Double Docking

flynnsky

We were just on our first River Cruise, we have been on a number of Cruise Ships so we know the ins and outs there.

I was not aware of Double Docking when we went on the Cruise and realize that because of the huge number of river ships that have come on stream since 2010 , port control, river conditions ,that they happen usually during peak months.

I guess my concern is that when I pay for a cruise I expect to get value for money spent and clear views.I loved the Cruise and would probably book another in off season months,would love to hear comments from experience river travelers. Cheers Dan

What you're describing is called 'rafting' and has been discussed at length on these boards.

It's often used as justification for booking 'aquarium class' rooms (lowest level), as often the view from a veranda room is blocked as a result of rafting.

We were just on our first River Cruise, we have been on a number of Cruise Ships so we know the ins and outs there.

I was not aware of Double Docking when we went on the Cruise and realize that because of the huge number of river ships that have come on stream since 2010 , port control, river conditions ,that they happen usually during peak months.

I guess my concern is that when I pay for a cruise I expect to get value for money spent and clear views.I loved the Cruise and would probably book another in off season months,would love to hear comments from experience river travelers. Cheers Dan

Rafting is just part of the whole river cruising experience. We actually kinda enjoyed being able to walk across other ships and looking around.

Mostly the views are while you are cruising, not while in port. In port, you are generally off the ship on an excursion or other adventure.

unfortunately as well as double there can be triple docking/rafting too. this can be for short or longer periods and is not confined to peak times.

agree it can disrupt views from the lovely big windows which also have a premium price.

it seems nothing can be done to avoid this happening or to pre alert passengers that this will happen and when.

some chose the rooms without big windows to mitigate any potential disappointment, but its not to everyone's taste.

another issue with the rafting is it can be difficult for some to move from 1 ship to another because sometimes climbing up/down steps is involved. perhaps not all travel agents are aware or disclose these issues to their clients.

We actually shared wine with a couple on a Viking boat Rafted 6 inches from our cabin window one evening and shared coffee and rolls with very surprised people early one morning. We started with our room service and had a great visit.

Making lemonade on the river is fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did a lot of research and so knew about the rafting. We booked a veranda room anyway. Despite the rafting I'm sure I'll get value for the money spent. I guess "value" like beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;) We just want to to be able able to to step outside if we feel like it

We have also been on many ocean cruises, but I think that's comparing apples to oranges. FYI even our cruise docs mention rafting

Not sure what you mean by getting value for money spent. Should the cruise line reimburse you because of the rafting? How about if it rains? These are things that can be expected and over which the cruise line has no control. [High- and low-water can also be expected -- from time to time -- but are considered unusual enough that the better cruise lines do make extra efforts to mitigate and/or compensate depending on how disruptive the problem became.]

We are currently on the Viking Skirnir, docked at Nuremberg. We have only been double docked once since Amsterdam and it was when we were on a tour. We have a balcony room and love it!! We enjoy sitting outside and enjoying the scenery and the extra space is nice!

We are currently on the Viking Skirnir, docked at Nuremberg. We have only been double docked once since Amsterdam and it was when we were on a tour. We have a balcony room and love it!! We enjoy sitting outside and enjoying the scenery and the extra space is nice!

So glad to hear that! Looking forward to having the balcony even if occasionally we are nose to nose with guests on another boat :) My husband will love having a refuge when I'm getting ready to go out or to dinner!

Rafting is just part of the whole river cruising experience. We actually kinda enjoyed being able to walk across other ships and looking around.

Mostly the views are while you are cruising, not while in port. In port, you are generally off the ship on an excursion or other adventure.

Do ships from different companies "raft" together? I might want to sample a different lines lunch buffet on our upcoming trip!

Do ships from different companies "raft" together? I might want to sample a different lines lunch buffet on our upcoming trip!

Yep! While I doubt that another boat will feed you, they have on occasion allowed us a walk through when we inquired.

