Wine on Viking

Idratherbeatsea

While we've cruised with Viking numerous times I don't recall specifically which wines are served. At lunch & dinner the included wines are a red and/or white choice but some nights they showcase different wines also included. Unless things have changed since May, I don't think their wines are from their own vineyard, tho don't hold me to it. If this is important, give them a call and ask, at least you'd get the correct answer.

Hope you enjoy your river cruise which ever line you choose.

I don't believe they have their own winery. They always offer a red and a white, and I always chose the white, a Chardonnay. It was very good, but beware, they will continue to fill up your wineglass even if you don't ask them to. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Greetings.

Here is a youtube clip from Viking about a vintner they use:

This is what was served on our Danube cruise last year, and both the white and red were just fine. The wines used on the Bordeaux cruise were much better, however.

Your glass will be full at all times :)

Jeff

Viking wine is mostly phlonk unless you consider Beringer white zinfandel good wine and then you'll be fine. On my last Viking cruise by the third night many of the tables were taking advantage of Viking's no corkage policy and and cruiser provided wine was on most all tables. I don't believe Viking has a winery, what they have is a contract with a winery that private labels phlonk for Viking.

We've never had an issue with wine served on Viking after 6 cruises, guess we don't have a sophisticated palate and aren't wine snobs. As stated above, you're always welcome to ask and pay for another wine if the house wine isn't to your liking or bring on wine with no corkage fee as long as it's enjoyed at meals or in your cabin.

What brand of beer(s) do they serve for free during lunch/dinner?

As said, they serve the Bitberger, a weissbier (forget the name), Budweiser :eek:, and Beck's non-alcoholic. I wouldn't say the beer selection is anything to write home about. We brought our own every day after the excursions. The bartenders are happy to give you glasses and a bottle opener. BTW, the fridge in the cabins is a real fridge, and keeps beer nice and cool, unlike the "coolers" found on many ocean cruise lines. Nice!

Viking wine is mostly phlonk unless you consider Beringer white zinfandel good wine and then you'll be fine. On my last Viking cruise by the third night many of the tables were taking advantage of Viking's no corkage policy and and cruiser provided wine was on most all tables. I don't believe Viking has a winery, what they have is a contract with a winery that private labels phlonk for Viking.

I share your taste in wine, but I have never seen this term spelled with an 'h' except in your posts. Google doesn't have it either. Wikipedia is pretty clear that it's "plonk":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plonk_(wine)

PS -- my standard for plonk wine is Rumpole of the Bailey, who over the course of the books graduated from Chateau Fleet Street to Chateau Thames Embankment. :)

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

This matches comments from couples we have met throughout the years on our river cruises who sailed with Viking previously. The word they used most often was "swill".

Edited by caviargal

My friends did a Danube cruise and had a great time. They said the wines were fine, but after a few days, got tired of them. They would bring wine on board from their ports to enjoy in the dining room, cabin, and on top deck while enjoying the views on the river. It's great that Viking doesn't have a corkage fee.

Monica

Vikings own label red & white wines are from the Morwald winery in Austria. They are Gruner Veltliner and Zweigelt respectively, appellation Wachau Valley. They are not plonk by any possible definition

The own label sparkling wine is off-dry + German Sekt, usually called champagne by the crew, which of course it is not, and plonk would not be an unfair description.

But Viking has expanded so fast and big that one winery cannot meet demand and you'll find other wines.

Bordeaux is a wine focused tour, and wine is the focus here, and winres from appellations visited are served with unlimited third growth Margaux Ch. margaux on the included dinner.

Douro they serve some good local Portuguese wines.

But worryingly on the Rhone trip some wines were plonk, a Chardonnay and merlot.

However, a pleasure is to buy local wines at places visited and enjoy on board.

I didn't have it, but rose wine is also available.

Over al , with a couple of exceptions, Vikings wines are worth drinking.

This thread perfectly illustrates why one size does not fit all re: river cruising. For some, as illustrated in this thread, wine choice is important. OTOH, if you cannot drink due to medical conditions, or are a light, occasional drinker, wine choice is not a big deal.

If wine is important, then find a cruise line that makes you happy. There is no reason to disparage cruise lines simply over their wines.

As said, they serve the Bitberger, a weissbier (forget the name), Budweiser :eek:, and Beck's non-alcoholic. I wouldn't say the beer selection is anything to write home about. We brought our own every day after the excursions. The bartenders are happy to give you glasses and a bottle opener. BTW, the fridge in the cabins is a real fridge, and keeps beer nice and cool, unlike the "coolers" found on many ocean cruise lines. Nice!

They are going to think we are Clampetts when we show up next week...I only drink Budweiser!

Absolutely correct! Some people are also not "foodies" and could care less about the quality of food served by a cruise line. Therefore, by the above reasoning, one shouldn't disparage a cruise line over the quality of food served aboard! If food quality is important to them, they should seek out cruise lines that specialize in food. Guess that's why we sail Oceania for ocean cruises! ;)

I wonder how the poster above defines a wine snob? If one doesn't like Keystone Light beer, and it was the only choice, and turned it down for water, does that make them a beer snob? :eek: Someone must like the stuff because a lot seems to be sold, just not to me! Our Viking cruise did have a couple of good beer selections to choose from fortunately.

The Rose, on the Rhone cruise was decent, and the best wine they provided. The merlot and chard was plonk! Along with many others, we bought great Rhone wines along the way, and fully participated in their no corkage policy. Collectively, we saved Viking money by allowing them to serve those house wines to future cruisers on later trips. ;)

We have been on 4 Viking River cruises. They usually try to provide wines from the local area. There is always a red and a white. Usually the wines are rotated so there is a difference.

We wines provided are OK. Nothing exceptional,but not bad...drinkable and plentiful.

They are going to think we are Clampetts when we show up next week...I only drink Budweiser!

Dodger Dodger Dodger!!! Live wild and at least try a sip or two of some nice European beers! :p

Dodger Dodger Dodger!!! Live wild and at least try a sip or two of some nice European beers! :p

It is funny how things are changing...some (or many?) of my friends ask to see the "beer list" at local bars...Craft Beers (fad or not??) have taken hold!

It is funny how things are changing...some (or many?) of my friends ask to see the "beer list" at local bars...Craft Beers (fad or not??) have taken hold!

No, definitely not a fad and once you get used to the taste of craft beer--which is really "homemade small batch" beer to use a cooking analogy--you don't go back. Seriously though, Budweiser has its origins in a Bohemian recipe brought from Germany so why not seize the opportunity to taste the beers that inspired Budweiser? I hope you do! It's part of the fun of a river cruise. They don't mind if you bring local brews on board. Friends of ours were on the Danube Waltz last summer and they said everyone brought their locally bought beers (and wines) up on the top deck during the scenic parts of the sailing and the waiters brought up all the glasses for them and canapes/snacks as well. Lots of people passed their bottles around for impromptu tasting parties. :D I hope that's the case when we're on board next month. Prost!

Does this mean you can't bring wine to the sun deck or public areas on Viking longships?

Read my post above. Our friends said everyone enjoyed the sunshine and scenery on the upper deck on their Rhine Getaway cruise...with the wine and beer they'd purchased in town after excursions. They said the cruise director encouraged everyone to try the local stuff. :D