being done by a room steward as on mass market cruises? And if that's all it means, why did anybody think it was something worth the advertising space.

Edited by Dolebludger