Shipboard money conversions

Magnum60

I've never really thought about this question because when visiting a foreign country I use ATMs ashore for buying local currency, especially in ports where local currency might be needed and US dollars aren't readily accepted.

Will/can Windstar do currency exchanges at the reception desk? If yes, does Windstar stick a little 'nugget' on your bill for that service on top of what the current exchange rate has charged for the conversion? I ask because finding an open bank or a secure ATM in some ports isn't always easy or convenient. For purchases over [about] $15.00 USD I use 'plastic' that doesn't add an overseas service charge to my monthly bill.

I also make it a point in restaurants or any place where a tip is appropriate to tip in cash when using a charge card. Doing so makes sure that the person I chose to tip gets the tip and not their boss. Keep in mind that anyone you've paid in USD or any non local currency has to do a money conversion just like we did so, like us, they too have lost value in the transaction.

WS does not do currency exchanges. We generally get foreign currency when we leave home so we have immediate cash handy for cabs, airports, etc. We use a card out of the country that does not charge a fee for exchange. Before we go anywhere that might not have readily available ATM's (small islands, small euro ports) we get cash. We learned this the hard way years ago! The firm we purchase currency from has a flat fee and will buy back anything left when we return. I prefer keeping my pounds and euros for future trips though and replenish as needed.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

WS does not do currency exchanges. We generally get foreign currency when we leave home so we have immediate cash handy for cabs, airports, etc. We use a card out of the country that does not charge a fee for exchange. Before we go anywhere that might not have readily available ATM's (small islands, small euro ports) we get cash. We learned this the hard way years ago! The firm we purchase currency from has a flat fee and will buy back anything left when we return. I prefer keeping my pounds and euros for future trips though and replenish as needed.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Have you checked the exchange rate your local firm uses? They're almost always sky high.