President and additionnal ships news

dandee2

Not a lot of news there. I'd have been more encouraged if the plan was to concentrate on getting the ship of state back where it needs to be and THEN talk about adding more ships. I know some disagree, but in our experience on multiple cruises since the purchase they are still scrambling to ramp up from 3 to 6.

I agree, Strenz. The purchase of the Club Med ship would be a real asset to WINDSTAR since the Wind Surf is still their premier ship. The motor yachts are coming along, and expanding their itineraries to other areas would be helpful.

I agree, Strenz. The purchase of the Club Med ship would be a real asset to WINDSTAR since the Wind Surf is still their premier ship. The motor yachts are coming along, and expanding their itineraries to other areas would be helpful.

Except for the small problem that she isn't for sale! At least we can dream.

Hello 2Lovetotravel, we live in Orleans near the Areys Pond Yard. If you are in Chathan come over for a drink and let's talk WS. We are home all summer not in August taking a supply ship all the way up the St Lawrence River to where it meets the Atlantic. Would love to meet you. Susanne

WS really needs to order some new build ships similar the the Star. Right now, the majority of their cabins are on powered ships and those, IMHO, compete with the mass market ships. There is nothing special about them - even playing 1492 on them really means nothing.

WS really needs to order some new build ships similar the the Star. Right now, the majority of their cabins are on powered ships and those, IMHO, compete with the mass market ships. There is nothing special about them - even playing 1492 on them really means nothing.

I've been told by captains that there is no way to build more ships like the star at a cost that makes sense. True or not? I don't know.

I've been told by captains that there is no way to build more ships like the star at a cost that makes sense. True or not? I don't know.

We have been told the same thing. That size ship is cost prohibitive to build. Was also told the purchase of the Club Med was in the works. We will see!

Yes it cost lots to build similar ship BUT, WS got the 3 sailships for a fraction of what they're worth. Basically for nothing.

Carnival Corp., HAL’s parent, sold Windstar to Ambassador in 2007 for $100 million.

Then Ambassador went under and Anschuts Corp. bought Ambassador assets for $39 millions back in 2011. Anschults is the Parent company of Xanterra. WS then spend $18 millions to rejuvenante all 3 sailing ships.

So you have 3 sailing ship for about $60 millions.

Construction cost for Club Med 1 was $100 millions US back in 1990. That's around $190M in today's dollars.

Star Clipper is building a new sailship - Flying Clipper, which will sail starting in 2017.

dandee2

That would be great if they bought the Club Med boat, I have asked Captain after Captain and as far as I have been told they want to buy it, they were going to buy it, the Chinese bought Club Med therefore not for sale, i have had my fingers crossed for years. Let's hope! Happy Sailing

My guess (and it's only a very humble guess) is that one day they will get Club Med II - multiple Windstar captains have told me that the company is trying to get it, but Club Med II is owned by multiple people and getting agreement on a sale is quite difficult.

I also think that one day Windstar will acquire the 2 SeaDream boats (whenever SeaDream gets new ones), as they would be a good fit with the fleet, e.g. small size, marina, suites.

As for other boats, what else is there right now in the under 300 pax range?

-Ocean Diamond (previously Radisson Song of Flower)

-Le Levant / MV Tere Moana (previously Ponant and Paul Gauguin)

-Le Ponant (Ponant)

WS needs to be NOT known for only having old ships that are in need of refurbishment. Look at the Legend etc, even tho they have gone through an extensive refurbishment, there are still comments about how old the ships look and feel. Just like a car, a ship can only look good for so long. New ships may cost a bunch but they require much less maintenance etc than 30 year old ships. You can only put on so many coats of paint to cover the rust.

Old ships have innate beauty and good bones. I think the sailing ships are lovely and graceful. You see them and compare to any motor yacht they are a WOW. On the ocean I want grace, I do not need top heavy, skating rinks, fake climbing walls, chandeliers, Shopping malls. I want peaceful space, to look up and see grace of sails, to look over the railings and see the expanse of the mighty ocean. As for the WS motor yachts small, lots of lovely space, pretty lines, grace in the water. I loved the deck aft off the Yacht Club, I loved the bow space with the hot tub leaning over and being so close to the water, seeing her gliding over the water. I was in a veranda room, the slidung glass door worked, the water worked, it was quiet, never noticed rust, it is salt air and water after all. I would love it if the old SS France sailed again, old can be pretty in different ways. I love the sense of civility these ships present, people civilized, whispering so not to intrude on the space of others, no hogging chairs, politeness, friendly and civilzed. That is what we want on the water that is why we so enjoy the " old " ships sails and motors of WS. Happy Sailing

I agree Strenz. Something about these graceful, small, older ships seems to bring a civility to cruising that has been lost on the big ships.

PS--Le Ponant is not Antarctica friendly, I was thinking of a different ship and realized it this morning. Sorry for any confusion.

Old ships have innate beauty and good bones. I think the sailing ships are lovely and graceful. You see them and compare to any motor yacht they are a WOW. On the ocean I want grace, I do not need top heavy, skating rinks, fake climbing walls, chandeliers, Shopping malls. I want peaceful space, to look up and see grace of sails, to look over the railings and see the expanse of the mighty ocean. As for the WS motor yachts small, lots of lovely space, pretty lines, grace in the water. I loved the deck aft off the Yacht Club, I loved the bow space with the hot tub leaning over and being so close to the water, seeing her gliding over the water. I was in a veranda room, the slidung glass door worked, the water worked, it was quiet, never noticed rust, it is salt air and water after all. I would love it if the old SS France sailed again, old can be pretty in different ways. I love the sense of civility these ships present, people civilized, whispering so not to intrude on the space of others, no hogging chairs, politeness, friendly and civilzed. That is what we want on the water that is why we so enjoy the " old " ships sails and motors of WS. Happy Sailing

Beautifully said Strenz. these sailing ships may be old, but they have staying power and are very special. In the Caribbean, we love the Surf....just booked back to back in Feb. would love to meet you at the cape, on Facebook.

Well, everything has a price. Something tells me that Club Med is just asking too much.

Agree though. She is obviously a perfect fit otherwise.

Unless, as I've been told many times it's being used as a tax loss.

Beautifully said Strenz. these sailing ships may be old, but they have staying power and are very special. In the Caribbean, we love the Surf....just booked back to back in Feb. would love to meet you at the cape, on Facebook.

Until the basic technology reaches the end of a useful life, which I've heard is approaching.