Our first river cruise - Scenic Sapphire

English Tim

We are very much looking forward to our first river cruise, next week, on Scenic Sapphire on the Rhone River, in France.

As there doesn't appear to be very much information on Scenic cruises, I'll try and post a few details followed by an end of cruise review.

So far our findings have been disappointing, as we are due to be picked up from our home at 03.00 on Monday, with 2 hour transfer to LHR, the short flight to Marseilles, where we are due to wait four hours for our transfer. I queried this with my TA, who states that Scenic have to wait for all their pax before they can leave the airport.

We are paying a lot of money for this cruise and I have asked them to make alternative arrangements for our transfer, as we are not prepared to wait around Marseilles airport for such a long time, especially due to the recent nearby terrorist attack.

Watch this space........

If you can't get an earlier transfer, you should consider getting access to one of the nice lounges at the airport. Priority Pass has 2 lounges at MRS, in terminals 1 and 3. For a 4-hour wait, it would be worth paying the fee for the comfy seats, food and drink, and extra security.

Welcome to CC and the River Cruising board. Please don't let the wait in the Airport cloud your trip. Some lines don't offer the service you are getting with Scenic. River cruising is a wonderful way to travel. Small group of people, most well traveled and fun to be with. Great food and scenery and towns. Can't believe we did the Rhone 10 years ago. Still one of my favorite trips. Be careful, river cruising can become addicting. Our 22nd is in Oct.

Pat

If you can't get an earlier transfer, you should consider getting access to one of the nice lounges at the airport. Priority Pass has 2 lounges at MRS, in terminals 1 and 3. For a 4-hour wait, it would be worth paying the fee for the comfy seats, food and drink, and extra security.

Welcome to CC and the River Cruising board. Please don't let the wait in the Airport cloud your trip. Some lines don't offer the service you are getting with Scenic. River cruising is a wonderful way to travel. Small group of people, most well traveled and fun to be with. Great food and scenery and towns. Can't believe we did the Rhone 10 years ago. Still one of my favorite trips. Be careful, river cruising can become addicting. Our 22nd is in Oct.

Pat

Thanks for your replies.

Our TA and Scenic (through Facebook) have just contacted me and arranged a private transfer, three hours earlier.

Do Scenic include any Champagne in their package?

My first river cruise was on the Scenic Sapphire two years ago and I loved it. All alcohol is included pretty much 24/7; if you want a premium label you supposedly have to pay extra but I've never actually seen anyone charged. I enjoyed a mimosa every morning about 11:00 on my Normandy cruise last September on the Scenic Gem.

My first river cruise was on the Scenic Sapphire two years ago and I loved it. All alcohol is included pretty much 24/7; if you want a premium label you supposedly have to pay extra but I've never actually seen anyone charged. I enjoyed a mimosa every morning about 11:00 on my Normandy cruise last September on the Scenic Gem.

We did ask the price of a premium single malt scotch and it was hefty :).

There were several other very nice options included, and we were very pleased with the included wines and liquors.

My sister and her husband cruised with Scenic last year and I just asked her about the extra cost for premium spirits and champagne and she told me that there was none. Her husband enjoys a single malt and he had an 18 year old Glenfiddich before dinner every night at no extra charge. That's premium in my book.

Edited by Ozjohnno

Morning Ozjohnno,

Are you the folks that are sailing on the Sapphire?

We as well are booked with the Sapphire but for September 24,2017. Doing Spectacular South of France with Paris and Monte Carlo and cruising on the newly remodeled Sapphire. We had originally booked into a Panorama Suite but got called by Scenic and asked if we wanted to Upgrade to one of the New Royal Owners Suites. So with reluctance gave up or Panorama Suite and shall see what an Owners suite has and make our comparison.

With having Oz in your board name I would make an assumption that you are from the Land Down Under? My mother was Australian and I had a house in Greensborough and was a buyer for Myers.

Love Scenic and all the Aussies as they have a way of really making a Cruise Funtastic..

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Morning Ozjohnno,

Are you the folks that are sailing on the Sapphire?

We as well are booked with the Sapphire but for September 24,2017. Doing Spectacular South of France with Paris and Monte Carlo and cruising on the newly remodeled Sapphire. We had originally booked into a Panorama Suite but got called by Scenic and asked if we wanted to Upgrade to one of the New Royal Owners Suites. So with reluctance gave up or Panorama Suite and shall see what an Owners suite has and make our comparison.

With having Oz in your board name I would make an assumption that you are from the Land Down Under? My mother was Australian and I had a house in Greensborough and was a buyer for Myers.

Love Scenic and all the Aussies as they have a way of really making a Cruise Funtastic..

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

No mate we're not river cruising this year. I was just passing on something that my sister had told me about her cruise with Scenic last year as to what was included at the bar. She really enjoyed her cruise.

Yes we're Aussies who at the moment are somewhat dependent on a visit from the Lotto fairy before we can plan our next trip. I hope you have a great time on yours next year.