Just Back From the Star Breeze

diane.in.ny

We took a back to back, Canary Islands to Lisbon and Lisbon to Barcelona.

We were in cabin 111 and had hoped to avoid some of the problems with the ship itself but were not that lucky. Within the first 4 days, we had water back up into the tub (dirty but not waste water), a big leak under the sink and a toilet that stopped flushing. Everything was taken care of within hours of our informing staff and we had no more issues for the remainder of our 16 day cruise.

As previously mentioned, the staff was outstanding!! Food was very good to excellent.

Couple of caveats:

This is a small ship and can get bounced around a bit. We knew this could happen and it did. One night getting up to go to the bathroom proved a bit difficult. :)

As a destination based cruise line, there is not much to do if you stay on board during a port of call. Not unexpected. Just mentioning it here for anyone who might expect otherwise.

All in all we had a great trip and I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Thanks for the info. We are taking the Star Breeze in September. Its our first Windstar. We have been on one of the larger Seabourn ships and it was fabulous. Did you happen to use the gym at all? That is my one concern..although now you did make me a little nervous about our cabin. I forgot the number but it is BS1

Don't remember the category for our cabin but it was the lowest one.

The gym is small. I think there were two treadmills and one stationary bike plus some weights but don't quote me on it. I can't tell you how busy it was or not. Never poked my head in there again after the first time.

Diane, we would love to hear about what you did in the ports. I know that you were considering several possibilities in some. Thanks for any port tips. We will be doing this cruise in the fall.

Hi Jean

Which itinerary are you going to be on?

Hi Diane, We will be on the Spanish Serenade in early November. Thanks!

Portimao

We took the Scenic Algarve Western Journey which was very nice. My original plan was to go to the beach but the weather was not conducive to that on our sailing. The ship ran a shuttle into town and to the beach for those who want to go on their own.

Seville

We used Marta from Toursevilla. The ship docks right in Seville and she met us outside the terminal. We had two other couples with us, one found on the roll call and one who had contacted her directly also. Cost was 30 Euros per person for 3 hr tour.

Unfortunately we had absolutely horrible weather in Seville. POURED. But Marta was great and I highly recommend her.

Gibraltar

I just walked around the downtown but many people hired taxis to take them to see the apes. Again, we had lousy weather.

Malaga

In Malaga the chef did a market tour ... no cost. It was wonderful. Got to sample a lot of the food as he went from booth to booth. Afterwards, I went back to the ship (left a sick husband on board) but most people wandered from there into the city. Easy walk from where the ship was docked into the city and back.

Almeria

We did the Alhambra tour. The Alhambra had been on my bucket list a long time. But to be honest, it was not as grand as I anticipated, especially after seeing the Alcazar in Seville. That said, we drove through some beautiful scenery, the gardens at the Alhambra were gorgeous, the views were spectacular and the lunch we had afterwards was excellent.

Palma

A still sick husband kept me on board but we did manage to make it to the special event which we thoroughly enjoyed.

Thanks Diane, sorry to hear about your sick husband and the weather -it is hard when that happens. I was hoping that you had taken the train in Palma and then the walking tour that was mentioned on a previous post. I think that we are going to try that.

Again, thanks for the tips.

Don't remember the category for our cabin but it was the lowest one.

The gym is small. I think there were two treadmills and one stationary bike plus some weights but don't quote me on it. I can't tell you how busy it was or not. Never poked my head in there again after the first time.

We were on the SB in March. The gym is adequate but be forewarned that the ceiling is low. DH who is 6'3" could not have used the treadmill without his head hitting the ceiling. Otherwise we both had perfectly decent workouts. It was busy without having to wait for equipment. Here are some photos, sorry they are so small.

gym01.jpg.5e2d583270d4f331714221736dcd3797.jpg

gym02.jpg.d1d57e1f8cadebfeab39b370f1e3f684.jpg

Thanks Diane, sorry to hear about your sick husband and the weather -it is hard when that happens. I was hoping that you had taken the train in Palma and then the walking tour that was mentioned on a previous post. I think that we are going to try that.

Again, thanks for the tips.

