tulip time Monarch Baroness 4-9-17

anjo2

• 1 month later...

A few things that are on my "not to be missed" list:

1. Keukenhof of course;

2. Aalsmeer flower market;

3. Zuider Zee outdoor historical village;

4. Bruges especially the boat ride and the chocolate shops;

5. Kriek....Belgian beer made with cherries.

Don't know if your itinerary covers these or if they are included or extra. If included, don't pass them up...if extra (Aalsmeer was for us) then book it if you're a flower lover...and one other thing: when flying into or out of Amsterdam try to get a window seat...the view of the tulip fields in bloom will blow your mind!!! :D It is one of the first thoughts that comes to mind when I think about this trip!

Edited by Hydrokitty

• 5 months later...

Hi, Thanks for responding. We are a retired couple from Long Island, NY. Our friends who are from Holland recommended that we spend an extra night in Amsterdam so we arrive on 4/6. Hope we are not early for tulips. Look forward to meeting you.

You may be a bit too early for seeing lots of Tulips. I'm concerned for myself as well and I arrive in Amsterdam April 6th with Avalon leaving on the 9th. My TA doesn't think I'll have a problem but both of us may be seeing more Daffodils which are beautiful in their own right. It should still be a great trip for both of us.

Are you planning on seeing Anne Franks house? I want to see that and the Van Gogh museum. If I have time may take a side trip to Delft.

We visited Amsterdam late in April 2015 and saw the fields in full bloom-breathtaking! There is a poster on the Trip Advisor Amsterdam forum who, in the past, has posted regular updates about the tulip blooming. She is a photographer who goes by the screen name Nring. It is probably too early for her posts but as the season gets closer, you could check and see if she is posting. I found that others, including visitors, also shared their experiences. I also recall that the blooming season depends on the temperatures and I don't know what that means for this year.

DW and I did the Budapest to Amsterdam with Gate1 in November. Many of our fellow passengers were Gate1 repeat customers, and we will be, too. Our boat, the Sound of Music, is no longer with the upgraded fleet. Nonetheless, it was a grand experience, with all the amenities.

Amsterdam is like London - to paraphrase Samuel Johnson, for there is in Amsterdam all that life can afford. And virtually everyone speaks English well to help you enjoy your time there. Just be open minded...

Holland in April is nice, although it can also be a bit cool, damp and rainy. Like anywhere, the weather is what it is, and always variable. Take an umbrella and waterproof shoes - and that goes for about all of Europe north of the Alps.

Hi, Thanks for responding. We are a retired couple from Long Island, NY. Our friends who are from Holland recommended that we spend an extra night in Amsterdam so we arrive on 4/6. Hope we are not early for tulips. Look forward to meeting you.

You will be too early for tulips in the fields, but Keukenhof always has one or more greenhouses filled with tulips and other flowers.

• 1 month later...
ive just booked a river cruise on it for next october 2017, No absolutely nothing but couldnt resist the great deal.

will be doing lots of research between now and then.

Hi Tara Jane

My husband Stewart and I are also booked Oct 22 Amsterdam to Budapest Nov 5'

If you want to visit the Anne Frank house it is highly recommended that you book tickets in advance online. The ticketing process had changed in the last year so visit the official website for up to date info. Just google Anne Frank Huis.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Anjo2 - We received our documents today! Although it was 30 pages, I was hoping for a bit more detail, specifically the start times for the optional tours in Paris :confused:. We extended in Paris at the end of the trip but wish we would have added a day in Amsterdam as well.

I am now following http://tulipsinholland.com/ on twitter @tulips_holland which gives updates on the tulips.

We are in our mid-fifties, still working, and live in Alabama. We look forward to meeting you as well.

• 4 weeks later...
ive just booked a river cruise on it for next october 2017, No absolutely nothing but couldnt resist the great deal.

will be doing lots of research between now and then.

We booked a great deal on the Monarch Baroness Oct. 8 th leaving Amsterdam. This is our 1 st. river cruise.

We're looking forward to our first river cruise on the Baroness from Amsterdam to Basel on July 16th.

Quite a few people mentioned that they are trying this out because of a great deal they were offered.

It would be interesting to find out how people heard of the deals.

Gary & Mo

Perth, Australia.

Oops - sorry for asking that question, I was just interested to see how people found out about the deals.

Out of interest, the company mentioned by a couple of people is actually not a travel agent, just an email newsletter that compiles the best deals from around the internet & sends out a regular newletter & newsflashes. In my case the newsletter contained a special deal offered by the cruise line directly.

Anyway, in hindsight I certainly understand the reasoning & sorry if it caused any issues.

Gary.