We actually shared wine with a couple on a Viking boat Rafted 6 inches from our cabin window one evening and shared coffee and rolls with very surprised people early one morning. We started with our room service and had a great visit.

Making lemonade on the river is fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

J'Ville Gal nails it! We did that in Egypt with a lovely British couple....shared tea and cookies (too early for wine) and since we were going in opposite directions on the Nile were able to share tips on where each of us was going. In Russia it was wine with a couple who did not speak any English....most fun was finding a language both of us could speak! We settled on French! You can pull your drapes closed and sit in your darkened cabin and sulk or you can open them up and start smiling! When we first started river cruising we had never heard of rafting and had no idea what it was until it happened. Now Vantage (and I hope everyone else) puts it right in their tour description. It's probably here to stay because of the popularity of river cruising.

J'Ville Gal nails it! We did that in Egypt with a lovely British couple....shared tea and cookies (too early for wine) and since we were going in opposite directions on the Nile were able to share tips on where each of us was going. In Russia it was wine with a couple who did not speak any English....most fun was finding a language both of us could speak! ...

That sounds like a great time!

Seriously, how many people can say they have done that!

It wouldn't work for us...I guess we could do sign language or shadow puppets from our "basement" window!

We were rafted one day on our Romantic Danube cruise and I was up on the top deck listening to the Cruise Director on the boat next door give a very funny talk. I could hear him perfectly well. I should have gone next door and gotten a seat! He was so funny.

We were rafted one day on our Romantic Danube cruise and I was up on the top deck listening to the Cruise Director on the boat next door give a very funny talk. I could hear him perfectly well. I should have gone next door and gotten a seat! He was so funny.

It would have been even funnier if his boat set off while you were sitting there! :eek:

It would have been even funnier if his boat set off while you were sitting there! :eek:

It happened on our cruise two weeks ago. A passenger from our ship was talking with folks on another and didn't realize we were leaving. At the same time a passenger from the other vessel had fallen asleep on the top deck of our ship. We got only a hundred yards upstream before the 'stowaways' realized their errors so we floated back and swapped passengers. :)

Paul

Did you thoroughly read your "Terms and Conditions"? The possibility of rafting is clearly stated in the documentation I received from Scenic.

Also, if you used a travel agent, they should have explained the possibility.

Did you thoroughly read your "Terms and Conditions"? The possibility of rafting is clearly stated in the documentation I received from Scenic.

Also, if you used a travel agent, they should have explained the possibility.

This was only one small negative on a spectacular cruise ,including 2 1/2 days in Cannes and 6 days in Paris.I have learned a lot from the experience of all the people who shared on this post. I also might say this forum is a lot different from some of the other forums I post on who like to preach and throw out opinions rather than share their their experience. Thank so much.

I did not realize there was a time while cruising.

LOL!

I didn't have any wine in my cabin....left anyway....so we had to go with what we had!! But wine would probably have made finding a common language a lot easier!!

It happened on our cruise two weeks ago. A passenger from our ship was talking with folks on another and didn't realize we were leaving. At the same time a passenger from the other vessel had fallen asleep on the top deck of our ship. We got only a hundred yards upstream before the 'stowaways' realized their errors so we floated back and swapped passengers. :)

Paul

This is hysterical!! I would love to have been there to see the faces of both "stowaways" as they changed ships.....not to mention when they walked into the dining room that night. LOL.

Our first cruise was in October, 2010 and we were drafting (double docking) back them and I do not believe that was "peak time". It just is what it is and most likely no way around it. This past cruise that I took June 2015 on the Danube we never did any drafting. Go figure!

What is the alternative/solution to double docking?

Wouldn't you need to find a suitable large area where every river cruise ship could have its own berth?

I don't think you could find that area in any of the current downtown ports.

You would end up in an area far removed from the downtown. Double docking has it’s regrets but it keeps us in a downtown area. That’s the way I look at it.