Live from the Mississippi!

Hi Lois-I wonder if this cruise line has specials for solos like the European river cruises have? Maybe they have email specials? Fot those of us in the US there is also a lower cost of getting to and from the cruise. Hopefully you will find a good deal and it will work for you.

Hi, I asked about it........it is close to 5grand.......my cruise to Europe

was less than what they are charging and there are way less choices

of itineraries so no it is not going to work for me. It was between 4 and 5 grand

on all the ones I asked about.

Edited by Lois R

Hi, I asked about it........it is close to 5grand.......my cruise to Europe

was less than what they are charging and there are way less choices

of itineraries so no it is not going to work for me. It was between 4 and 5 grand

on all the ones I asked about.

Wow, Lois, that is just ridiculous! They must be almost doubling the advertised price for solo travelers.

Sharon

Edited by purduemom1

Wow, Lois, that is just ridiculous! They must be almost doubling the advertised price for solo travelers.

Sharon

Hi Sharon:)...I agree....wayyyy too much $$$ for me.:eek:

I don't know what you were looking for, Lois, but I have a friend who just booked New Orleans to Memphis for under $3000, as a single. But that's an inside cabin. There are a couple of single cabins, but on her dates, they were already booked, but with the promo for 2017, one guest in an inside double is under $3000. That includes one night, pre-cruise, in the Hilton Riverside.

Also, to answer CruzinNoony, that same friend found all of her tours listed online, both the complimentary and the premium. She sent them all to me, for help planning! But, she's paid in full (to get $1000 off her cabin). When you pay in full, you are subject to the same $250 cancellation penalty as you are, as soon as you place a deposit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't know what you were looking for, Lois, but I have a friend who just booked New Orleans to Memphis for under $3000, as a single. But that's an inside cabin. There are a couple of single cabins, but on her dates, they were already booked, but with the promo for 2017, one guest in an inside double is under $3000. That includes one night, pre-cruise, in the Hilton Riverside.

Also, to answer CruzinNoony, that same friend found all of her tours listed online, both the complimentary and the premium. She sent them all to me, for help planning! But, she's paid in full (to get $1000 off her cabin). When you pay in full, you are subject to the same $250 cancellation penalty as you are, as soon as you place a deposit.

Hi May, what cruiseline and when? To be honest, I am not sure what

I am looking for;)....I am looking around at some different things.

And for 3 grand? I would definitely prefer a window.

Just to add to the solo conversation, there are a number of solo cabins onboard, but like the other poster mentioned, you need to book in advance!

Carolyn

We’ve had a couple of questions regarding the quality and types of tours available on American Queen. Our itinerary was a little bit different in some ways because it was a themed cruise – bourbon’s been interesting to learn about!

CruzinNoony -- you can book them ahead of time, and if you really have your heart set on a tour, I'd highly recommend it. The Makers Mark tour (there were two of them), which was complimentary, filled up before we ever boarded -- big thanks to both Makers Mark and American Queen for adding an extra tour to meet demand. The tours are easy to find on American Queen's website.

Key observations:

*The Hop On Hop Off Bus concept is frankly brilliant. Love it. Love the way that many of the museum admissions are included so all you do is walk in, show your keycard, and … It saved me $11 in Paducah at the National Quilt Museum. That can add up after three museums, say, a day in port. Also love that the two drivers on the custom buses “drive” with the ship (after we leave port they head by road to the next place). It’s nice to see familiar faces. Also, each has a local guide onboard to give an intro and some advice.

*The premium tours have earned raves from the passengers I’ve talked to who have taken them. There’s nothing over $80 (most are less) including a full day “Kentucky Champions’ Experience (this one from Louisville focused on Kentucky Derby) that got incredible reviews. Cost? $79.

*One disappointment about visiting some of the charming small towns, like Cape Girardeau, Missouri; Paducah, Kentucky; and Madison, Indiana, is that often when we’re in port the shops and restaurants are closed. “Everywhere we’ve been it feels like Sunday morning,” one passenger muttered, and it’s true. While it’s nice to admire these small towns, the ambience is sort of ghost-town-like. Fortunately museums were always open…. This is not the fault of American Queen; the towns know when the ship’s coming. It’s more (and this was confirmed by a tourism executive at one of them) the responsibility of each of the towns to try to coordinate opening hours with ship visits.

*All but one of the specially-added bourbon themed tours were complimentary, which was pretty awesome.... There were trips to Makers Mark, Jim Beam, Willett Distillery, Wild Turkey and Heaven Hill.

Hi Carolyn, I am enjoying reading your review. My MIL and a friend will be on the American Queen sailing from New Orleans to Memphis in December. You mention tours. Where would they find the tours being offered (included and premium) and can they book them online ahead of time? Any info on tours would be most appreciated!:)

One of the nicest things about traveling on this ship is how many folks in port come out to see it -- lots of curiosity. Whole families bring picnics and hang out. And take some beautiful photographs. If you have access to Instagram, check out this hashtag (we're posting there too but are loving the shots others are putting up): #AmericanQueen.

Carolyn

Hi Lois,

She's doing the seven-day between New Orleans and Memphis, in March, on American Queen (same line Carolyn is on). However, to move up to a cabin with a window is thousands more.

I will tell you I was in my first inside cabin this past Feb., on Royal Caribbean, and didn't mind it at all. I left the bathroom light on with door closed, during the night, but there also was a sliver of light under the door to the hallway, and even an additional bit of light from the peephole! I wouldn't hesitate to take one again, but I know not everybody would be comfortable with it.

Edited by May B

Hi Lois,

She's doing the seven-day between New Orleans and Memphis, in March, on American Queen (same line Carolyn is on). However, to move up to a cabin with a window is thousands more.

I will tell you I was in my first inside cabin this past Feb., on Royal Caribbean, and didn't mind it at all. I left the bathroom light on with door closed, during the night, but there also was a sliver of light under the door to the hallway, and even an additional bit of light from the peephole! I wouldn't hesitate to take one again, but I know not everybody would be comfortable with it.

Hi May:)...I have been cruising for 13 years and have booked many

inside cabins. As the years have gone by I have been able to find

windows and balconies (sometimes) that are within my pricepoint. I won't

say I would never book an inside again but it would have to be something

really special on a really special itinerary....when I asked the gal at the

Cruise line about prices, even insides were more than I wanted to spend.

Edited by Lois R

This cruise sure sped past -- can't believe it's, as of today, over!

Had a great meet-up with Goat65 and his lovely wife yesterday. They are doing back to backs, so have encouraged them to post....

Any questions still outstanding? Please ask 'em and I'll do my best to provide answers.

Today I'll be writing a "hits and misses" piece from the trip. The hits far outweigh the misses :)

Carolyn