Legend or Surf for more outside areas? Also, best pool?

dcsam

Looking at a Caribbean cruise aboard the Legend or Surf. What ship has more outside areas? One thing I really can't stand about most of the main cruise line ships is that feeling you can't get outside to soak up the sights and fresh air. Also, what ship has the better pool as far as size and easy access in and out? My husband has some walking challenges. Looked at the Tahiti cruise and the ship doesn't appear to be suited to those with walking issues. So the Caribbean it is. Just deciding between the two ships. Thank you

Surf has more outside area. Honestly we never used the pool on either but I would say they are about equal size. Cabins larger on Legend. Sails on Surf are lovely. Less motion on Surf. Prefer Legend's tenders. To me, itinerary is the tie breaker.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yes, more outside space on the Surf. I am a swimmer I need a pool. Both are small the Surf's a tad bigger both do the job for me. Getting into both about the same only the Breeze pool is shallower. We adore the sails I love port holes my husband loved the French balcony on the Breeze. Less motion on the Surf. Tenders are tenders it all depends on how rough it is, for that we have no control. We adored the Breeze but preference we are sail people, that being said we would do the Breeze again in a nano second. I do not think I helped you sorry. Have a great time.

Without a doubt, the Surf is the more open ship....with more outside deck space. The Surf is a horizontal ship, unlike the "cake layer" vertical architecture of all the motor yachts, Having been on the Legend recently since the renovation, the pool was removed, and replaced with a very small pool so that the Veranda could be expanded. The "new" pool is hardly a pool at all. The pool on the Surf, while not huge offers a large enough area to cool off. For anyone with mobility challenges, the Surf is the best because the tenders load from midship on deck 1, which is more stable than the stern quarter loading of all of the motor yachts. Also, the Wind Spirit, currently on the Tahiti run does not have elevators. We will be on our 15th and 16th voyages with our beloved Wind star Cruises in February, unless we go sooner! You will love it.

Even with elevators it would be very difficult for someone with really severe mobility issues to disembark in most ports. The stairs are very steep on many stops. 32 steps to be exact. I count as I get shakey on stairs and escalators and counting stabilizes me. Weird? Anyhow last cruise in May a passenger

was very upset as she had some pretty severe physical limitations and was unable to get off in several ports. She was not at all happy but I would have thought she would have asked more questions before booking a sailing ship. On the other hand one of the nicest people I ever met was a 92 year old on the Spirit who knew there was no elevator and couldn't get off in port but was happy to just be on board and on the ocean. We sat at the bar every day and talked about his marvelous life.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Our very dear friends wanted to gonto Tall Ships last year with us. We has extensive mobility isdues, unstable, uses a cane, could not get into a tender. He called WS and told them his issues and how much he wanted to go and they honestly advised him not to go. I was happy about that because when we saw him in England I knew he would not have been safe. You need to ask specific questions be honest and precise. The Two small ships do not have elevators,the Surf has two fore and aft. The motor ships have two elevators. Good Luck.

We spent two weeks in the Surf. On both legs there were people with mobility issues. The first week there was a woman with a badly broken leg who was more or less confined to a wheelchair. I think she was actually able to get off the ship in a single port where we docked as opposed to tendered. The second leg the gentlemen used a cane and could go up and down the steps to the tenders, but said it was very, very difficult.

The Surf has elevators fore and aft. Never a wait as most people just take the stairs. I used them a few times when my asthma was acting up, so am sure they exist.

As much as I love Windstar, I think if I had limited mobility I would choose a different line which could better accommodate my needs.