I really wanted to take the train. But taking the train interfered with the Windstar Private Event. In Palma only until 5 pm and it was meet on the pier for the private event at 1:30. No way to do the train AND do that. Considering how my husband felt, we opted for the private event, knowing that if we ever get back to Palma, the train will still be there :)

MJC, thank you for the photos. I am only 5'3" so I will be fine :) My husband is 6' so I will warn him . I know we will be walking alot on our excursions, but we both love to work out. The smallest ship were were on previously had 450 passengers which was great. They had a small gym by big ship standards. but it was perfect, never waited for a machine. I also did Pilates twice during the week which was nice. We have never been on a 10 day cruise. So that combined iwth the small size is making me a little nervous in general. Hopefully the weather and waters in September in Italy will cooperate.

MJC, thank you for the photos. I am only 5'3" so I will be fine :) My husband is 6' so I will warn him . I know we will be walking alot on our excursions, but we both love to work out. The smallest ship were were on previously had 450 passengers which was great. They had a small gym by big ship standards. but it was perfect, never waited for a machine. I also did Pilates twice during the week which was nice. We have never been on a 10 day cruise. So that combined iwth the small size is making me a little nervous in general. Hopefully the weather and waters in September in Italy will cooperate.

There is an exercise instructor on board and he holds classes in the morning. I saw both Pilates and yoga classes offered a couple of times over the course of the cruise.

On our first sailing, I would say there were some honeymoon couples ... in their late 20s.

Generally, though, I'd have to guess ages were 40s and up.

As for booking another Windstar cruise ... my husband has some health issues. If it wasn't for that, yes, I would book another cruise on one of the motor vessels. For DH though, the ship is too small, with too much motion at times, and he was afraid of falling.

Hello Diane, we will be on our first SB Windstar cruise in June. Thanks for posting info on the ship. What would you say was the minimum age of passengers on your cruise? Will you book another Windstar cruise? Thank you.

WS skews toward a somewhat older crowd, but it doesn't mean they aren't active or fun. The lack of huge wet areas with waterslides etc. probably tends to keep families with younger children away, but there are always some. There are always some young couples, although they are often in the "hurrah, the last child just left home" age group. The ships are never overrun with people, so the only issue for younger people would be if they're hoping to meet and spend a lot of time with similarly-aged couples. We've sat at dinner with people in their 90s who were fascinating and entertaining.

With the ships being in a port almost every day, we've experienced many couples who leave the ship after breakfast every day to go off by themselves and then return in time for a drink on deck and then dinner - for which they'll happily seat you alone if you want. In the dining room the tables are far enough apart that there's never anyone right on top of you.

In terms of "active" - on our last trip we watched people who were probably in their 80s happily scrambling into a zodiac when the sea was literally flingingit from side to side, to the point where we were saying we couldn't believe that the crew continued boarding.

Edited by milepig

We will be on the Star Breeze in a few weeks. I'm considering using the all inclusive laundry since we will be on our second week of vacation using only carry ons. Do you remember the general prices of laundry by the piece so I can compare that to the all inclusive.

We will be on the Star Breeze in a few weeks. I'm considering using the all inclusive laundry since we will be on our second week of vacation using only carry ons. Do you remember the general prices of laundry by the piece so I can compare that to the all inclusive.

Sorry. I don't have that information.

But just an FYI, we hand wash and, in general, the cabins are 'dry' so everything dried pretty quickly. There is a clothesline above the tub and I have a clothes line that stretches and was able to attach it from the towel rack above the end of the tub to the grab bar under the shower head. So we had a double line.

I save space on the line by using hangers with skirt clips for things like underwear and t-shirts (hang upside down). I also have plastic clothespins that I picked up at the $ store. Once the stuff finishes dripping, I move to the closet to finish drying.

I highly recommend you purchase the laundry package. It is an excellent deal, and they do a fantastic job. We have used the laundry package on all 6 of our Windstar cruises and will continue to do so on future cruises.

Thanks. I think we will just use the laundry package and not worry. Since we will be in Trieste for the week before the cruise, I'm sure to have laundry by the time we get to Venice. It will be easier to not have to worry with it.

I always use the laundry. It is great. I travel,with almost nothing so the laundry service is so helpful. I even ask for clothes to washed with cold water and hung dry no problem, perfectly done everytime. Out by 9 back at 4. Happy Sailing.

Thanks. I think we will just use the laundry package and not worry. Since we will be in Trieste for the week before the cruise, I'm sure to have laundry by the time we get to Venice. It will be easier to not have to worry with it.

This is a great plan. Send it all out as soon as you embark and then plan to send it back out in time to be finished the afternoon before you disembark. Return home with clean clothes!