Rhine cruise - Ama or Avalon

Doglovertoo

Quality trumps quantity for me and food is subjective, which is something we can all agree on.:)

It has been several years since our last Avalon cruise (Avalon Affinity, Avalon Luminary 2x, Avalon Panorama) as, after the last one on Panorama, we decided to try AMA and totally enjoyed the entire experience.

Next we experienced Uniworld and then Scenic, both of which we enjoyed. AMA remains our favorite, and we now have three river cruise lines that we enjoy and that are on our short list; that gives us plenty of options..

Based on recent comments from others - including CC posters - who have similar tastes and experience to ours, things seem pretty much the same on Avalon now as they were when we were aboard in terms of food, service and overall standards. No need to spend time and money to confirm that for ourselves.

We have friends that took an AMA tour in 2015 and an Avalon tour this year. They were very happy with both and didn't see much difference in the overall quality of the cruises. They did like that AMA had bicycles and a slightly younger demographic, but thought that Avalon gave a better value.

There are 6 of us considering a cruise in October 2017. I'm curious if you can give any advice in choosing between the two carriers? This will be a first river cruise for 4 of us and a 2nd river cruise for two. They previously were on Ama. Thanks.

So, Doglovertoo, has this helped? At the risk of oversimplifying, we've seen what we often see. Unless they have had a really bad experience (high water, low water, etc.), people are generally pleased with their first river cruising experience, and most don't change lines.

For this discussion we did have a couple of posters who'd cruised both lines, and they had slightly different views of the two lines. I think that most of the cruise lines deliver a quality product. If you check out the comparison in the sticky, you'll see that Cruise Critic compares AMA to the the Four Seasons and Avalon to the Hyatt Regency--neither is too shabby.

Good luck with your decision. I suggest getting quotes from both lines and looking at the "cost per day." For me that's a good metric for me to ponder the question, "Is what I get extra on line A worth $X per day over what I get on line B."

FuelScience

FuelScience it has been helpful. We have received quotes for both and after reading these posts, I'm surprised that our quote for Avalon is higher. We are going to a river cruise seminar on Tuesday at our TA's office so maybe that will help with the comparison too. I have learned a lot from this conversation and appreciate all of the input.

The closest to an "objective" comparison that I can recommend is the Berlitz River Cruising in Europe (2016-2017) by Douglas Ward. You can probably find the book at a public library. I don't think I can quote the entire entries because of copyright, but under "fair use" I will provide these representative passages:

• "AmaWaterways spends considerably more on high-quality food ingredients and wine and on hotel crew service training than any other river cruise company. The company is also known to offer the highest levels of customer care and friendliness in the river cruise industry."

• "Avalon operates, but does not own, its own vessels. Over half [its ships] have beds that face the river. Gratuities and all drinks (except premium brands) are included in the cruise price, but there is a strong emphasis on extra onboard revenue generated by selling optional excursions and premium-brand drinks."

I strongly suggest you get the book and read the full entries, which in addition to the capsule reviews of the cruise lines also has lots of information about choosing itineraries, and detailed ratings of each river ship.

< "Avalon operates, but does not own, its own vessels. Over half [its ships] have beds that face the river. Gratuities and all drinks (except premium brands) are included in the cruise price, but there is a strong emphasis on extra onboard revenue generated by selling optional excursions and premium-brand drinks.">

I have never known Avalon to include either gratuities or drinks. From their website:

Choice of complimentary wine, beer or soft drinks will be included with dinner on Avalon Europe river cruises. In Europe, Asia and South America, coffee and tea are available free of charge throughout the day from "early riser" breakfast through dinner.

Edited by caviargal

The closest to an "objective" comparison that I can recommend is the Berlitz River Cruising in Europe (2016-2017) by Douglas Ward. You can probably find the book at a public library. I don't think I can quote the entire entries because of copyright, but under "fair use" I will provide these representative passages:

• "AmaWaterways spends considerably more on high-quality food ingredients and wine and on hotel crew service training than any other river cruise company. The company is also known to offer the highest levels of customer care and friendliness in the river cruise industry."

• "Avalon operates, but does not own, its own vessels. Over half [its ships] have beds that face the river. Gratuities and all drinks (except premium brands) are included in the cruise price, but there is a strong emphasis on extra onboard revenue generated by selling optional excursions and premium-brand drinks."

I strongly suggest you get the book and read the full entries, which in addition to the capsule reviews of the cruise lines also has lots of information about choosing itineraries, and detailed ratings of each river ship.

This is a very helpful book -which I got at the library. While we had already booked our first river cruise with Ama before getting the book, I found much useful info.

interesting thread. wonder why the op is restricting their options to 2 brands? as others have said the individual needs may differ so that will guide their choice.

we like the rooms on Avalon but have noticed changes in food and staffing. perhaps a different catering contract has been implemented in recent years. cruise directors can also be an issue on our 8, 4 have been excellent.

not much difference in price between Avalon and APT/ama, we would chose the same sort of room.

we are yet to cruise with ama but we have travelled with APT. luckily there are many choices now just a matter of research and finding a good fit for what you require.

for luxury the new crystal cruises look appealing.

FuelScience it has been helpful. We have received quotes for both and after reading these posts, I'm surprised that our quote for Avalon is higher. We are going to a river cruise seminar on Tuesday at our TA's office so maybe that will help with the comparison too. I have learned a lot from this conversation and appreciate all of the input.

I am surprised that Avalon quote is higher than AMA; in this case AMA may be a better value because they are somewhat more inclusive. Both lines' websites show special offers that are worth checking out.

I am surprised that Avalon quote is higher than AMA; in this case AMA may be a better value because they are somewhat more inclusive. Both lines' websites show special offers that are worth checking out.

That's what I'm thinking too about Ama too. Need to do and comparing.

We just returned from the Rivers & Castles Tour on AMA Dante, and highly recommend it!! This was our first river cruise, and hopefully won't be our last!

Like others have mentioned, different things (like food) appeal to different folks. We are foodies, and found the food on the AMA ship to be outstanding! But, if you're not a "foodie" some of the dishes on the Chef's recommendation may not appeal to you. But, they offer 3 or 4 options on main courses.

We just returned from the Rivers & Castles Tour on AMA Dante, and highly recommend it!! This was our first river cruise, and hopefully won't be our last!

Like others have mentioned, different things (like food) appeal to different folks. We are foodies, and found the food on the AMA ship to be outstanding! But, if you're not a "foodie" some of the dishes on the Chef's recommendation may not appeal to you. But, they offer 3 or 4 options on main courses.

Sue,

That's the cruise we're booked on next June . . . Reading comments like this only make me more excited!

That was our first AMA cruise as well and made us big fans of the AMA experience. We had thought our previous cruise on Avalon Panorama (brand new at the time) would be our last as it was very disappointing. Then we cruised on the much older AmaDante and knew we found a line that fit our style and preferences. It was a great experience. Glad to hear it still is.