Thanks so much for the feedback. I had looked into the Tahiti cruise, but decided that's a 'no go' due to cost and accessibility for a person with walking impairments. Ease of getting to the ship is probably more important than the ship itself, so the Caribbean trips look a bit more doable. My husband does do steps. We walk daily at the beach and steps/stairs are not a problem either. He often uses treking poles to help keep his balance and we hold hands if things get a bit more challenging (lucky me;-). He also does a daily workout with weights and an elliptical here at home. Just this past February/March, we spent 3 weeks in 4 different locations in Costa Rica. And a month in Mexico in December. An Alaska cruise this past May and camping in May too. Gotta keep him on his toes. Still, his stoke was severe and has changed how we travel.

We now look for cruises where we can enjoy just 'being' rather than 'doing, doing, doing'. You can find us just 'chillin' poolside while in port. We don't do tours where a lot of walking is involved. Give us a nice beach; great ship lounging, and we're happy campers. This ship certainly seems just as 'doable' as the main line cruises we've taken. Our favorite lines are Azamara and Holland America. Star Clippers seems like a better step up. Now that the ship looks like a good fit, I should check out the ease of getting from Seattle to St. Marten. That's probably the biggest glitch. Thanks again for your feedback.

Sounds like he could do this, just ask questions and there is nothing like the Surf in just lounging deck side, very beautiful, very relaxing and the service is so spectacular you will be extremely well taken care of with dignity, not hovering. My husband has disbetes when we travel it is in steps. Boston-Miami and over night then down. Makes a difference. Happy Sailing

Sounds like he could do this, just ask questions and there is nothing like the Surf in just lounging deck side, very beautiful, very relaxing and the service is so spectacular you will be extremely well taken care of with dignity, not hovering. My husband has disbetes when we travel it is in steps. Boston-Miami and over night then down. Makes a difference. Happy Sailing

I agree with this. I would fly direct from SEA to an airport with a hotel in the terminal that you could then get a direct flight to SXM the next day. Call the airline to book, tell them you need a forced overnight in whatever airport you'd like to choose and a morning flight the next day. Some options might be PHL on AA or HOU on UA.

We found a direct flight from Minneapolis to Phillipsburg this past January on Delta. The direct flight doesn't fly everyday but we traveled on a Saturday (which was a direct flight) which worked perfect for our Wind Surf cruise.

Just want to make a small correction in airline terminology here. A "direct" flight is NOT the same as a "nonstop" flight. A direct flight could have stops on the way to the final destination, but the same equipment will be used so the passengers will not need to deplane. A nonstop flight has no stops along the way.

So be careful in booking if what you want is a "nonstop" flight.

Just want to make a small correction in airline terminology here. A "direct" flight is NOT the same as a "nonstop" flight. A direct flight could have stops on the way to the final destination, but the same equipment will be used so the passengers will not need to deplane. A nonstop flight has no stops along the way.

So be careful in booking if what you want is a "nonstop" flight.

A warning. "direcr" flights can also include a change of planes enroute, and the flight is not guaranteed.

For example let's assume a "direct flight" is Minneapolis to Atlanta on a Boeing 777 switching to a 737 in Atlanta to St Maarten. If the 777 arrives late in Atlanta, you will miss the second leg. Delta will not hold the plane. (Been there, done that.)

When faced with that we will always book an earlier flight and plan on a long wait time in the connection city.

My mistake but one you will like! The Delta flight we took from MSP to St Martin was a NONSTOP flight leaving on a Saturday and returning on a Saturday. There was another option on other days to fly to Atlanta first.

We fly from San Diego to Caribbean ports a lot. We use American and book via the multi-city option. I have lower back issues and need an o'nite when going to Caribbean, and Miami works best for us re our starting point. Easy to get it all set up doing the "multi-city" option when booking.

I agree with this. I would fly direct from SEA to an airport with a hotel in the terminal that you could then get a direct flight to SXM the next day. Call the airline to book, tell them you need a forced overnight in whatever airport you'd like to choose and a morning flight the next day. Some options might be PHL on AA or HOU on UA.

We did this exact thing last December. SEA-CLT - overnight at an airport hotel(5 minutes) - and a morning flight CLT-SXM. It was a very nice way to go.